M1T6 - Touchdown

The 8th campaign
Nick
Administrator
Administrator

M1T6 - Touchdown

Post by Nick » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:10 pm

2179 AD, 1st November

The bottom was silky white in the strong light of the submarine - The marines could just barely see it below if they stretched a bit in their suits.

"Prepare for release...engage your backpack thrusters or you're going to sink into the silt to your waists" Lt Moore cautioned.

The suits were release with a soft metallic sound, immidiately the marines felt a sensation of drift as their suits started to slowly sink towards the bottom. The thrusters were engaged and the marines controlled them using their left hand manipulating a small joystick just next to the joystick that controlled the claw. The thrusters gave a small whining sound as they spun in the water - The suits were extremely easy to control, partly because of the thrusters being computer aided, partly because of excellent engineering - These suits were technological wonders.

The Marines swooped down towards the bottom. Sgt Simovic being the first who tried the solidity of the silty bottom - The bottom was firm and he only sunk down a few inches - Despite the suit being quite heavy. When he landed on the bottom he took a step, and then another - again he was impressed on how smooth the suit operated.

The marines looked around them - The darkness was like a wall all around them, their shoulder mounted lights penetrated perhaps thirty or so meters before the darkness swallowed the beam. Each breath made a hissing noise from the rebreather, but no revealing bubbles exited the suits - The system was fully closed.

The last marine settles on the ground and the submarine suddenly shut off their lights - Disappearing completely from view despite them being so close. Small white particles floated in the beams, looking almost like dust in a sunray.

Each marines last name was imprinted on the back of the backpack and on the left side of the suit, just below the edge of the plexi bubble - as it could be hard to see the face of the person inside the suit.

"Ok Marines - The station is one hundred meters to the north of your position. Once within fifty meters I want You to go lights off, you should see the beacon from the base from thirty or so meters. I don't want anyone to know we are here just yet." Lt Moore said.

<<actions>>

Ranger2011
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: M1T6 - Touchdown

Post by Ranger2011 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:49 pm

Johnson's breathing increased just before touching ground, then it leveled out again once he realized it was solid. The suit moved magically once on the ground, alot easier than he expected. "Shit, a hundred meters walking around in this? This is getting worse all the time. Complete darkness, we won't even know if something's right on top of us." He whispered into the comm so quiet it almost didn't pick up at all. Looking down at the Pulse Rifle attached to his suit he breathed somewhat easier.

eyeball
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by eyeball » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:49 am

as darkness descended on them patch realised that the motion tracker embedded in his suits left forarm was set way to bright and turned it right down.

"scanner shows us and thats it, friendly id's showing loud and clear" patch reported over the suits intercom channel.

"this is command squad to Lt, comms check, over"

after recieving the apropriate responce, patch switch back to intercom, "radio contact with Lt confirmed and secure sarge!"

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Post by pants » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:53 am

Hitting the sea floor left Gordon with a bit of a funny feeling inside his stomach. This was it, his first actual combat op. He was glad his suit had a human waste collector, or at least he hoped it did otherwise there was going to be one heck of a mess to clean up when he got out of the suit.

"How do you want us deployed Sarge?" Gordon asked over the comm while he strained his eyes trying to spot any movement that wasn't a marine.

<Tag Platoon>

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:10 am

Sam took in the sights all around her with a continued sense of both wonder and apprehension. She stayed alert and checked all around her squad's position and above them for any signs of anything unusual.

Flanking SGT Pitt on his right, she called out on the comm; "Hall here Sarge, no signs of any of the bugs....but I can't see very far, so I'd suggest staying real frosty..."

<Tag Dirk>

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:29 am

Slowing descending to the sea bed, Obi was surpised at how fluid the suit moved through the water. Treading lightly as he could, to minimize the amount of sand and silt kicked up.

Rallying with the rest of Two Section, Obi took up his position at the rear of the section. Turning around, Obi gazed into the darkness. These suit lights don't do much at all at this depth.

"Alright Two Section, lets take it nice and slow, make sure you maintain a visual on the next man, don't want any one getting lost down here."

<tag Two Section>

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:01 pm

Dirk's feet his the ocean floor softly. Looking around for a moment he could only see the inky blackness of the deep sea. Checking over his suit's systems again he was reassured that all was well.

"Ok third, fall in and move out. Lets get ready for action, but check your targets, understood?"
<Tag third squad>

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:09 am

"Hey Sarge, looks like we're on point. I'll take the second fireteam and move up. Seth, Gaz, you're with me. Seth, I want that motion tracker up and running. Gaz, you're on point. Two meter dispersal, no more. Let's go." Quinn muttered into his comms. "I want a comm check every three minutes. Keep your eyes moving, you can't rely on your other senses right now."

