Rolling?

How to join, advice, Q&A, general discussions
Hauser
Private

Rolling?

Post by Hauser » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:43 am

I have a question about the mechanics of the game. I've got a character sheet, but how exactly does/will it apply? I'm asking specifically about rolling. I might just be dense, but I couldn't find anything on this really, and I saw <Roll Alertness> in one of the recent posts.

How does it work? Do I just grab a d100/d20/whatever, roll it, and post my result? Is there a website we're using for this so rolls can be verified?

Being pretty new to the way you guys are doing things here, I hope I'm not being too inconvenient. And I'll keep browsing around to see if this has already been covered elsewhere (it probably has and I'm just jumping the gun.)

Thanks in advance!

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Re: Rolling?

Post by maxvale76 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:15 pm

Hey there Hauser;

I'm not sure if you're familiar with "pen-and-paper" Role-playing Games; if you are; my apologies, I don't mean to talk to you like a greenhorn. If not; then in essence; the deal is that we're playing a game normally played around a table with one person (the Game-master; in this case, NIck) taking on the role of leading us through the Mission and telling us when we contact other people and creatures and rolling for them if combat or situations develop where rolls are needed (bargaining sessions, etc.)

Since this is all on-lline; Nick looks at our stats on our character sheets and rolls dice for each of our declared actions to see how well we do.

Example: Hauser is in a fight with a Xenomorph 10 meters away. You (the player) tell Nick: "I shoot a couple of bursts at the alien with my Pulse Rifle". Nick takes a look at Hauser's (the character) Gun Combat skill; the range: 10 meters; and using the correct tables (he has a book with these in them) makes a pair of rolls (1 for each burst) and figures out if you hit the Alien; and if you do; where you hit it; and how much damage is done. Then; if the alien is still alive; Nick decides what the alien will do; and if required; he makes rolls for it....(for example; if the Xenomorph attacks Hauser the character)....

This make sense?

Some ofthe charts/rules are on this site: look in the "Player's Handout"; the rest is in an out-of-print RPG book called "Aliens the Adventure Game" by Leading Edge; made back in 1990 or 1991. I have the book; and you can sometimes find it on Amazon and Ebay; word-to-the-wise...it's usually fairly expensive!

Hope this helps!

-Max

Hauser
Private

Post by Hauser » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:09 pm

I'm actually fairly familiar with pen and paper RPGs. But thank you! You answered my question either way. I just wasn't sure if it was the player rolling when asked, or if it was Nick taking care of everything. Now I know! Thank you again.

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:36 pm

Good! I hate it when people talk to me on-line like I'm 6; so I certainly don't want to ever come across that way to anybody else!

I'm not sure if Nick actually rolls dice or has a die-roller on-line do it; but yes, he handles the "rolling" part.

Believe it or not; I've come across a large number of people in the past few years who have never heard of "pen and paper RPGs" and they are only used to computer games and "story-telling" sites where everybody just kind of decides what happens on thier own. For a long-time pen-and-paper RPG guy like me; this can be quite a shock! :)

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:23 pm

I use real life doom dice...

Return to “The Game”