Turn 1

Pale Rider
Major

Turn 1

Post by Pale Rider » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:29 am

Date: September 22, 2189
Operation: Operation Tartarus
Mission Time: 0600

The Computers clicked on as the USS Costaguana dropped back into real time, the Sub-light engines took over as the FTL engines turned off. Soon the sounds of dripping water can be heard throughout the hallways of the majestic vessel as the ice of deep space begins to melt. The deck heaters kick on warming the floor up from sub-zero temperatures, air scrubbers kick on ridding the cabins of their damp musky smell from Sixty-Six days of sitting unoccupied. The large mess hall is one of the first systems to be returned to working order, the smell of coffee or at least the military's version of coffee begins to flood the air. The ship creeks and groans like an elderly woman as she awakens from deep sleep.

Several hours later Lieutenant Maria Gruber is awakened from cryosleep. Going through her morning routine she quickly showers after hitting the exercise room.
She passes the bridge enroute to the meeting room designated for the Eights. Stepping inside she receives her updates from the navigator. When she reaches the room she sees that the Gunny has already beat her in and a steaming cup of java is waiting at her chair. He quickly moves to stand at attention but Maria waves him down. "Its just us Yakov. No need for formalities."
"Yes ma'am!" He settled back down into his seat. "What's the latest ma'am?"
"Seems, that the recon drone that flew over the community while we were in transit doesn't show any signs of a Harvester Infestation. Brass wants us to go in slow and make sure there is not any Separatists involved. The community is in its fourth month of the 20 year dark. They should have reported in by now if it was simply a mechanical issue." She paused as she thought back to the last mission the Eights had undergone under her leadership. "Yakov, I want all of the men ready for any contigency. Have Pope give them boosts to their meds and vitamins. If this is another Bio Issue I do not want to loose any more good men and women. They should be waking up now. Run them through some PT, get them showered and dressed on the deck beside our assigned drop ship by 0800 hrs."
Yakov stood to his feet snapped off a salute and exited the meeting hall.

<Tag All Marines of the Easy Eights>
GM

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Corporal Hicks
Major

Re: Turn 1

Post by Corporal Hicks » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:59 am

Eric Roberts could feel himself going mad. His body twisted and changed hideously, a feeling which was both indescribable and horrifying. He saw the marine in front of him turn around, and he gradually became aware that it was his squadleader, Corporal Hall. He knocked her down with a swipe of his massive arm and ripped her to shreds. Her screams horrified him but he couldn’t stop. Next he saw Salazar Boothe, and the process repeated. Looking up from the carnage, he saw the barrel of Morse’s smartgun pointing at his face. With a burst of fire he awoke.
Eric panted and gasped for air in the freezing cryotube. It was open, and some of the others were waking up. He leaned over the side and vomited whatever he had eaten two months prior. Falling back to his original position, he lay with his eyes closed, breathing heavily. Cryosleep had never really been restful, but now it was almost unbearable.
Eventually Eric struggled to his feet and shook his head to wake up his senses. He made his way to his locker and started to pull on his uniform, still bleary-eyed.
ImageSgtMaj. Danny Sykes - Platoon NCO
USCM Special Forces Recon Team
Serial Number: D26/TQ6.3.48412E9

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:49 am

The buzzing and the whirring was audible to Morse. A light sleeper even when spinning with chemicals, he was aware of what was happening, even if he was unable to move yet. Moment by moment he became more in control of his body. He flared his nostrils, he clenched his toes, he worked his thumbs, and finally he opened his eyes.

Surprisingly he did not have a head ache. He had tried a new method before jumping into the hypersleep tube. Rather the getting to his usual inebriated level, he had held off. In part he did it so he could save more of his brew for when they arrived, but he also wondered if not having alcohol tooling in his system for two months might make the wake up process easier.

And sure enough he was correct, there was no real pain, or aching, just a sort of serenity.

