M2T2

The 9th campaign
Darkblade Bug
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Master Gunnery Sergeant

Re: M2T2

Post by Darkblade Bug » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:39 pm

“You ain’t funny, and sure as hell ain’t one of us.”
Whilst Sam Dunn took issue with the first part of the comment – he didn’t expect Morse to get his sense of humour, but he knew from feedback from a lot of people over the years that it was sharp, though admittedly after Acid Reign it might have taken a turn for the bitter, he instantly recognized the latter part as true. He understood that he had not for a second bothered to become a part of the team, and that he’d done nothing other than alienate the other marines and make them hate him. Of course they did, he’d called them cowards to their faces, threatened one of their veteran members and talked back to their officers. He grasped the idea of what he had done with perfect clarity, and he did not need Morse to spell it out for him.

As for the bit about his rank…well, yea. Admittedly, he wasn’t obeying the military regulations at all. It took him a bit of getting used to, being right at the bottom of the food chain. He remembered the days when the Paras had called him ‘sir’ and he had his rank on the epaulettes on his shoulder, instead of sewn into his sleeves. Considering this, when he replied, he did so with complete civility, avoiding any foul language and referring to the man by his rank, as one should when addressing a man of superior rank. It was the voice he’d used when he had been an officer, and it tended to command attention.

“I bloody well hope not - If it'd turned out I'd gone to all the bother of alienating your platoon and making myself look like a massive tool just to get hugs, I'd be rather pissed off.”
<Tag Morse>

He was about to explain himself when Staff Sergeant Dugan Simovic stormed in and unleashed a sonic weapon the likes of which had not been heard since Brian Blessed had graced the earth with his booming voice. Sam stood there and listened, arms still crossed over his chest as he leaned against the wall. He kept his face mostly neutral, though the NCO’s choice of words did cause his eyebrow to raise a little – this was a trademark expression for Sam Dunn, as he had only one eyebrow to rise, making him look permanently unimpressed.

The truth was that despite appearances, he could clearly see the wisdom in the Dugan’s words. If they had any chance of getting out alive, they had to put their differences aside. Common sense, really. If they hated each other, they wouldn’t make any effort to help each other. Then they’d die, robbing their comrades of much needed numbers and firepower, leading to more deaths. Made perfect sense, except for one thing.

“Yes sir, I understand. I'm fully aware of just how outta line my actions've been, and I'll accept whatever punishment the USCM sees fit to throw my way...posthumously.”
<Tag Dugan>

As far as Sam Dunn was concerned, they could throw as many threats his way as they liked. Every single one depended on one thing - namely, his surviving the mission. He'd read the brief, and even though he knew there was some small chance the Xenomorphs were still in captivity, it didn't stop the vice that was clamped around his heart, or the forboding in his bones. Sam Dunn knew that the threat of a tribunal or charge was an empty one, because unlike them, he knew one thing.

Sam Jack Dunn was going to die on Forge. He fully intended to make every second he had left count, and fight against his demise with every breath, but he knew the best he could do was delay the end that he could already hear calling to him. He didn't doubt he wouldn't be the only one, either, but he intended to minimize friendly casualties as much as he could. Truth was, he wasn't afraid to die anymore...he was looking forward to it. An escape from the black, hissing nightmares that robbed him of his sleep and the terrible loss of his men seemed such an easy thing in comparison to living.

He sighed, long and low, and shook his head. The man seemed to doubt that he'd do his part. He hated to admit it, but that hurt.

"Of course I'm going to do my part, sir. You know that - I wouldn't have signed back up for active duty if I didn't intend on following through. Still, you know as well as I do that I'm never going to make any friends in the Easy Eights. I'm not going to go through losing everything I care about again - I'd rather die alone."
<Tag Dugan>

With that, he walked off towards where Dirk Pitt and the rest of his squad was forming up, sighing to himself as he went. He had no idea what the squad leader had to say, but he had the sinking feeling it wasn't going to be good. Ah well, it was better that way. He reminded himself of that as he wandered over towards his new squad.