Sixuts lead the three-man fireteam forward, trusting Sergeant Kurosaki that he would bring up the rear to form a pentagon shape with Gaz on point, Sixtus on the left and Seth on the right. This way, Kurosaki could visually see every member of the squad and watch their backsides.

((Assuming we have a motion tracker that works underwater or some sort of detection device.))

<tag First Squad>

eyeball
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by eyeball » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:49 pm

patch formed up with the rest of the command squad and slowly moved out behind first squad.

he noticed that all the marines had realise that walking would stir up the bottom silt and reduce visibility to zero, so they were gently coasting about a foot above the silt layer.
patch couldn't really see much past first squad their bulky suits reducing his arc of vision but he trusted those marines infront of him. almost painfully slowly he seemed to drift towards the structure infront of him. "anyone see and obvious damge?" patch whispered, he had no idea why he was whispering but somehow it seemed right.
< tag all squads>
as the squads got closer patch could see individual portholes and pressure hatches, the large legs holding the structure up were covered with a barnacle like growth, even at this depth life flurishes it seemed.

there were exterior lights but those could just be navigation and back up lighting not a sign that anything was still operating. patch himself could see no obvious damage appart from the massive tangle of hosing that lay partly ontop of the structure and presumably off the other side. "i assume thats whats left of the comms cable and uplink stuff" patch noted to Simmovic.
<tag Simmovic>

Apachetear
Second Lieutenant

Post by Apachetear » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:18 pm

Having a small amount of trouble with the thruster, Jacob nearly spooned it as he dropped to the floor. However, determined not to look the fool he got control in time and landed gently on the bed of the ocean.

Pleasantly surprised at the grace of the suit and, well the only word for it was, peace of the surrounding environment. He started to gaze in wonder at the world that (as far as he was concerned) humans weren't mean to know.

Remembering his wager when suspended in the sub he turned his com to Sixtus.

"Half of mine if you can afford to stump up the extra couple of hundred, half of yours if not..." grinning he went to go for his cigarettes, but as the claw arm bounced off his thigh he ruefully remembered the situation.

<Tag Sixtus>

"These patches just aint the same" he mused idly...

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:10 pm

Apachetear wrote:Having a small amount of trouble with the thruster, Jacob nearly spooned it as he dropped to the floor. However, determined not to look the fool he got control in time and landed gently on the bed of the ocean.

Pleasantly surprised at the grace of the suit and, well the only word for it was, peace of the surrounding environment. He started to gaze in wonder at the world that (as far as he was concerned) humans weren't mean to know.

Remembering his wager when suspended in the sub he turned his com to Sixtus.

"Half of mine if you can afford to stump up the extra couple of hundred, half of yours if not..." grinning he went to go for his cigarettes, but as the claw arm bounced off his thigh he ruefully remembered the situation.

<Tag Sixtus>

"These patches just aint the same" he mused idly...
"Against your capabilities, Staff? Sorry, but this poor Corporal is gonna leave the betting to better men." Sixtus kept with his squad. They passed over the broken cables. "Command, First. Found the broken communication's cable. I'm not a mechanic, so someone who is will have to look at it. We'll keep moving towards the station to scout and provide overwatch, over."

He turned to the rest of his fireteam. "Same drill as before. Keep your eyes open. Move out."

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:35 pm

Morse watched as the lights began to show the soft dirt beneath them. Morse had been pretending to walk as they had been on their trip down. It was slower then he wanted, but it was surprisingly easy in comparison to what he had expect.

The moment they hit the ground Morse looked out around at the desolation. There was absolutely nothing out there, this was pretty much as alien to him as the colonies were.
"Ok third, fall in and move out. Lets get ready for action, but check your targets, understood?"
<Tag third squad>
Morse heard Dirk and he started his way over to the squad staging point. He approached slowly as he was getting used to the new movement.

"Ya figure I should take rear guard? Cus I aint figurin I can do that to good."

< Tag Dirk

Morse asked with a sarcastic smile on his face. Maybe if he got really lucky he'd drop behind the group, get lost, and get picked up at the end of the op.

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:23 pm

Morse wrote:
<Tag third squad>
Morse heard Dirk and he started his way over to the squad staging point. He approached slowly as he was getting used to the new movement.

"Ya figure I should take rear guard? Cus I aint figurin I can do that to good."

< Tag Dirk

"Sounds good Morse, but stay tight. I wouldn't want a fish to get any ideas about catching you." Dirk joked
<Tag Morse>

Return to “USCM 2.0 - Hell On Earth Campaign”