He began to lean forward with a satisfied smile, until his plan went awry due to an unforeseen circumstance, a large collection of spittle that had collected in his cheek.

Upon taking his first real breath it immediately went down the wrong hole in his throat and induced a severe coughing fit.

Morse doubled over, hacking and wheezing, gasping for breath for nearly a minute do to the amazing misery that he was in. He slowly got control of himself, and immediately his disposition shifted back to his usual hatred of general space travel.

”Ugh, fuck.” Morse said swinging his legs out of the tube. ”They should just let me walk it next time.” His bitter haze was taking over as he gradually remembered why they were there.

He was thirty years old now, but his brain was having trouble coping after all the time in hypersleep. To help he was already planning to find his way to his hidden stashes to help get a sip of something that would put him back in the right state of mind.

< Tag Anyone.
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:49 pm

The dreams. That was what Dirk always hated the most about the deep sleep of transport. The men and women he had lost over his years were carved into his arm, but ther were cut into his mind even deeper. Both leaving their scars. One moment he would be on his boat off shore of Hawaii, the next in an unwinnable fight against a whole host of enemies.

His eyes fluttered for a moment and then opened. Blinking against the bright lights of the hyper-sleep bay he sat up slowly. It seemed that the years might be catching up with him, even with the time he spent not aging as he was frozen. Climbing out of his pod he stretched and then coughed loudly.

Reaching back into his pod Dirk pulled out the only things he ever put in when he slept, his cigarettes and an old zippo. Lighting a cigarette he listened to Morse complain about the freezers. Now the day could start.

"I'm with you on that brother. I hate this frozen shit" Dirk said as he walked to the showers.
<Tag Morse>
Cpl Dirk Pitt
First squad leader

Gear
Pulse Rifle w/ 4 grenades, 8 canister shells
M1911 Colt .45 caliber Sidearm
Smoke Grenade x2
KBAR Combat Knife
Portable Welder
Ithaca Shotgun

Non Combat Equipment
Zippo lighter
Cigarettes

Medic Guy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Medic Guy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:54 pm

Clint McKenna feels a warm breeze blowing against his skin; the scent of Carolina pine trees taken in by his nostrils. He raises the axe back to his right shoulder, eyeing the cut and the sway of branches high above him. The tree in front of him groaning and creaking with the damage already carved into it. He tightens his grip on the axe and swings deep into the tree. He draws the blade back and takes several steps backwards as the wood near the chop cracks loudly and starts splitting. The tree topples over crashing against the branches of other nearby trees and falls to the ground with a loud thump. Clint can feel the vibration through his boots and up into his legs.

Then he sees something on the far side of the fresh stump. What he sees is large, with fur covering its body. Around the neck of the massive creature he observes a set of dog tags. The sky darkens rapidly as the creature tears the stump out of the ground with one paw. Clint brings the axe down into a meaty shoulder of the monstrosity. The opposite arm reaches out and delivers a blow sending Clint flying into the trunk of a large oak tree. The breathe knocked loose from his body, he tries to move as the creature advances back toward him. A large furry arm reaches up into the air and begins to arc back down towards his face…

The cryopods door opens as Clint brings his arm up to attempt to thwart the blow that would crush his skull, his elbows striking the lifting glass. He tips over falling to the cold steel floor, sweat dripping from his forehead and chest. He remembers that he’s not out on that forsaken base on Pluto anymore. The others, his entire squad, are gone. They had been put down by the rest of the platoon after the infection had spread and they had…changed.

He picks himself up off the floor and gets his BDU pants and a shirt pulled on as he walks towards the armory. I can’t be around other people too soon after the dreams he thinks to himself. Best I just go to the armory and ready equipment, after I burn off some energy, I’ll come back and mingle with the others. His skin is still quite warm despite the chill and moisture still in the air. I was hoping that I wouldn’t have the dreams in cryo sleep he thinks to himself with a shiver running down his spine. This time will be different.

