M1T1 - The fathomless depths

The 8th campaign
Nick
Administrator
Administrator

M1T1 - The fathomless depths

Post by Nick » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:31 pm

2179 AD, 1st November
Location: Sol system, Earth, atlantic ocean, Destiny research station, hadopelagic zone

"What do You think it is?" Cameron typed into her datapad computer stuck to her left arm of ther diving suit. "No idea" James replied in typing after a few seconds, the green text hovering on the glass bubble in front of her face. She frowned took another breath, slowly seeping in the liquid perflurocarbon into her lungs - Breathing liquid was more straenous that breathing air but the liquid was necessery at these incredible depths. She checked the diving computer that also measured her oxygene saturation but most importantly her carbon dioxide buildup. The perflurocarbon was not as good carrying carbon dioxide as it was carrying oxygene. She looked over at James, her shoulder lights illuminating his white diving suit. Just below him a green field of some kind glowed omniously. The diving suit reminded more of a space suit than a diving suit although he had fins. Camerons hands were numb from the cold down here, only 2 degrees over freezing. The need for fine manipulation forced her and the other divers on the site to use thin neonano gloves. Cameron looked down on the keyboard on her left arm, she had a few macros programmed in. Like help, follow me, left, right and so on. What she didn't have programmed in however was "watch out". Because that was what she would have needed next when the leathery egg looking object folded down it's flaps, decievingly slow - Encouraging whatever stood near to look down into the sack. Which was exactly what James did. He kicked with his finned feet slowly to bring him hovering over the opening. Everything after that happened with lightning speed. Something shot up from the sack and attached itself to James faceshield. Cameron first thought it was an octopus of somekind and laughed silently in the liquid as James slowly fell towards the hull of the sunken alien spacecraft. Help appeared on her screen several times and she started moving towards him drawing her diving knife. She had to be careful not to cut James when she used it. As she neared his struggling appearance she saw something that made her stomach sink. James visor was cracked and the thing, which on closer inspection looked nothing like an octopus, had sunken in through it. Cameron hesitated. She started typing on her datapad to sent for help. Her white glove moved quickly back and forth on the small touch screen. She were just about to press send when se saw something moving in the corner of her eye. She started to spin around to face whatever it was, but the bulk of the suit and the water hampered her movement and made her slow. Painfully slow. She rotated 180 degrees and saw another egg open its flaps, then another and more beyond it. She pressed the send button.

2179 AD, 3rd November
Mission timer: 00:00:00

Three days later.

Most of the marines were back in the barracks after a well deserved leave. A few of them had not returned yet but were expected to do so within the next twenty minutes or so. The marines milled around, some were checking their lockers. Others were changing into the military fatigues while other lingered in civilian clothes, reluctant to change into military gear for as long as possible. The Lieutenant had called for a briefing in one and a half hours time. He had mentioned something about earth and zero-g suits, which made no sense at all. Zero-G suits were used in open space where there was zero-g, henche the name not on planetside as they were incredibly bulky. All Marines had gone through Zero-G combat training as colonial marines, but none of the Bandits felt very profficient in it.

>

OOC: I will start looking over character experience and such within the next week or so. I have also started naming the turns to avoid confusion and wrong posting. Thanks for Your patience.

//N
Last edited by Nick on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Site admin

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Re: M1T1 - The fathomless depths

Post by maxvale76 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:42 pm

Samantha is in her BDUs and is over by the weapons rack, putting the final touches on making sure the Pulse Rifle assigned to her is in tip-top shape. Satisfied that the weapon is clean and in excellent working-order, she replaces it back onto the rack carefully and moves on to her side arm.
    Sitting down at a small table, she pulls out the pistol, ejects the clip and begins to break-it-down for cleaning. Finding the mundane, but comforting tasks like this are excellent for staying focused without dwelling too much on the nightmare thoughts of the alien creatures running around all-over the blue planet below...
ImageSGT Samantha "Sam" Hall

M41A Pulse Rifle
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Jean
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jean » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:07 pm

ICC hard ordered the specimen destroyed. Jean didn't have any problem with that. The only problem she had was finding a suitable way to the destroy the damned thing without destroying the ship they were on. After about twenty minutes of hard thinking she did find a way; Utilizing the forward airlock, old rusted metal, and a highly oxygenated container.

It would have been hard to throw while in a standard maintenance EVA suit, but she didn't have to throw it hard. The old rusted iron acted like an incendiary. It would get rid of anything once it started burning. Jean pressed a homemade button on the side of the container that struck a fuse between the lid of a soda-can and the contents inside. Beside that can, was a dead Xenomorph chestburster. Jean lobbed it out the airlock.