"Okay Sergeant, what's the go?" He knew that the man probably had some idea, plan or speech nagging at his mind - Sam had no problems with hearing the man out.
<Tag Dirk>

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:24 am

Quinn stayed out of the fight between Morse and Dunn, concentrating instead on his gear. This time he was assigned a flamer, which would work well in the tight confines of a mine. But ever thinking, the medic pulled a pump-action Ithaca twelve gauge from Supply as his backup weapon, keeping it in a sheath on his back. The flamer he kept as his main weapon, but he was grumbling about it, preferring the solid pulse rifle as his main.

He only barely heard the bitching out given by Dugan to Morse and Dunn, only giving it a single sidelong glance before going back to his preparation. When Dirk called the squad over, Sixtus walked over to listen to what his squad sergeant had to say.

"Aye sarge?"

<tag Dirk>

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:19 pm

Dirk watched as his squad formed loosely up. He knew what had been going on with Dunn and Morse. He didn't like it, but that was another matter. For now they had to become a squad and fast. If not, they would all be dead. Finishing his cigarette he crushed out the heel of his boot and slid it into his pocket. It was a habit he had from when he had joined the Corps. Lighting another cigarette with his battered zippo he turned to the men.

"I'll make this short. The way I lead if from the front. I always volunteer for my squad to take point. I don't do this because I'm trying to be some kind of half assed hero, I do it because if something happens I want to get into it first. That's just the way I am. We'll be going in a tactical diamond formation when the way is wide enough. That way we'll be able to quickly deliver fire to any direction. When it's tight we'll fall into a staggered line. Either myself or Dunn will be at point. " He said to the men.

Then turning to Quin. "Quin, just stay ready. That oversized zippo of yours can fill an entire mineshaft. I know I don't have to tell you this but you're main responsibility is to keep us alive, so keep your damn head down. I don't want any of these other guys trying to patch me up if I get wounded"

<Tag Quin>

He wasn't sure what to say to Dunn. The man was a professional, but he was on the edge and Dirk wasn't sure what way he was going to fall when the time came."Look Dunn, I know from your file and I can see by your injuries that you had some tough duty, lost friends. We all have. I lost almost the entire platoon I was transferred to when I left the eights. I'll carry their faces with me for the rest of my life. But I need to know that I can trust you with my life, my squads life. I need you to know that I won't have anymore threats, any more insubordination. IF you can manage that I'll talk to Morse about not pressing charges. I can't promise anything. I don't hold that much sway over him, but we fought together so I know he'll listen to me. Can you do that? Dirks asked in a calm tone

<Tag Dunn>

Apachetear
Second Lieutenant

Post by Apachetear » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:14 am

Yawning, Jacob took a gulp of sickly sweet coffee before lighting a cigarette.

He'd got up and changed into his uniform and was hoping for a bit of a relax before the mission. Instead he was greeted by 2 marines having a catfight.

Settling down he spectated, his eyes never really leaving Dunn. This was a man to watch out for - he hoped that he never made the mistake of squaring off againt Jacob.

He wasn't sure which way the fight would go and he damn well didnt want to find out!

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:40 am

Quinn nodded as he listened to Dirk, but gave him a slight frown as he lit up his second cigarette. He'd already given everyone the spiel about smoking and how it shortened the time they could serve in the Corps, but apparently nobody listened.

"Should I take rear guard or flanker?" he asked, specifically to his position in the diamond. Flanker exposed him to the front, but being on rear guard wasn't the safest spot either.

<tag Dirk>

Darkblade Bug
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Master Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Darkblade Bug » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:40 pm

Sam watched as Quinn, one of the many guys who’d told him off earlier (and rightly so), fell into place beside him. M240 Incinerator Unit, better known as the Flamethrower. An infamous weapon – partly for the insane punishment it could put out, partly because of the way the flame canisters tended to explode violently when shot. He also noticed the man was packing a shotgun, and gave a nod of approval. Incinerator and shotgun, two weapons that he knew were highly effective against the Xenomorphs. The bloke obviously knew his enemy. Especially given the tight confines of Forge – close-range weapons would reign supreme. He wanted to shake the man’s hand on a smart loadout, but he knew it’d be ignored, so he didn’t bother.