Private Clint McKenna
Sniper, Armorer
Eighth Platoon

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Unlike the others, Samantha Hall always found cryosleep quite relaxing. Her dreams were of long ago days on the Colony World of New Kingston where she had grown up. Running along the beaches of the islands that made up the only land mass on the pleasant world and swimming in its warm, blue-green oceans. Having the sleep pod open up and cycle her awake was almost a bit of a disappointment. The cold of the bay and the ship CERTAINLY was no fun to the Corporal, though it DID succeed in waking her up quickly....

Wrinkling her nose as Dirk's cigarette smoke wafted over to her, Sam frowned as she looked over at the veteran NCO and only half-jokingly said; "You know Sarge; if you'd just give that disgusting habit up you'd be just about the PERFECT man.....but Nooooooo"; she smiled at him, but made sure to move quickly to the showers to get away from the smell of the smoke.

After getting cleaned up and dressed in her utilities, she took a quick look at the roster and saw that Roberts and Giosso were still assigned to her, as was a new name; a Scarlet Burnside. Samantha figured she'd get to know her newest squad mate soon and first she went to greet her old squadmates real quick. She gave Giosso an affection hair-ruffle and giving Eric a pat on the back while asking him if he was okay and letting him know that she absolutely trusted him to have their back and that she would always have his.

That done, she made her way over to Scarlet and gave her a warm smile as she greeted her with her Carribbean-esque accented voice. "Hello there! My name's Samantha Hall and I'm your squad-leader; but please feel free to call me Sam. Welcome to 1st Squad!"

<Tag Dirk>
<Tag 1st Squad>
ImageSGT Samantha "Sam" Hall

M41A Pulse Rifle

Ana
Private

Post by Ana » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:10 pm

Scarlet Burnside dreamt of a herd of horses galloping through a vast green field. The horses then trotted down a steep hill onto a long, wide beach. The waves gently cresting and rising along the beach as the sunset revealed a brilliant rainbow of colors across the scene. She was riding atop of a large chestnut/sorrel bred stallion, its mane and her hair whipping in the wind. She could smell the ocean’s salty scent and thunder of the hooves of the large herd stamping along the shore carried to her ears. Her brilliant auburn red hair matching up well with the coat of the stallion she was riding bareback. The sun hit the horizon and the light glared brightly for a moment. The wind picked up suddenly and she felt cold air striking her face and arms as the lid for the cryosleep pod opened up.

She blinked her eyelids a few times, trying to hide hazel eyes, as they adjusted to the fluorescent lighting. She shivered slightly with the chilled air raising goosebumps across her skin. She stretched her muscles, still resting against the back of the pod. She noticed several of the guys getting up and caught a whiff of smoke. One guy was coughing up a storm, another had fallen to the floor and gotten up walking away, a third seemed to have vomited up everything in his stomach. These fellas don’t handle cryosleep very well; they wake up half dying, while I was riding a big stallion in my birthday suit. She almost regretted getting up and out of the chamber, but duty calls and all.

As she got out of the pod and walked over towards another female. She was about a half foot taller than Scarlet and had lovely chocolate brown skin.
maxvale76 wrote:That done, she made her way over to Scarlet and gave her a warm smile as she greeted her with her Carribbean-esque accented voice. "Hello there! My name's Samantha Hall and I'm your squad-leader; but please feel free to call me Sam. Welcome to 1st Squad!"
"Nice to meet you Sam, I’m Scarlet," she said as she ran one hand through her curly red hair. "I really like your accent, we didn’t have much like it on Mars, where are you from?"