Not soon after, she watched as there was a small new star in the sky that grew brighter... brighter.... and then, darkness... It wasn't anything spectacular, and no one else would notice a thing. One things for sure though. Weyland Yutani would rue the day they ever put her together now. She input the code to shut the outer door.

Jean supposed the next order of business would be to maybe find a company that would buy her outright from Weyland Yutani. She was still at or around 80,000 dollars. Maybe a little less. Jean knew that having her hand chopped off, and refitted with another one, even though it looked as if nothing happened, decreased her resell value. She plotted and pondered as she stepped out of the inner-lock and back into the inner decks of the ship.

She did have more to worry about now. She wouldn't mention any of it to the team yet. These were her own personal worries and she wasn't going to bug anyone with them unless Weyland was so pissed when they found out what she had done, that they recall her, and if they recall her... She might end up either working on Tranquility Planum mining colony as a pleasure-droid, or worse --- disassembled like a defective toy.

She laughed to herself when she thought that maybe a marine might have up to 75,000 dollars laying around.

"Yeah --- Right..." She included as she pulled her helmet off, displayed her inner smile and whispered to herself while she walked away.
Last edited by Jean on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jean Wey - Assigned On-Loan Synthetic from Weyland Yutani.
Model# 406-6/Female

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:24 pm

Morse had enjoyed his time away from the combat zones. Granted he had spent a lot of his time filling out requisitions, and going over global political events, and then filling out more requisitions. Morse enjoyed staying productive, he couldn't stand sitting around uselessly doing nothing. So he would find clerical work among other things. Now stationed back at barracks he wasn't about to stop.

In his usual military fatigues he grabbed the only M41A-E2 off of the rack and took it up into his hands. He had really enjoyed using it at the range, and he had always wished he'd of used it in combat. He walked over to the closest table, though someone else was sitting at it. He didn't sit down, he just set the weapon upon the table. He began dismantling it piece by piece, setting the sections out in a line. He took his flask from out of his pocket after disassembling the weapon completely.

"Weapons seem to be gettin lighter, means less metal, means there cheaper... You'd figure the Corps find a limit to that 'makin do with what ya got' crap." Morse said looking at his weapon. He took a drink from the flask and went about checking all the pieces to make sure they were in working order.

< Tag Anyone.
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:14 am

"Also makes it lighter Morse." Sixtus was pulling apart his medical kit. If they were going into a zero-g environment, there were only a few things that he could take along.

"So where on Earth would you need a sealed-environment suit?" he wondered aloud. "Can't be too many places. Somewhere that has no air, and either little to none, or too much pressure."
Current Gear
M42A Scope Rifle
M4A4 .45 ACP caliber Sidearm, Suppressed
Combat Knife
K52 Medical Kit
Flashlight, Flares (6)
Image Image Image

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:01 am

Sam glanced uneasily at Morse as he placed his weapon down and started dismantling it at the same table she was using. She didn't know how to go about talking to the volatile marine; and so figured that not saying anything was probably a good policy.
    As Sixtus walked over and made his comments; something clicked in her mind. "The ocean...back on New Kingston; I used to see some scientist types use sealed-enviroment suits when they were doing studies deep under water. You think we're going for a deep swim?" Looking at her partially disassembled pistol; she continued her thinking out loud; "I hope the Corps has got some kind of harpoon gun or something for that, mon".
ImageSGT Samantha "Sam" Hall

M41A Pulse Rifle

Caparzo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Caparzo » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:17 am

As Colwell walked into the equipment bay sporting a shiner and a bruised and swollen jaw, he looked around and spying Corporal Quinn talking with some other marines walked over to them.
Waiting for a break in the conversation he noticed the weapon one of the marines was cleaning.  "That is the new M41A-E2!" he thought to himself. "Then that must be Cpl Morse the fireteam leader from the Easy 3's. Hmmp he's shorter than I remember him being from the tunnels." "Nice Weapon!"
Colwell then noticed what Quinn was working on and asked him the question that brought him looking for the Platoon Medic. " Excuse me Corporal Quinn, I was wondering if I could get some painkillers from ya?  I got into a friendly dustup last night with some freighter jockeys and whoo one of them boys packed a wallop! He knocked out a couple of my teeth and now it's hurting like the beejesus." he said with a gaptoothed grin.

Image Ln. Corporal Louis Colwell
3rd Battalion, 2nd Company, 1st Platoon
1st Squad Smartgunner

Jean
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jean » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:24 am

Jean walked in and opened her locker. It had the usual gear she would come to expect. Being assigned a pressure suit didn't bother her too much. Nothing ever did, really. She looked around and then back to her pack. There was something impolite scribbled on her mirror, obviously someone didn't like her. She just wiped it away and pulled out her backpack.