As Dirk Pitt outlined the squad tactics, Sam found himself nodding in yet more approval, his arms crossed over his chest as he leaned his back against the wall. They’d been volunteered for point, but with an Incinerator and a Smartgun, they were better suited for the role than 1st Squad, so that suited him fine. The Sergeant or himself on point – also made sense, lead from the front, and tae advantage of the smartgun’s tracking capabilities. Diamond formation also made sense, for the reasons Dirk had outlined. So far, he had nothing but approval for the man’s tactical decisions – obviously, he’d been promoted because he had talent.

The corner of his lip twisted into a slight smile. It was clear that Dirk wasn’t underestimating their enemy at all – he was deadly serious and intent on getting the unit on the same page as quickly as possible. That was a good sign for their life expectancy. For theirs, anyway. He just hoped his death wouldn’t come at a time to destroy the slim chance for survival that their preparedness had given them. As he heard Dirk outline Quinn’s job, he nodded. Keep the medic alive, good plan…but the wounded would be as good as dead anyway – worse, they’d slow the rest down. Still, it was the ‘leave no man behind’ policy of the USCM that had saved his ass, so he had no complaints or objections to offer.

Then, Dirk turned to face him. Brace for impact.

He was surprised when Dirk started by saying that he got it. He spoke calmly, and Sam saw from his eyes and words that the bloke wasn’t bullshitting. He’d been through it too. Okay, maybe not to the level Sam had, but then again, his situation was pretty unique. No-one else had survived implantation before. Still…watching friends die, losing people you had a responsibility to, and having to deal with it for the rest of your life…Dirk seemed to understand it wasn’t something you just got over. Sam found his good eye starting to mist over.

Then Dirk went on to explain that though he got it, he wasn’t going to let Sam cost him any more troops, or morale damage. That was fair enough, and he put it well. None of this bullshit about being all buddy-buddy, just that he needed to know he could rely on Sam to get the job done, and for that, he needed to calm the hell down and stop stamping on every toe he clapped eyes on. He considered Dirk’s words for a moment, eyes closed, arms crossed over his chest. It wasn’t like the man was asking him to care about any of them, right? Just to get the job done and not get in the way of everyone else doing the same.

Allright. He could do that, at least. He was a marine, after all. Time to act like one.

“…I’ll be honest with you, Sergeant. I really think Forge is going to be my grave. I have a feeling in my bones that I’m not coming back from this one. Dunno when, but my reunion round’s coming for me. I can feel it. Why else would I work so hard to NOT befriend my new unit?”

Dirk deserved to know that. Dunn had little to no hope of surviving this mission: he’d given up on getting out alive. He wasn’t looking for his reunion round – the bullet that would end his life here and reunite him with his dead comrades – but he knew it was coming. That was a dangerous thing on its own, to lose hope entirely. He didn’t mind, though. That was all he wanted – to face his nightmares one more time and bring as many down with him as he could. Maybe even make sure the next bunch of marines they send in his place make it out alive. That’d be nice.

“…But you can count on me to do my job for as long as I have the strength to carry my weapon, Sergeant. No more threats, no more insubordination – hell, I’ll even stop saying ‘we’re all gonna die’. I don’t care about dropped charges, seems like a waste of effort on behalf of a dead man, y’know?

I…I just really hope you guys make it out. All of you. I may have been a complete ass to you, but you’re a good group of soldiers. Kinda remind me of my old unit. I’ll do everything I can to make sure every single one of you lives through this. Even if it means I have to hug a grenade.”

He was shocked to find he meant it, too. In his mind, he was a dead man already. If he could make his death mean something, then he’d do it. No second thoughts. Maybe this was why he’d survived when his mates had died. So he could spare these men from that fate.

In short...