<Tag Sam>
<Tag rest of the Eights>

Pale Rider
Major

Post by Pale Rider » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:26 pm

Sergeant Jacobson walked into the Eights Cryonics Room. He stopped just within the entrance and watched his Section as they came out of their hypersleep. Each seemed to handle it differently but, he knew they were all skilled and highly trained professionals.
He stepped into the soft but glaring light his long tall shadow slicing the room in half.
"Good Morning Sweet Hearts, time to rise and shine! The powers that be have misplaced some colonists and it is up to us to go find them," his accent did little to reveal his Ukrainian-Jewish Ancestry, but definitely placed his upbringing as upper state New York
"You've got 10 minutes to fall out for PT, see you in the Gym!" He turned an exited the barracks.
GM

Image Image Image

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:54 pm

maxvale76 wrote:
Wrinkling her nose as Dirk's cigarette smoke wafted over to her, Sam frowned as she looked over at the veteran NCO and only half-jokingly said; "You know Sarge; if you'd just give that disgusting habit up you'd be just about the PERFECT man.....but Nooooooo"; she smiled at him, but made sure to move quickly to the showers to get away from the smell of the smoke.

<Tag Dirk>
<Tag 1st Squad>
Dirk smiled at Sam as she mad a comment about his cigarette. He was use to getting them and wasn't entirely sure why he still smoked. Maybe it was just a habit, maybe an affirmation of life like the shrinks had said to him once or maybe it was he just did it because no one else really did anymore. He didn't know, or really care. But he did like the interaction with his fellow Marines.

"Damn Sam. And I was going to ask you to marry me and move onto my boat. Guess I'll just have to smoke to get over you." He said, smiling happily.
<Tag Sam>

Hearing the new Seargent issue the pt orders Dirk crushed out the cigarette. Showering quickly he got into his PT geat and started stretching his muscles.
Cpl Dirk Pitt
First squad leader

Gear
Pulse Rifle w/ 4 grenades, 8 canister shells
M1911 Colt .45 caliber Sidearm
Smoke Grenade x2
KBAR Combat Knife
Portable Welder
Ithaca Shotgun

Non Combat Equipment
Zippo lighter
Cigarettes

Whisky
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Whisky » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:53 am

If there was one saving grace of cryosleep for Colson was he didn't dream, at least he never remembered it on waking. He woke slowly, listening to the sounds around him, inwardly smiling at the banter between marines. It was at that point their new Sargent ruined the moment.

Colson got up and moved to a series of satisfying pops and cracks. He kept his mouthshut, he didn't wear his false teeth during cryo, he hated the way he lisped since the steering wheel of the buggy knocked them out, still, given the alternative at the time a few teeth were a small price to pay.

Falling into line with the other marines he nodded in greeting his brothers and sisters.

<Tag Easy Eights
Pvt. Thomas Colson
2nd Squad - Medic

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:41 pm

The moderate recovery from the coughing fit did not leave much time for recreational activities. Morse just got a sip of water from the shower whilst he rinsed off the miserable sweat from the weeks of stasis. Now back to mobile he was in the midst of preparing himself. The friendly smell of a cigarette wafted through the room, which was a welcome point. The general smell of smoke and whiskey were almost the precursor to allowing anyone to know that the Dead Shots were coming. That and the whistling sound that came from Colson's tooth holes.

After assembling himself in his typical outfit that excluded his combat M2 Flak vest, which he would be dawning very soon, he got himself into position on the line with the others in preparation for their usual wake up rituals of proving that they could still run in corridors and do push ups. A pointless gesture at this point when one had been a marine as long as most of them had, he did not question it as it had become as routine as breathing.

"Anyone else hopin' we're lucky n' it's just a meteor hit with no survivors, so we can go home?" Morse mused to the group as he stood on the line for preparation. Though he enjoyed the rush of combat and the use of an M56 Smartgun for its intended purpose, he was often reluctant to motion at the start.

< Tag Anyone
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:37 am

Eric was gagging at the taste of vomit in his mouth. He had ten minutes to get set for PT. A shower seemed useless before working so he decided to skip it for now. He did go to the sink and swish water around his mouth then brush his teeth.

