Turn 4: Suit Up

The Fifth Devil Dawgs Campaign takes the Marines to new depths.
Corporal Hicks
Major

Turn 4: Suit Up

Post by Corporal Hicks » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:32 pm

The Marines had a little over 90 minutes to get used to the tight quarters of the submarine: the narrow corridors where two people had to turn sideways to pass each other, the bunks with roofs so low that you couldn’t even sit up in them.

“Captain, all hands are below, all external hatches are sealed, all is prepped and ready. I intend to submerge the ship to depth one point five five.”

“Carry on,” replied the Captain.

“Dive, dive!” came across the radio. “Dive, dive!” The Marines perceived a deep groaning as the submarine submerged. As the depth increased, the metal in the walls and bulkheads began to tick and creak. The depth was less perceptible than in 21st century submarines since there were more efficient means of atmospheric control.

It took them almost three hours to reach the vicinity of where the Quantum Herald struck the sea. Once in the area, the submarine’s crew began to scan the surrounding water and dive to much greater depths. The Porter Sea was not very deep compared to some of Earth’s more impressive oceans. But it was deep enough that an unsuited human’s head would pop like a watermelon in a vice grip.

“Depth, two-five hundred!” cried a crewman. Two men on the bridge reviewed a 3D sonar map of the ocean floor. After some time, one of them pointed to a red blip; an anomaly. The Captain looked and saw that it was the Quantum Herald, now settled on the bottom.

Lieutenant Harper called the Marines together in the hallway outside the bunkrooms. It wasn’t large enough for more then a half dozen bodies, so the rest of them listened from inside the cramped bunkrooms. “Marines, we have located the Quantum Herald. Time to suit up.” The Marines followed a nimble sailor through the cramped hallway, squeezing past some people going the other way. They were led to a small room near the back of the submarine which contained enough Mark 35 pressure suits for everyone.

“They will feel clumsy at first, but once you are under severe pressure they will loosen up and become significantly easier to operate.” The heavy suits were made of metal composites and looked very bulky and clunky.

The Marines then moved to the mach tires. Each mini-sub could hold two individuals and one HARDsuit. They also had one hook on the bottom where a HARDsuited Marine could dangle like a piece of bait. In the immense pressure, there was likely no way to exit the minisubs, so six of the Marines would have to hang precariously below them. The others would wait inside the minisubs until an airlock could hypothetically be used to enter the ship. If there was no working airlock, there would certainly be no way to rescue anybody, so it was a safe gamble.

(OOC: I’m very sorry for the delay. Real life was a bitch this last week. Feel free to choose if you want to dangle like bait or cozy inside the minisub. Remember, six danglers and six inside. There is also a navy operator inside each minisub.)
Pressure_suit.png
Pressure_suit.png (127.76 KiB) Viewed 8570 times
sub1.jpg
sub1.jpg (50.71 KiB) Viewed 8570 times
ImageSgtMaj. Danny Sykes - Platoon NCO
USCM Special Forces Recon Team
Serial Number: D26/TQ6.3.48412E9
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Oliver Grisham
Private

Re: Turn 4: Suit Up

Post by Oliver Grisham » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:35 pm

“I’m as suited to hangin’ beneath as anyone I’ll warrant. ‘Tis no be’er than I deserve. If there’s aught to be said for me I’m not one to complain” said Grisham stepping forward a resigned look on his lumpy face. At first his intention was unclear but the others understood that he was volunteering as he began putting on the hardsuit.

LT_Chun
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by LT_Chun » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:44 pm

"3rd Squad volunteers to dangle Lieutenant." Henniger looked at his three Marines as he said it, he saw no shirking there, good Marines.

<tag everyone>
ImageLCPL. J. Henniger USCM
A11/TQ2.0.22146E1
U.S.S. Chimera
Recon Rifleman, Comtech electronics secondary
3rd FTL, Call Sign Devil Dawgs.

Armor and webbing
M41A Pulse Rifle + 7 mags
M40 Grenades x 10
Hand Welder
Service Pistol + 2 Mags
Mk. 1 Combat Knife
Rations/Water
Com-Tech Bypass Device

eyeball
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by eyeball » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:02 am

Paulson did not relish the idea of swinging below a sub, he would do it if ordered too but it did not sit comfortably with him so he said nothing and waited to see what the crew assignments would be. hopefully he would be assigned internal seat with a weapon waiting patiently for an airlock to be found, but if not he would swing on a fishing line and do his best not too fuck it up.