“Private First Class Sam Jack Dunn, Smartgunner Operator and qualified Dropship Pilot, at your command, Sergeant!”

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Post by Dugan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:50 pm

Morse wrote:As Dugan spoke, Morse began dissecting that argument. Morse was without a doubt one to have verbal debates, and once he got involved with one side, he wasn't likely to change it. And he wasn't one to back off for a great deal of time. "All due respect sir, at the second the mission were pitchin' is over, I'm filin' charges for a prison term. Aint no two ways about it." He said in regards to the central portion of the sergeants statement. "But, sir, reason fer disturbment?" Morse said as though he hadn't taken the line statement seriously. "Sir, we done as much, if'n it aint more'n his ass." Morse spat. "We done run across colonies completely deadified cus' them things. We burned alive what had one ripped out, I done stuck my hand right'n the chest a one of'm poor souls. We went lost 1 outa each 4 what even set foot on that colony with us. And since we done gone runnin' through the sewers chasin' em, we been shot at by people studyin' em. We don't need a nut job from some dead rock island't talks funny and only has one eye as are good guns a second squad." Morse said matter of factly. He was serious about the whole thing, they didn't need him. They could have picked up any veteran smartgunner, with all fingers and two eyes, briefed them, and they'd have been a healthier.

< Tag Dugan

"Well until brass tells me different, we've got him. Anyhow the chances of getting anyone else in, especially a smartgunner, at this short notice is zero. So your just going to have to put your differences behind you until after the mission, and thats an order not a request. Now we've got a mission to do so collect your gear and lets go earn our pay".

<Tag Morse>

With that Dugan clapped the Marine on the back and then walked off back towards the hanger bay. As far as he was concerned Morse did have a point but he couldn't allow him to jeopardise the cohesion of the platoon before the do or die mission that awaited them on Forge.

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:47 pm

Obi exited the lift and entered the Marine's messdeck. The comments made by Dunn and Morse still echoing in his mind as they brought of flood of memories to the surface that he tried very hard to keep buried. Obi paced along the messdeck till he found himself in front of his locker. Opening it up he emerged with a well worn duffal bag. Sitting down on the bench that ran along the row of lockers, Obi hunted through the bag till he found what he was looking for. In his hands Obi held a small pocket diary, made of real paper, edges worn with age and use, he turned it over reverently, delicately opening it to the entry he was looking for. He closed his eyes as the memories came rushing back. They make light of Marine's killing Marine's, they no nothing. What does it matter, we are all going to die down there. Those things will see to that. Death. Whether it be a Merc's bullet or Marine or those things, death will be our only escape.

Obi sat there, eyes closed, his face expressionless as the memories emerged. Restrained for so long they were now flooding back. His old unit, the missions run on the Outer Rim Colonies with complete disregard for the Rules of Engagement. Muzzle flash, sound of weapons fire, screaming, broken bodies torn to pieces. Laughing. The smell of death everywhere. Rifle into the shoulder, the recoil, bodies crumble as the rounds hit. Obi opened his eyes slowly, hardly breathing, a name given to him by someone long ago boiled up from someplace dark inside.

Occisor

Obi carefully closed the dairy and placed it back in his bag. Returning it to his locker he stopped as he saw his reflection in the mirror that was hanging on the door. Death is coming. Obi thought as he met his own gaze. Closing the locker door he left, heading towards the Cryo chamber, with renewed vigour in his step.
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:08 am

Dirk gave Quin a half smile as the cigarette hung loosely between his lips. He knew that Quin hated smoking and that he had tried to get the guys to quit. Hell, he knew it was a nasty habit but it was his habit and he loved it.

"I know, I know. You hate the smoking. If we make it out I'll think about switching to cigars." He joked, knowing that Quin would hate that just as much. "As for your position, Take left flank, but stay alert. I might want to shuffle your position around depending on tactics"
<Tag Quin>

He understood Dunn more than he thought. After losing his men he had stayed drunk for almost a month, hiding in some Filipino hell hole that passed for a hotel. He had almost taken discharge when the spec ops guys found him and put him back with the eights.

