Anybody interested in a Posleen campaign?

Anything & Everything
Kurosaki, Ichigo
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Re: Anybody interested in a Posleen campaign?

Post by Kurosaki, Ichigo » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:36 am

In terms of mountain ranges, Japan is arguably one of the most mountainous countries.

Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force (Special Boarding Unit, as well as Sasebo Special Landing Force 8)

They use a variety of weapons, including Japanese-made Howa Type 89 and type 64, to Chinese weapons such as the Type-56 and Russian and american weapons such as AKMs and RPKs (light machine gun variant of the AK-47), and the M-16A3 and the M60.

What do you think pants?
Sergeant 黒崎、イチゴ
Third Squad Leader
3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
M41A Pulse Rifle

Tyler Ishizawa
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Master Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Tyler Ishizawa » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:12 am

Private wrote: In terms of mountain ranges, Japan is arguably one of the most mountainous countries.

Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force (Special Boarding Unit, as well as Sasebo Special Landing Force 8)

They use a variety of weapons, including Japanese-made Howa Type 89 and type 64, to Chinese weapons such as the Type-56 and Russian and american weapons such as AKMs and RPKs (light machine gun variant of the AK-47), and the M-16A3 and the M60.

What do you think pants?
Does the JMSDF actually have special naval landing troops? Pretty sure Japan disbanded all of them after WW2 and never formed them again. I know the JMSDF has boarding parties/special forces, and landing crafts, but I think all land combat is undertaken by JGSDF units.

Regarding the closest thing Japan has to Marines, I think it was the Ground Self Defense Force's Western Army Infantry Regiment. Those guys are responsible for defending the islands closer to Taiwan. The Japanese also have a 1st Airborne Brigade, a force of paratroopers, part of the Ground Self Defense Force, but one of the few Japanese units with offensive capabilities.
ImageCorporal Tyler Ishizawa, 3rd Squad

Bullet42
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bullet42 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:45 am

Pants just let me know if you can get any U.S. Marines in there. Ill join reguardless the campaign sounds really fun.
Pvt. John Tomala
Byron's Bandits - 1st Squad
M41A Pulse Rifle

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Post by pants » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:46 am

Hmm, I'm still unsure how the Japanese Defence Force would be involved in the defence of the Australian mainland.  Private if you can think up a good reason for having them there I'll allow it.

Bullet42 most of the Marines are in the brand new Fleet Strike the infantry arm of the Federation Fleet.  They are the guys in the ACS (Armoured Combat Suits) which are sort of like the battle suits from Starship Troopers (the book, not the movie). 

I'll give you the same option that I gave Private.  If you can think of a good reason to have them there I'll allow it.  But it had better be good!

I'll try and write up an outline of the campaign universe and the rule structure this weekend.
Zoe Barr
Chief Petty Officer

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Post by Dugan » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:45 am

You could always say that the Japanese were doing some sort of joint training with the Aussies when the war started and therefore couldn't get back home.
Image Ssg Dugan Simovic, Platoon Sergeant                 
ImageImage

Kurosaki, Ichigo
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Kurosaki, Ichigo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:13 am

I'll take Dugan's idea, Pants.

Ishizawa- Its true that most of the landings (the few that there were) are done by Army, but some are done by naval infantry. I don't remeber where I read it, but I saw an article about how the Japanese have at least 120 naval infantry on some ships, notably troop carriers and destroyers.
Sergeant 黒崎、イチゴ
Third Squad Leader
M41A Pulse Rifle

Bullet42
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bullet42 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:09 pm

Well US Marines could have a base there. Or you could just say Force Recon were conducting and Special Forces Operation on Australian soil of sorts and are stuck there till Reinforcements or till a rally with other forces in the area. Maybe drifted off mission course and ended up in the situation. There's lots of ways to insert the USMC.
Last edited by Bullet42 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pvt. John Tomala
Byron's Bandits - 1st Squad
M41A Pulse Rifle

Kurosaki, Ichigo
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Kurosaki, Ichigo » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:58 am

Is there a link that is avalabile to get to your site, pants?
Sergeant 黒崎、イチゴ
Third Squad Leader
M41A Pulse Rifle

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Post by pants » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:33 am

Sorry Private no site yet.  I'm still trying to come up with a workable campaign.

According to the actual Timeline given in the books Australia gets wiped out in a month or so.  So I'm trying to think up a way to keep the campaign going around this fact.  Well to be exact the last transmission from Australian High Command is a month after the first wave hits.

What I'm thinking is that we play fast and loose with those facts.  I've got a couple of ideas about how to do this but if anyones got something to add let me know and I'll see if it's doable.

Also I need to come up with a ruleset covering combat with multiple combatants as well as providing a realistic reaction set for the sections you'll command.  Basically what I'm thinking is that the more experienced and trained a unit is the better it is at taking fire as well as returning it.

For example a group of civilians armed with rifles isn't going to react the same to a regular rifle section when under fire.  Most of those civilians will be thinking about themselves and won't be able to work as a coherent unit, while the rifle section will have several instant actions for set situations.

Anybody got some ideas about how I can handle this?
Last edited by pants on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zoe Barr
Chief Petty Officer

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:58 pm

You can use a simple system of Morale. Military and Police units have a higher morale than civilian untrained units. Specialized Military and Police have even higher and Special Forces have the highest.

The Morale roll, just make it a percentage, must be cleared or the group is pinned - which means just laying down taking cover. If the rallying roll (morale) fails again and the group is still under fire it is routed and if it fails a third role it is considered broken and cannot be rallied again.

Something like that.

//N
Site admin

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Post by pants » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks Nick that actually works well with what I had in mind. 

Now to apply that to my partial game system and see what's the go.

Got any suggestions for multiple opponent combat?  Cause the smallest unit for the Posleen is about twenty and most of them roam around in groups up to 400 or more strong.
Zoe Barr
Chief Petty Officer

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:23 pm

Just let me know when..I'm there.
Cpl Dirk Pitt
First squad leader

Gear
Pulse Rifle w/ 4 grenades, 8 canister shells
M1911 Colt .45 caliber Sidearm
Smoke Grenade x2
KBAR Combat Knife
Portable Welder
Ithaca Shotgun

Non Combat Equipment
Zippo lighter
Cigarettes

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Post by pants » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:54 pm

Ok I need some Weapon Systems for the Posleen campaign.

First off all ideas need to be based on current Earth technology as there is only a limited amount of Galatic Super Tech that the Australians can afford. 

The Aussie Army needs first of all an Anti-Aircraft capability capable of taking out a spacecraft that can take almost anything up to a nucleur strike.

Next they need an armoured vehicle that can take on a horde of supergun toting Posleen.  It probably won't survive but it needs to survive long enough.

Any other ideas and suggestions for weapon systems would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Zoe Barr
Chief Petty Officer

AstroBoy
Chief Warrant Officer 2

Post by AstroBoy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:12 am

baneblade
William Jones

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Post by pants » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:10 am

A superheavy tank is a possibility but the Aussies don't have the financial clout to buy the anti-gravity technology from the Galatics that would make such a tank feasible.  Although having said that the Americans do make an Earth Tech version called the She-Va. 

To give you an idea of what the financial system is like in the Posleen universe 1 Galatic Federation credit is worth 200 American Dollars and apparently the Galatics only accept American currency as legit.

So a 3mm Gravity Pistol, one of the smaller sidearms, costs 4000 Federation Credits or 800000 American Dollars and that's without ammo.

So GalTech is pricey but if you want it you can buy it.

Other suggestions?
Zoe Barr
Chief Petty Officer

Return to “Off topic”