Turn 2 - Morning of the Incursion

The joint campaign of the 8th and 9th platoons
Pale Rider
Major

Post by Pale Rider » Tue May 01, 2007 7:51 pm

Date: December 1st, 2080AD

The Marines of the Easy Eights and the Delta Dogs had sat through their briefing. Each one had looked into the eyes of the General and had noticed the presence of the two black clad and armed men standing guard at the entrance. These men meant business there was no playing to be had. The men at the entrance were only two members of a twenty man black ops unit that would shoot first and then take names; they never questioned their orders.
Both Platoons had been given orders to examine the hive first, take out as many of the Xenomorphs as they are capable of and if possible detain the Alien Queen. The powers that be want to examine the aliens in as natural a setting as possible so as to better understand them and hopefully to determine the best method of eradication.
Those of the original members of the Easy Eights and those who had formed the Delta Dogs from the Easy Eights did not believe a word of their superiors. The General and his flunkies did not want to find a better method of eradication, but rather they wanted to test the combat capability of the Xenomorphs. Lt. Morrison had found out through the grapevine that General Jennings was a member of the Weapons Development Branch of the Marine Corp, so he had his own theories concerning the current brand of work. Needless to say they were heading into the tunnels with Lt. Morrison overseeing both Squads from the ground level, he had been ordered to remain at the firebase.
It is sunrise the day of the incursion, each of the marines find themselves sitting down in the mess tent for breakfast. Lt. Morrison had given the men thirty minutes to eat and fall in formation before hitting the tunnels.

GM

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

bull30548
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by bull30548 » Tue May 01, 2007 9:25 pm

Chewing his food dispassionately not really tasting it as he looked at the other officers. He keeps his voice down so as not to scare the lower ranks. "Only thing I have come up with so far is each man is issued a remote turret and flamer except the smartgunner they get extra ammo. We set 2 every 30 or so meters in to cover our rear or at junctions. Three flamers and a smart gunner up front. The three drive the bugs off the walls and ceilings smartgunner mops up. We rotate our guys and girls as ammo runs out. Rest of the squads act as rear guard and cleanup if necessary. Keep Harmon up near the front to with his scoped out gun to pop heads if necessary. Medics to the center so they can be better protected. No breaking up into squads too damn dangerous in there. How about the rest of you guys?" Drinking from his mug the somewhat decent coffee as he looks down the row and wonders just how well this plan of his will work. Or how many of those down the row including himself will survive it. Probably not at all no plan survives encounter with the enemy. Though considering we have them in front and in behind doesn't help.

ergeant Gavin 'Wrench' Jones
Section B Second Squad
Squad Leader
3rd Battalion 2nd Regiment 8th Platoon
"Easy Eights"

Apachetear
Second Lieutenant

Post by Apachetear » Tue May 01, 2007 10:41 pm

[quote=""bull30548""]"Only thing I have come up with so far is each man is issued a remote turret and flamer except the smartgunner they get extra ammo. We set 2 every 30 or so meters in to cover our rear or at junctions. Three flamers and a smart gunner up front. The three drive the bugs off the walls and ceilings smartgunner mops up. We rotate our guys and girls as ammo runs out. Rest of the squads act as rear guard and cleanup if necessary. Keep Harmon up near the front to with his scoped out gun to pop heads if necessary. Medics to the center so they can be better protected. No breaking up into squads too damn dangerous in there. How about the rest of you guys?"

[/quote]

Jacob was lying on his back staring at the sky above, he'd already wolfed down his meal and now was resting for what time he had left, a cigarette lay smouldering in his hand.

"I'm not letting my men get lumbered with all that shit Wrench, you haven't ever seen one of these things, you were on a farm in an APC when Green found some of the little ones. You haven't seen them rushing at you, last thing you want is to be lumbering more stuff than necessary. If they're rushing you, you want to be able to move freely and not worry about the remote gun on your back weighing you down." Jacob drew on his cigarette and exhaled into the air, smoke trailing from his nose and mouth. "As for sticking together...how wide are those tunnels? I don't want everyone bunched up and crowded together, sometimes 4 marines will be more use in a tight spot because they can bring just enough guns to bear. Any more and your wasting manpower, people get crowded accidents happen, and we get slaughtered. No, I think squads is a better idea. Still, the LT has the final say here. So what's happening Morrisson?"