"Oh interesting," Jean said. "It's the new model..." She pulled out the laptop and looked at it. It was military hardbacked, but with a nice blue touch to it instead of it's normal digicam green. "Looks like it's more than the weapons we got that had been upgraded for us." She looked around and studied the outer casing. It had some ports that even she, the walking computer, had never seen before. She could surmise that if she had not seen it before, than no one else would know about it. This sent a signal straight to her emotional processor, a single little signal -- worry.

"Anything else besides the suits people notice different?" She asked to the whole locker-room in general.

Model# 406-6/Female

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:30 am

Dirk finished putting his uniform back on. As much as he liked leave he was glad to be back. There was only so much surfing, drinking and chasing women a Marine could do before he started to miss the field. Pulling his M-41A and old Colt M1911 from the rack, Dirk walked to the table where the other Marines were cleaning their weapons at. He sat down, set his pulse rifle and 45 on the table and pulled his pack of cigarettes from his shirt. He lit one with the battered USMC Zippo he always had on him.

"The ocean? Hell, I just got finished surfing. If they would have told me I would have just waited for you guys there" Dirk joked as he cleaned his weapons
Cpl Dirk Pitt
First squad leader

Gear
Pulse Rifle w/ 4 grenades, 8 canister shells
M1911 Colt .45 caliber Sidearm
Smoke Grenade x2
KBAR Combat Knife
Portable Welder
Ithaca Shotgun

Non Combat Equipment
Zippo lighter
Cigarettes

Jean
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jean » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:38 am

Dirk Pitt wrote: Dirk finished putting his uniform back on. As much as he liked leave he was glad to be back. There was only so much surfing, drinking and chasing women a Marine could do before he started to miss the field. Pulling his M-41A and old Colt M1911 from the rack, Dirk walked to the table where the other Marines were cleaning their weapons at. He sat down, set his pulse rifle and 45 on the table and pulled his pack of cigarettes from his shirt. He lit one with the battered USMC Zippo he always had on him.

"The ocean? Hell, I just got finished surfing. If they would have told me I would have just waited for you guys there" Dirk joked as he cleaned his weapons

"Surfing?" Jean seemed interested. "Do you think, maybe next leave, you can teach me how to surf?" She asked while typing away on her new laptop. "Most of my off-time was spent in debriefing by Weyland Yutani, but that was just because I had nowhere else to go. No one really wanted me to tag along."

Jean seemed hopeful for a more exciting down-time the next cycle around. She looked up at Dirk with a more pleading 'help-me' look more than an excited look. "Computres need vacations too, I suppose!" She ended that with a smile that defined a strange sense of irony about her thinking process.
Model# 406-6/Female

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:11 am

Morse continued to check each piece of his weapon. There were a few more pieces to the M41A-E2 then the standard variant, namely because the grenade launcher was all one piece, where the elongated barrel was divided into 5 different segments. It hadn't taken him long to figure out how to handle the additions, but it still had taken some getting used to. He heard the statements being made by the marines around him, and they all seemed to be considerably legitimate.
"Ocean seems mighty plausible I'm figurin. Can't figure anywhere else they'd be sendin us. But Dirk why don't ya tell us all bout your trip down to the coastlands lookin for Mister right." Morse said with his snide grin smeared onto his face.

<Tag Dirk and everyone

He took a slug off his flask and stared at his weapon in pieces for a moment.  Morse had tried to ignore the robot entering the room, but as always it was difficult with it's vocal box rattling.
"Surfing?" Jean seemed interested. "Do you think, maybe next leave, you can teach me how to surf?" She asked while typing away on her new laptop. "Most of my off-time was spent in debriefing by Weyland Yutani, but that was just because I had nowhere else to go. No one really wanted me to tag along."
Morse tilted his head up and stared at the ceiling while it spoke. He looked back down and across the table at the marine who'd been at the table before he was. "Christ in heaven on high, I wish the sentry guns could talk, that's a piece of equipment I actually wanna hear talk about it's thoughts." Morse said quietly to the woman sitting across from him. He wasn't lying about what he was saying and didn't fear any fallout of it either.

< Tag Sam
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:25 am

Caparzo wrote: As Colwell walked into the equipment bay sporting a shiner and a bruised and swollen jaw, he looked around and spying Corporal Quinn talking with some other marines walked over to them.
Waiting for a break in the conversation he noticed the weapon one of the marines was cleaning.  "That is the new M41A-E2!" he thought to himself. "Then that must be Cpl Morse the fireteam leader from the Easy 3's. Hmmp he's shorter than I remember him being from the tunnels." "Nice Weapon!"
Colwell then noticed what Quinn was working on and asked him the question that brought him looking for the Platoon Medic. " Excuse me Corporal Quinn, I was wondering if I could get some painkillers from ya?  I got into a friendly dustup last night with some freighter jockeys and whoo one of them boys packed a wallop! He knocked out a couple of my teeth and now it's hurting like the beejesus." he said with a gaptoothed grin.

