Favourite Game and biggest let-down of 2010

Anything & Everything
rednus
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Favourite Game and biggest let-down of 2010

Post by rednus » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:39 am

Well, after the massive year in gaming that was 2010, I was wondering what your favourite game was as well as the biggest let-down.

I'll get the ball rolling:

Favourite: Halo Reach.

Let down: Cod Black Ops

*note: dont get me wrong I love the COD series, MW2 is a regular visitor to my 360, but the Black ops campaign was such a massive step backwards in game design and the amazingly bad zombie mode feels tacked on
(its as if Left for dead never existed). I had great hopes for this title and in my opinion, it just failed to deliver on the hype it generated.
.Cpl Rednus Chappell
U.S.C.M Rifleman
Eightballs, First squad.

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Re: Favourite Game and biggest let-down of 2010

Post by Quinn » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:12 am

I actually did an entire shpeel on this earlier. Let me see if I can find it...

Storyline: The word I'm most likely to use to describe the game's story is: trippy. The majority is set in the Cold War between NATO and the Soviet-Communists. As a part of an American Special Operations Group 40, the game is during the character's (Mason) debriefing by an unknown interrogator. Most of the time you're working hand in hand with the CIA doing things that would be considered questionable if the American public found out about it, and I felt like an absolute badass during it, like when I was interrogating someone. The twist at the end, that Mason had been brainwashed by the Soviets while in their prison came as an utter blow to me. The Siege of Khe Sahn was the most difficult level (specifically the fighting downhill part), and that was just on regular. But that did happen in the real conflict, and the man responsible for driving the NVA off the hill got a Medal of Honor for it. The game feels like it's rooted in the worlds conflicts, and you're not playing in the shadows, you ARE the shadows.

Score: 9.0

Gameplay: It felt like it was Modern Warfare 2 in a different setting, which means that Treyarch just used the same engine, instead putting their time into creating vast new levels, a lengthy single player experience, new weapons and a new multiplayer experience. More on that in a bit. All the weapons are period and so is the gear. Some of it looks blocky because most of the gear was made from the late sixties to the early eighties. It wasn't anything new to the genre, but it added a few new interesting things.

Score: 7.0

Multiplayer: If you're used to MW2, you're not missing a whole lot. Like Halo: Reach, you gain points with each kill you make, every challenge you complete and, should you choose to accept it, every contract you complete. Those points go to purchasing equipment that you unlock as you increase in level. You purchase the Perks and weapon attachments the same way. It makes things more difficult so that not everyone has everything, but you can tailor your own soldier to your play style. I find it refreshing myself.

The zombie part is the one I find the most fun. Like the Zombie challenge in World at War, only you're playing one of either Kennedy, Castro, Nixon or MacNamara. This has lead to some great toss off lines.

Score: 9.5

Graphics: They were a little better than MW2, but nothing spectacular.

Score: 7.5

Overall Score: 8.25

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:48 am

Mass Effect 2 was the best game of the year in my view, in fact one of the best games released ever.

//N

rednus
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Post by rednus » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:47 am

Agreed, Mass Effect 2 is one of the most gorgeous games around.
I promised myself I'd finish part one first to upload my character,
but time constraits are probably gonna force me to start a fresh hero in game 2.

Good pick.
.Cpl Rednus Chappell
U.S.C.M Rifleman
Eightballs, First squad.

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:42 am

I honestly agree that Mass Effect 2 is the best game of the year. Loved that game from start to finish.

Rascal
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rascal » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:07 pm

And im going to reply with a simple "Ditto"

Andglin
Private

Post by Andglin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:43 pm

A little late in the reply I agree but Im going to have to agree with the group and say Mass Effect 2, Finally got around to getting it after Obi kept bugging me, Was well worth it and gotta get the first one now,

Cheers for the nagging Obi ;D

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:29 am

I agree with regards to COD Black Ops. It offered nothing new to the genre for FPS or expanded the Call of Duty series. Halo Reach would be my pick for FPS of the year, excellent story with impressive campaign playing options. As well it was supported by an awesome multiplayer capability.

Mass Effect 2 is clearly my winner overall. The scope of the game as a stand alone is impressive. What drew me in further was the fact that you could import your character from Mass Effect 1 and whereby the decisions you made in the original reflected in the sequel. However I believe it is a genuine reflection on the sort of game you would expect from Biotech, hailing back to the original Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.

To sum up, bring on Mass Effect 3 and MW COD 3!
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:51 am

I agree with regards to COD Black Ops. It offered nothing new to the genre for FPS or expanded the Call of Duty series. Halo Reach would be my pick for FPS of the year, excellent story with impressive campaign playing options. As well it was supported by an awesome multiplayer capability.

Mass Effect 2 is clearly my winner overall. The scope of the game as a stand alone is impressive. What drew me in further was the fact that you could import your character from Mass Effect 1 and whereby the decisions you made in the original reflected in the sequel. However I believe it is a genuine reflection on the sort of game you would expect from Biotech, hailing back to the original Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.

To sum up, bring on Mass Effect 3 and MW COD 3!
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Hunk
Chief Warrant Officer 2

Post by Hunk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:15 am

Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City, Looks like a gears of war style shooter. WHERE IS THE HORROR =F

Resident evil 4-5 Why didn't you just make another series and call it "Not resident evil, but really its resident evil."

Shadowtech
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Shadowtech » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:21 am

rednus wrote:Favourite:Let down: Cod Black Ops

*note: dont get me wrong I love the COD series, MW2 is a regular visitor to my 360, but the Black ops campaign was such a massive step backwards in game design and the amazingly bad zombie mode feels tacked on
(its as if Left for dead never existed). I had great hopes for this title and in my opinion, it just failed to deliver on the hype it generated.

These are my exact feelings.

Except my favorite game was Mass Effect 2. I can't wait for 3 to come out in March.
PFC Devlin Hernke

Squad One

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:22 am

New thread for 2011...

Return to “Off topic”