Pvt. Jacob "smiles" Honeysett

Pulse Rifle
Shotgun
Pistol
8" Dagger
12" Shortsword

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Tue May 01, 2007 10:44 pm

Eric didn't like the sound of these "xenomorphs", and he certainly didn't want to try and catch a queen of them, but he did what he was told. He was also surprised that he being sent into a long-term combat situation this early out of boot camp. Now it was just thirty minutes until he went down the hole, and he was eating what he realized was possibly his last meal. He had sat between Angela Hawkins and the marine named Harmon who he'd talked to earlier. He then had a thought that made him very nervous.
He had claustrophobia.
“Um, does anyone here no how wide this tunnel’s gonna be?â€
ImageSgtMaj. Danny Sykes - Platoon NCO
USCM Special Forces Recon Team
Serial Number: D26/TQ6.3.48412E9

Apachetear
Second Lieutenant

Post by Apachetear » Tue May 01, 2007 10:47 pm

[quote=""Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks""]

“Um, does anyone here no how wide this tunnel’s gonna be?â€

Pulse Rifle
Shotgun
Pistol
8" Dagger
12" Shortsword

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Tue May 01, 2007 11:13 pm

"Every tunnel's gonna be wide enough to die in, that's all you need to worry about. If you're scared of the dark, don't be...be scared of what's in the dark...Welcome to the marines son."
“Yes Sir!â€

Apachetear
Second Lieutenant

Post by Apachetear » Tue May 01, 2007 11:33 pm

[quote=""Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks""]

“Yes Sir!â€

Pulse Rifle
Shotgun
Pistol
8" Dagger
12" Shortsword

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Wed May 02, 2007 12:44 am

"You what?" He exclaimed "Not afraid to die, then you're the bravest man I've met yet! And as for valuing our lives higher than yours, that's a fine opininon for me to have, but widespread it probably won't end well. Now I don't want to mess with your principles, but...prioritise, your life is always most important to you. Now, I'm sgt. Honeysett who the hell are you?"
Eric couldn’t tell if it was sarcasm or respect in the Sergeant’s voice, maybe both.
“It’s Eric Roberts, Sir. And don’t get me wrong, I’m not bragging. Naturally I have the same animal fear of death as the rest of mankind, but all I’m saying is that if it comes to the worst, I’ll take a bullet for one of you. Well, if they were shooting, but you know what I mean. I have a troublesome past, and I’ve got a lot of issues, one of which is claustrophobia. I think I got rid of it but I don’t want it to come back. It would be bad if I freaked out in those tunnels.â€

HeavyGlenn
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by HeavyGlenn » Wed May 02, 2007 6:42 am

Ronald just sat eating, listening to the others. He shrugged a bit and got a little irritated hearing privates talking about tactics with the leaders, soon he couldnt keep quiet. "Sir Jacob Sir? Could you tell the newbies it doesnt matter what tactics they think up, all it matters is the ideas you guys put forward, please?"
an Donaldson

Huey
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Huey » Wed May 02, 2007 7:56 am

“It’s Eric Roberts, Sir. And don’t get me wrong, I’m not bragging. Naturally I have the same animal fear of death as the rest of mankind, but all I’m saying is that if it comes to the worst, I’ll take a bullet for one of you. Well, if they were shooting, but you know what I mean. I have a troublesome past, and I’ve got a lot of issues, one of which is claustrophobia. I think I got rid of it but I don’t want it to come back. It would be bad if I freaked out in those tunnels.â€
pl. Huey Williams
8th Platoon, Section A, 2nd Squad
Squad Leader

Apachetear
Second Lieutenant

Post by Apachetear » Wed May 02, 2007 9:35 am

[quote=""Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks""] it was sarcasm or respect in the Sergeant’s voice, maybe both.

