Post by Nick » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:18 pm

Good/bad?

//N

Bobater
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Predators

Post by Bobater » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:03 pm

It depends are we fighting them or do they help us?
Pvt. Alan Shepard

"Peace through superior firepower."

Casey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Casey » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:03 am

Suppose it'd depend on the circumstances. If it were done in fluid, effecient manner that did the species justice then yeah, I think it could be neat.

Are you talking about the movie? If so then it was better then the last few things I saw the species in; I particularly enjoyed all the tributes to the original film. Made me smile.

But if you're talking about interferences on ops by the hunters in game, then what I said at the top still stands. I pesonally think a single or small group of them could be nice flavoring, perhaps on some rebel planet. Limiting their appearences down to like a cameo would be key, or atleast allowing their bodies to be recovered by their own kind in spirits of the predator genre as they're very peculiar about their tech and all that jazz.

I don't think a whole thing about them would be a great idea, as it typically can't end up good for the good-guys. The big guys would go to limitless ends to recover their losses and the survivors would probably end up abducted by spooks. Assuming there's many survivors at all with the way they come and go.

Marcus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Marcus » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:07 am

I like the predators in a general sense. The 'Hunters' certainly so. They don't kill civilians, etc. Or they weren't supposed to. not like the 'Killer' Clans (which were considered jackasses by all the other clans. (and in some canon TRAINED Xenomorphs.)

Sometimes, there seems to be contradictions in what they say is 'typical' of Preds. Course that could be explained by differences in clans.

The fact that the females were supposed to be like, 8ft tall and made of ass-whoop seems to be consistent though.....

I don't think I'd last against one, in all honesty, but hey. They are out there.

Sooner or later we're bound to tread on their toes...

and Casey: Threes. They always come in threes.
(this coming from the guy whose not playing yet -.-)

Casey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Casey » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:52 am

The whole species really just needs a reboot and a solid, defined background. They've really always reminded me of technologically advanced indians, with each ship its own tribe. I'd just assumed instead of a home planet they have neutral grounds that each ship meets on to form rules/pacts/whatever.

I figure they probably trade pelts/trophies/artifacts to some other species in trade for their technology. As it just seems over their head.

Anyways. Threes. As good a number as any. I think the novels with Danchande running younglings had more than three, it was a hunt master and his young bloods.

Marcus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Marcus » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:21 am

Part of me disagrees. Part of me doesn't. It is a strange contrast. These active camo and super visors, on giants with fishnet and barely any armor...

*shrug* I always though they were a remnant of a fallen culture. Kinda like what you were saying 'Native American Indians with Space tech'. They know how to salvage the good stuff. Recreate it fairly well; but other than that... they can't make much from scratch.

wish there WAS a clear canon for them.

course we could always write some for the game...

*gets an idea*

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:59 am

As a species, I think they're some nasty sons of bitches. They exemplify The Hunt as a culture and are a very technologically advanced race (pulling what I remember from the books). What their social structure is as a race is largely unknown, since there hasn't been a lot of contact between humans and Predators (largely due to one killing the other). There is an overall leader on a major ship, usually much older than other Predators. Whether they just revere their elders or recognize that they have a great many kills on their belt is unknown.

I like the idea that they seeded the Alien race around the galaxy as the ultimate prey. The reason why they don't wear armor is because they prefer stealth above all else. They only use the Active Camouflage against species that shoot back, prefer the use of spears, discblades and wristblades over the plasma caster, but have the caster for use when they have to.

They have their own sense of honor, as they don't kill anyone who isn't armed. Whether this is a "don't kill civilians" or as Dutch put it, "wouldn't be sporting" can be debated, but isn't covered.

As to whether they should be in our game, I'm not sure, for the same reasons that Casey stated. The only mentions of Predators that humans should really see are flayed bodies, the growling clicking noise they make, or if one dies, the "nuke" going off. The problem that taking down a Predator is that when we kill it (if we kill it), we're left with no evidence and S2 wants a debriefing and we're swarmed with Corporates, essentially the platoon would be split apart never to reform. It would make one hell of a game ender though.

Marcus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Marcus » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:48 pm

That's just if we talk about it.

If we don't report it, it didn't happen... and that's another thing. Do all Preds have nukes or just the one arnold fought?

Casey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Casey » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:10 pm

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that any predator that we'd ever run into would have a tac-nuke for the same reasons that they'd come for their fallen. They're really protective about their technology, and would go to great lengths to retrieve/destroy it.

AVP, and AVP2, though not great by any standards, I feel got it right at least to the point of that the other predator came and destroyed the evidence/tried to contain the outbreak of aliens. So yeah, any that is supposed to come in contact with aliens or humans probably has one, and especially so on their ships.

I also agree that Predators should be limited to the stalking noise, skinned bodies, perhaps distorted movement while cloaked, or an unconfirmed, distanced kill that could be highly debated.

Otherwise, I feel the whole game would need a reboot into some specialized corporate merc group that somehow has intel on the predator species like Weyland Yutani, or something of that nature and wouldn't be hard pressed or deemed crazy for seeing an invisible demon.

Marcus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Marcus » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:17 am

They might also be written off as a breed of Xeno capable of active camo.

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:14 am

I want a Predator for a pet!
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Marcus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Marcus » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:54 pm

in all realism, they'd have YOU for the pet.

Darkblade Bug
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Master Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Darkblade Bug » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:33 am

O_O

We're doomed.

Rascal
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rascal » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:23 pm

I also agree that Predators should be limited to the stalking noise, skinned bodies, perhaps distorted movement while cloaked, or an unconfirmed, distanced kill that could be highly debated.
what she said and i think, in reality, if there were Hunters they would only go for the most experienced (sorry guys but its the truth; im not just sayin that cuz im the rookie and i dont want to tangle with sumthin im not ready for, i just have a thing against my spine being ripped from my body thats all lol)

Marcus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Marcus » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:17 am

I know we're only using the first two movies of Aliens for the 'Aliens' cannon, but there is a series of comics regarding the Predators.

There's a tribe of them known as the 'Killers' Who ignore the rules of the hunt and slaughter non-prey and fellow Predators alike.

They also have shown a capacity for using pheromones to control aliens.

Return to “The Game”