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:17 am

Samantha had felt like she had suddenly been sucked up into a whirlwind and tossed about as soon as she lost two of her squad mates to a freak accident......all she could do was close her eyes and hope fervently that Dmitri and Tanya would be okay....

Hearing and seeing Grisham volunteer to step forward, she stepped forward first and politely said to the Marine, "In my squad Grisham, you don't be volunteering for anyting without running it past me first mon", she told him with her Carribbean-esque accent coming thru. With that, she volunteered to get in the suit and to be hooked onto the line first and if THAT went well, THEN Grisham could join her. She wasn't going to have one of her people take a risk before she did, if she cold help it....

<Tag Grisham>
<Tag Everyone>
ImageSGT Samantha "Sam" Hall

M41A Pulse Rifle

wargamer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by wargamer » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:07 am

Darren headed through the tight confines of the sub towards the bow of the sub with the rest of 3rd squad. The corridors were tight and they had to squeeze to the side to allow navy personnel to pass in the opposite direction. As they reached the hatchway to the Docking bay, a female navy rating, of a height with Kelly, with a bleach-blonde pony-tail poking out from under her USS Nehalennia Ball Cap pushed past them and Darren froze as he distinctly felt her hand squeeze his butt. He glanced back and caught the ratings eye and she winked as she disappeared around the corner.
Maybe the journey back would be as eventful as the trip out, Darren mused, as he headed over to the HARDSuit lockers.

Darren quickly donned his suit and ran through the safety checks. During HARDSuit certification the instructors drilled a simple mnemonic into the candidates: S.A.F.E. Seals - Check the integrity of your suit for leaks and unsecured joints. Air: Check your air supply is full and the gas flow is unimpeded. Fittings: make sure everything attached to the outside of the suit is properly secured with no straps, ties or equipment hanging loose. Electronics: check your internal systems (Illumination, sensors, diagnostics, communications etc) are working properly.

With his diagnostics complete, Darren moved over to where LCpl. Henniger was donning his own suit. "Hey boss, I'd like to volunteer to be the man underneath. I reckon I'm a little more familiar with these rigs than you guys so I'm best suited to be the pointman in this op."

<Tag Henniger>
ImagePFC Darren 'Doc' Kelly - Medic
Serial Number: D44/TQ9.21.47645E2
Current Equipment
M-41A Pulse Rifle w/ 4 Mags
M4A3 Pistol w/ 2 Mags
K-52 Field Medical Pack
2x M-18 Smoke Grenades (Red)
6x M-94 Flares
2x K-Bar Combat/Survival Knives

LT_Chun
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by LT_Chun » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:55 pm

Henniger had nodded to his Marine.

"We'll all go." He placed a hand on his shoulder guard and gave a reassuring thump.

<tag Kelly>
A11/TQ2.0.22146E1
U.S.S. Chimera

Armor and webbing
M40 Grenades x 10
Hand Welder
Service Pistol + 2 Mags
Mk. 1 Combat Knife
Rations/Water
Com-Tech Bypass Device

Medic Guy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Medic Guy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:43 am

Clint listened in to the briefing and it seemed as though there were still a few spots left for the towed marine. Raising his hand, Clint offered "I'll take a spot on the tow rope, unless I'm needed elsewhere." Clint eyed Morse to see if the squad leader objected to him volunteering for the job.

<tag Morse

Figuring that outside he might be tempting for some kind of creature of the depths of this world, but it didn't remember hearing anything about it when he had rented his scuba diving equipment on leave. "There any giant squids, loch ness monsters, or other baddies down here that are going to take a bite out of us?" he asked as he began to don the protective pressure suit.
ImageCorporal Clint McKenna
Serial Number: L69/EA5.2.31782M9

Image Image Image

Pvt. Isabel Orozco - Rifleman; formerly of the U.S.S. Shiloh Marine Detachment, currently on public relations campaign.
Private Dave Halbert - unknown location

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:58 am

The notation of half the platoon being dangled from a sub and the other half being inside the sub was a strange point. Morse thought of it as basically being like a zero grav training exercise, which were common in training. Very seldom were they put together in practice in real life. Morse sized up the Marines as they all "reluctantly" were preparing to be strapped to the outside of the submarines. Marines were marines though. They seldom passed up the opportunity for a good story, and for them to free swing in under the see and throw up all over themselves was a perfect moment for it.

"Just like grav trainin'." Morse noted to Mckenna. "You know the kind when your on a movin' ship. Just keep your eyes on yer' chin n' you'll be fine." Morse said with a big grin.