He had noticed that they had transfered out Sal Boothe, the goofy medic. First Squad hadn't changed in nearly two years, the last time when he had replaced the dead smart-gunner. A match made in heaven. Eric wondered what really had happened to Boothe. Was it combat stress reaction? He would probably never know, all they got was the word transfered. Needless to say, Roberts wasn't thrilled with the new rifleman, pretty or not. Regardless, he took the time to greet her with a nod. "Eric Roberts, smart-gunner. Welcome to the Eights."
<Tag Burnside>
ImageSgtMaj. Danny Sykes - Platoon NCO
Serial Number: D26/TQ6.3.48412E9

Pale Rider
Major

Post by Pale Rider » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:26 am

Katy Anna awoke to fluorescent lighting blinking and the door of the cryopod opening up as a chilly breeze flushed in from around the sides of the door. Most of the rest of the marines were waking up to carry on their usual duties. She watched Clint McKenna walk off by himself, he seemed to be having a lot of trouble with his dreams lately. She heard the Sergeant mention being ready for PT in 10 minutes and figured she’d go catch up with McKenna so that he would be ready on time. She slipped on a pair of short PT shorts, socks, and shoes and hurried to catch up with McKenna. She reached back and pulled her hair into a ponytail and slipped a scrunchie over the top of it.

Catching up to Clint at the armory, she quickly broke down her rifle to check and see if any lubricant or cleaner on any of the more friction prone pieces. “Sergeant wants everybody ready for PT in about five minutes,” she spoke as she added lubricant to the rails. They sat in silence for a few minutes before placing the weapons back up before starting back towards the others. She walked by his side quietly occasionally glancing up at him with her green eyes, her blonde ponytail swaying as she walked.

<Tag Clint>

Private Katherine Anne Bradford (Katy Anna)
GM

Image Image Image

Medic Guy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Medic Guy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:22 pm

Pale Rider wrote:Catching up to Clint at the armory, she quickly broke down her rifle to check and see if any lubricant or cleaner on any of the more friction prone pieces. “Sergeant wants everybody ready for PT in about five minutes,” she spoke as she added lubricant to the rails. They sat in silence for a few minutes before placing the weapons back up before starting back towards the others. She walked by his side quietly occasionally glancing up at him with her green eyes, her blonde ponytail swaying as she walked.

<Tag Clint>

Clint looked up seeing Katy Anna, the new APC driver, and smiled inwardly to himself while still trying to shake off the dream. She walked in without saying anything, just grabbing her rifle. She's a pretty good shot he recalled from some of the training they'd been doing since the Pluto mission. "We should have time, I detail stripped everything before we left from home," Clint replied. After they put the weapons back on the shelf, they started walking. Occasionally he noticed her glancing up at him and their eyes would meet briefly before she would avert them. From the extra foot of height he had over Katy Anna he was catching a good glimpse of her altered shirt. She didn't seem to mind at all, and in all likelihood, it was what she was planning on.

<Tag Katy Anna>

Private Clint McKenna
Sniper/Armorer
Eighth Platoon
ImageCorporal Clint McKenna
Serial Number: L69/EA5.2.31782M9

Image Image Image

Pvt. Isabel Orozco - Rifleman; formerly of the U.S.S. Shiloh Marine Detachment, currently on public relations campaign.
Private Dave Halbert - unknown location

Katy
Private

Post by Katy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:43 pm

Katy Anna could sense Clint's eyes wandering to her non-regulation top and felt a warm flush flowing through her. There wasn't time for it now, but maybe she would delve into that a little more at some point in the future. The two of them walked into the room with the rest of the platoon as they were preparing for PT with the sergeant. She worked the hair in her ponytail into a single braid quickly to help shorten the length and allow the back of her neck to cool a bit during the upcoming calisthenics.

"Found our lost sheep ya'll," she announced to the rest of the room in her Georgian accent while poking Clint in the ribs with a smile. "What's on the workout routine today sergeant?"

<Tag Eights>
<Tag Sgt>

Return to “Monsoon Campaign”