Pulse Rifle
Shotgun
Pistol
8" Dagger
12" Shortsword

Atypicalkiller
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Master Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Atypicalkiller » Wed May 02, 2007 12:14 pm

Khan listened as the troops chattered on, He smoked his cigarette and kept his eyes on Morrison, and the men he had already gone down in the tunnel with. They were by no means experts, but unlike the other new members Harmon, Altair and Khan had got a rude awakening to exactly what Morrison and the others had been so fearful of.

Green was right, in the end Morrison would come up with a plan. He had gotten Khan out of the first expedition Khan trusted his judgement, although Morrision wasn't the only thing that got Tarik out of the tunnel. He looked down at his M56 and started examining for any possible problems the gun seemed fine other than the dry blood of the Grow flaking off of it.

TK took another drag... "Don't hesitate...shoot everything.." TK said directed towards Roberts and the others. Tk was by no means a trigger happy Marine but he wasn't going to die...not just yet anyways...

An idea will get you far, actions will keep you alive. Tk fully stood up and headed towards the other Squad leader..

" I hear you're in the supply business....got anything worthwhile for a Smartgunner?" It was a chance worth taking maybe the sticky fingered SquadLeader had something of value for Khan to stay alive even if for a few moments longer

(OOC Are we getting extra rounds/equipment? I just wanted to check with the unofficial supply officer.)
Last edited by Atypicalkiller on Wed May 02, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCM
BootCamp GM
Corporal Tarik Khan

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Post by Dugan » Wed May 02, 2007 12:30 pm

Simovic sat picking at his food, the briefing & rumors had understandably totally put him off it.

"So we are pretty much going to be used as bait to test out the capabilities of this creature?! Well that fucking sucks, I ain't here to die, i'm here to do a job and collect a wage, not be some sort of banzai suicide troop for the brass. Anyone of those things comes any where near me and they're gonna eat my Flame Unit, regardless".

"You can arm up with M60 White Phosphorous Incendiary rounds or M40 HE rounds will pretty much do the same job, apart from blow them to bits as well".

O.O.C I've listed all the different round types on the wiki:
http://colonialmarines.wikispaces.com/#tochome9
Image Ssg Dugan Simovic, Platoon Sergeant                 
ImageImage

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Wed May 02, 2007 12:35 pm

he held his hand out for a handshake. "I got a feeling that me and you are gonna be good friends" He said with a smile
Eric shook the man's hand, not able to tell whether he was serious or not.
"You should probably stay close to one of vets in the platoon" He told Roberts. "You're in first squad right?" The question didn't really need an answer. "Mean's Chapell's your Squad Leader, that mofo is one you need to stick with.... He real sharp" Huey said nodding his head.
Eric nodded and added "Thanks" at the advice.
"Well...if you're going to take a bullet to protect someone, just make sure they're worth protecting is all..." Jacob was being sincere for once, he didn't know why but this man was drawing honesty out of him...

"And, if you're claustrophobic, as long as you think you aint gonna slow squads up then it's your call..." He continued, before stopping to light a cigarette
"Roger that Sir. And uh, I think I'll be fine Sir, just thought I'd find out." he said. He didn't want to get left behind over something that stupid, and he doubted it would come back.
"Don't hesitate...shoot everything.." TK said directed towards Roberts and the others.
Eric smiled a little at the man. Shooting everything sounded a lot easier then distinguishing if it was human or not. "Well, will there be any people down there? "Cause if so we'd better be more careful where we shoot."
Then he was hit with a pang of sadness, which was the usual in his life now, but he pushed it aside, leaving him sick to his stomache and not hungry.

tarpshack
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by tarpshack » Wed May 02, 2007 2:49 pm

"Well, will there be any people down there? "Cause if so we'd better be more careful where we shoot."
Joe ate his food and listened to the conversations breaking out around him. "There won't be any people down there; none alive anyway. Every second you spend trying to figure out whether or not it's human is another second closer to being squished." Joe broke eye contact with Roberts to shoot a quick wink at Tarik. With that Joe smiled and took another bite.

Just then Joe remembered something pretty crucial about their experience with fire in the tunnel, "I should also point out that these tunnels seemed to be somewhat flammable. Just… food for thought."

Return to “USCM 1.0 - Draconis Major Campaign”