Morse looked over everyone that was getting strapped up. "You're all doin' your country, world, and the corps proud." Morse said, but he could obviously hardly contain his joy at the idea of sitting while the rest of them free swung behind a mini sub. Morse might even take a nap.

He looked at first squad. "Unless there'r other volunteers... I recommend sittin' this one out." Morse concluded with a smile.

<Tag Anyone
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image

LT_Chun
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by LT_Chun » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:39 pm

Henniger helped the squids get his squad rigged up then accepted help with his own preparations. He checked his suit's com by calling the platoon leadership.

"Five, Six, this is Three, we're rigged and ready."

<Tag Sykes/LT)
A11/TQ2.0.22146E1
U.S.S. Chimera

Armor and webbing
M40 Grenades x 10
Hand Welder
Service Pistol + 2 Mags
Mk. 1 Combat Knife
Rations/Water
Com-Tech Bypass Device

lordstrand
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lordstrand » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:06 pm

Davros sighed as he put on the uderwater rig. "Well I mean if no one else is going to volunteer to dangle I suppose I can be a little worm on a big hook." He laughed to himself at the completely incorrect statement. "Are there any ordnances that work underwater LT? Would hate to see something swimming at one of us and all we can throw back is foul language and a rude gesture. Anything living down here that we need to be aware of? He talked in that rapid pace that usually meant his brain was outracing his mouth. "I'll go wherever you need me chief, though not sure how good I am about patching holes in suits with duct tape." He didn't relish the idea of dangling on one of those strings under the submersibles. He didn't like underwater, especially in depths where you couldn't see anything. It just didn't look right too much expansiveness, too much empty space for something you can't see to sneak up on you real fast. It was different in space, not that he walked around much in it. At least in space you could see the stars, see ships coming, see that little dot fast approaching that could be a person, and he could always shoot back. Water trapped out light bent it in a funny way. Creatures here were designed over lifetimes to blend in, to ambush whatever they wanted to eat, to be efficient as possible because waste means death. It just made everything feel empty even you. "So where do we buckle these things on at, don't like the idea of springing a leak. What happens if we need to take a leak? I mean you know accidents happen when your being drug around at high speeds through a deep dark void with nothing but foul language to keep you warm." Trying to crawl back into his humorous safe space he grumbled "this should be fun." He shook his head.
Image LCpl. Strand Davros - Medic
Serial Number: S35/TQ9.4.48100E2

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:34 pm

“I’m as suited to hangin’ beneath as anyone I’ll warrant. ‘Tis no be’er than I deserve.
"3rd Squad volunteers to dangle Lieutenant."
"Hey boss, I'd like to volunteer to be the man underneath. I reckon I'm a little more familiar with these rigs than you guys so I'm best suited to be the pointman in this op."
"I'll take a spot on the tow rope, unless I'm needed elsewhere."
"Well I mean if no one else is going to volunteer to dangle I suppose I can be a little worm on a big hook."
Sykes lip curled in a half smile as he heard exactly what he’d expected from his team. Nearly everyone had volunteered, and he would have to choose which volunteers to deny rather then choose who to voluntell. Fortunately, Morse had told his squad to take the safe jobs, otherwise the whole unit might have volunteered. “Carlson and Williams, I’m sorry but there’s not enough hooks for you.”
<Tag Templar and Digger>
"There any giant squids, loch ness monsters, or other baddies down here that are going to take a bite out of us?" he asked as he began to don the protective pressure suit.
"So where do we buckle these things on at, don't like the idea of springing a leak. What happens if we need to take a leak? I mean you know accidents happen when your being drug around at high speeds through a deep dark void with nothing but foul language to keep you warm."
“It’s like a zero-G suit, there’s waste storage built into the suit. If you have to go number two, well I’d suggest you go do it now. As for springing a leak in the suit, that shouldn’t happen. If it does, you won’t know it because you’ll be dead.” The pressure of fifty atmospheres was enough to crush a human like a soda can. Sykes didn't want to scare the Marines but he wasn't about to lie to them.
<Tag lordstrand>

One of the submarine’s crew chimed in. “We don’t expect to see any loch ness monsters or anything like that. The sea life on this planet was introduced from Earth-native species, and I don’t think they brought many deep-sea dwellers. It’s almost impossible to transport them to the surface, let alone off planet.”
<Tag McKenna>
ImageSgtMaj. Danny Sykes - Platoon NCO
Serial Number: D26/TQ6.3.48412E9

Return to “Quantum Herald Campaign”