Dirk listened as Dunn laid it out for him. Dirk's only thought was that this was the man Dunn had been trying to hide behind all the shit that had happened. He wasn't crazy, not by a long shot. Dirk knew that every man had a breaking point, hell he had come close to his and he thought Dunn had been on that ragged edge too. Maybe this op could help bring him back

"You know Dunn, That round is coming for us all. Nothing we can do about that but fight like hell and trust the man next to you to do the same . I know what some of the other guys think of you, and now I know you wanted it that way. Believe it or not I get it. If I were in your position I might do the same. I don't know. What I do know is that I trust what you've told me, and I'm glad to have you in my squad. You'll be taking point. Dirk said honestly. It was strange for him to have anyone else walk point. Dirk had always don it, but he wanted Dunn to know he trusted him. Then thinking about his fatalistic attitude he went on a bit more light hearted. "You're going to make it out of this Dunn. Tats an order, and you know that Marines aren't allowed to die without permission." He said, telling the old joke.
<Tag Dunn>

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:03 am

"And I'm one of the few medics with experience with xeno acid, so you're in luck." Quinn added with a serious undertone. "And whether you or Morse like it or not, you're both Marines, and I can bring you both back from the dead if the mood strikes me."

<tag Dunn, Morse>

"And so long as the cigars are pure, without any 'additives', you'll be better off than that shit they call cigarettes." he told Dirk. "It's still a carcinogen, which isn't good for your lungs, but it's better than rat poison and nicotine."

<tag Dirk>

As far as the tactics went, he was in a sticky situation. He was the only one in the squad with an M240 Incinerator which meant he would have to get "stuck in" on occasion and get very close to any potential threats. On the other hand, he was the most highly experienced medic in the platoon, which meant that he had to do what he could to stay out of the line of fire. Top it off with a sergeant who would have this squad going in first, which made the entire proposal...

interesting.

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:43 am

Making his way along the passageway, Obi was deep in thought, barely noticing SSGT Simovic coming towards him. He noticed the extra set of footfalls on the deck plates and looked up as the SSGT was almost level with him. The SSGT stopped and canted his head, as Obi stared at the Marine with a vacant expression. Obi stood like this for a long five second count, before giving himself a mental shake. Smiling quickly, Obi spoke.

"Staff, all the comms gear has been prepped and system operability radio checks conducted. We have good plain and cypher communication with all necessary assests."

<tag SSGT Simovic>
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Post by Dugan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:09 pm

Simovic was checking over a list of provisions on his datasheet when Obi came over.
Obi wrote:
"Staff, all the comms gear has been prepped and system operability radio checks conducted. We have good plain and cypher communication with all necessary assests."

<tag SSGT Simovic>

"Good work Corporal, I'm gonna need you to bring along an Orbital Communicator on this op, as once we're in that mine that'll be about the only that'll have a chance of keeping us in contact with the dropship, though to be honest even that's doubtful. Hmm we best bring along a Pulse Communicator as well".

<Tag Obi>

(O.O.C An Orbital Communicator is basically a field radio with a 100 mile range that's used for contacting ships in orbit. A pulse communicator is a small device which allows you to send a message as a single pulse, it doesn't allow two way communication but it allows the user to relay important information and then receive periodic orders. It'll be up to Max which if any of these work underground. Don't worry about the weight of these as your'll drop them before entering combat).

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:12 pm

Tag Obi>

(O.O.C An Orbital Communicator is basically a field radio with a 100 mile range that's used for contacting ships in orbit. A pulse communicator is a small device which allows you to send a message as a single pulse, it doesn't allow two way communication but it allows the user to relay important information and then receive periodic orders. It'll be up to Max which if any of these work underground. Don't worry about the weight of these as your'll drop them before entering combat).

(OOC - Cheers Dugan, I factored in the orbital comm and the pulse comm, but for brevity I will just post in the lastest turn. Cheers Obi. ).

Return to “USCM 2.1 - Invictus Campaign”