Making a character, got some questions

How to join, advice, Q&A, general discussions
Duncan
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Making a character, got some questions

Post by Duncan » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:21 pm

I've been working on my character sheet and I have it essentially done. However, I had some questions about how things are applied:

Awareness vs. Scouting - I was looking through both skills and, on paper, it appears they both qualify for the whole "detecting incoming danger" aspect. Is this correct?

How do the stats work? I've read their descriptions, in the player guide, and some are specifically mentioned with regards to game mechanics. But how does my health stat affect the game, for example?

Any help on this would be extremely snazzy.

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Re: Making a character, got some questions

Post by Dugan » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:31 am

Hi

Your Health skill is your characters physical health and their ability to recover from wounds and hardship. With regards the difference between awareness and scouting, if you check in the index of the players guide there's a description of all the skills.

Oh and BTW welcome to the game!

Duncan
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Duncan » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:32 pm

That's sort of the issue with regards to the Awareness vs. Scouting; both seem to apply based on their description. As far as I can tell it essentially breaks down as:

Awareness: (Detect incoming danger) + expertise behind enemy lines
Scouting: (Detect incoming danger) + expertise in social interactions

I'm concerned about this because I'm making a wilderness scout / survivalist style character. I put the expert skill into Scouting; currently, I'm waffling between putting a novice skill into Awareness and leaving it empty. On the surface, it seems to make sense because with his background I intended him to be rather poor at social interactions (very solitary, etc.), and if Scouting applies to detecting danger, then I don't need to "double invest" on the same skill. However, if I've misinterpreted how the skills are applied, then I've essentially created a scout who is apparently oblivious to things six inches from his face, which would suck mightily. I'd rather clear this up now than during the character's first mission.

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Post by Dugan » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:32 pm

This is one that the GM maxvale76 will have to clear up for you, as its his interpretation of the skills which matters.

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:23 pm

Hey there Duncan...

For me; the skills are used quite differently; though both would be appropriate for a Scout character.

Awareness: (As I interpret it) is an all around "reading" of people, events, even the "sixth sense" of knowing that danger is about to happen....it's frequently subconscious; though in certain times (like being point man in a combat zone)...you're likely to be on a "higher frequency" than usual; if that makes sense.

Scouting: (Again, as I interpret it) This is more of conscious; trained in kind of "Wilderness Ranger" skill-sets that equate to searching for clues as to what's going on in an area; reading the terrain and evidence, etc.

A quick example that pops into my head might be that you have two characters; a veteran Marine who's been in numerous fights and a Wilderness Scout moving thru the woods together. As they approach an area where some bandits are about to ambush them; they both tense up. (IN game terms, they're both using thier skills; the veteran is using Awareness; the Scout is using Scouting).

The veteran just "feels" that something's about to happen; he can't make out any details as to what that is. The wilderness Scout can read the terrain and see immediately that some of the bushes have been cut down and there are some tracks leading to certain points where people are likely hiding. He can tell these are potential hiding spots for bad guys.

Does this help?

-Max

Duncan
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Duncan » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:46 pm

So, if I get it, they both apply, but the means by which the skills come to their conclusions are different?

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:02 pm

In my sample situation; they both apply; but there could be others where only one does....

Other examples:

If the same two characters (one with Awareness and one with Scouting) were walking along casually; no where near a hot zone; and an ambush was set up for them; neither player is stating they are using thier skills (why would they be?)...the character with Awareness would get an "unconscious" roll by me, the GM, to see if he gets any 'tingles' right before the ambush happens. The Scouting character would not.

On another mission; the squad is out to find a missing platoon of marines and these two characters are on point. Both are using thier skills; the character with Awareness would get rolls if any ambushes are about to happen; but he's not making any to spot the trail or possible clues of where the platoon might be....the Scouting character would be getting rolls for both.

Does this make sense?

Duncan
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Duncan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:37 pm

I see. In that case, would I be able to resubmit my character? I need to tweak him a tad.

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Post by Dugan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Yeah that's fine, just download him edit him and re-upload him with the same file name and it'll overwrite the existing one.

Duncan
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Duncan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:59 pm

I re-uploaded him. Everything looks good to go. Thanks!

Return to “The Game”