Quinn stopped, looked over at Colwell with a single, raised eyebrow. Walking over, he instructed the Marine to open his mouth. When he did, the medic shined a flashlight where the teeth had been knocked out.

"None of them impacted. That's good." Sixtus commented as he turned off the flashlight. He rooted around in his bag and drew out a large needle. "You need to be very still right now. I'd rather not get you in the tongue."

"Ease up there Morse. I don't want to listen to you being an asshole." Sixtus interjected. "Jean, you probably wouldn't be allowed to leave the base, since you're listed as equipment on the TO&E."
Current Gear
M42A Scope Rifle
M4A4 .45 ACP caliber Sidearm, Suppressed
Combat Knife
K52 Medical Kit
Flashlight, Flares (6)
Image Image Image

Jean
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jean » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:12 am

"Ease up there Morse. I don't want to listen to you being an asshole." Sixtus interjected. "Jean, you probably wouldn't be allowed to leave the base, since you're listed as equipment on the TO&E."
Jean looked to Quinn and sighed, "You wouldn't happen to have eighty-five thousand dollars on you, would you? Otherwise..." Jean looked to Morse, whom would no doubt appriciate the joke.

"... the serf can't surf."
Model# 406-6/Female

Kurosaki, Ichigo
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Kurosaki, Ichigo » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:29 am

Kurosaki had been with his family out in Tokyo Metropolis. The former city had pretty much stretched out over the entire Honshu island, with the exception of the bombed-out hulks of Hiroshima and Sendai. His family had moved to Tokyo after Akizawa Chemicals wanted more manpower, and more foremen. That's where Kurosaki helped his younger brother Akihiro and youngest brother, James to get part-time jobs on the factory lines.
He had to cut leave short thanks to this thankless post, but still, seeing the universe was one of his favorite things to do. Well, maybe except be in Japan. It was a fantastic place.

Kurosaki arrived at the station just as Morse was being mean to the poor android. Kurosaki had the same feelings for it, it being practically not-human in every aspect but shape and speech, but it had proved itself in combat when it held down the chestburster for a few seconds. Nobody in their right mind would do that.

Kurosaki glanced at Quinn as he reprieved Morse for the comment. Quinn was the medic, but still, he had nearly everything to be a leader. Maybe after this mission Kurosaki would be re-assigned back to Espionage missions back in the Democratic Republic of Japan.

Kurosaki looked at the suits. Bit bulky, but survivable.
Sergeant 黒崎、イチゴ
Third Squad Leader
3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
M41A Pulse Rifle

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:54 pm

Jean looked to Quinn and sighed, "You wouldn't happen to have eighty-five thousand dollars on you, would you? Otherwise..." Jean looked to Morse, whom would no doubt appriciate the joke. "... the serf can't surf."
Morse grasped the concept of what the robot said fairly quickly. At first he assumed the robot was implying that he was the one living in servitude, but thinking on it for a second he quickly realized that the robot wouldn't have been stupid enough to leave itself that vulnerable, and was in fact giving itself some sort of 'self criticism'. Morse gave a low chuckle at the statement, but it didn't do anything but reinforce his thoughts, as that's all the robot was, a serf of the Corps. No pay, no time off, just work. And Morse didn't care in the slightest. He went about re assembling the the barrel of the weapon in front of him without looking around. He did it fairly slowly, as he didn't want to damage any of the pieces doing it quickly.

It was becoming increasingly evident that not everyone shared the same opinion of the robot as he did. The problem Morse had with it, was that the robot was just some new toy to replace the last one which they broke a while. Generally Marines didn't get overly attached to the equipment, and Morse continued to keep that in his mind. Androids were designed to break the barriers between man and machine, and have humans be more comfortable with working with them. But in many peoples minds that was an absolution they weren't going to accept. Morse had been to several of those little 'carnivals' where all they do is melt down and destroy robots that are obsolete or scrap purchases. They were extremely fun despite what some would say, but it wasn't likely here they would have the same 'appreciation' for what those good people were doing. It didn't matter to Morse either way, the robot was a robot. Just because the manufacturers gave it a personality, an annoying one at that, didn't mean it was worthy of being treated as though it was anything more then a piece of metal covered by skin like material.

Return to “USCM 2.0 - Hell On Earth Campaign”