Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Turn 5 Rifle Squad 2

Post by Nick » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:50 pm

Date: 17th August, 2080AD, 2100 UT
Operation: Training Op
Mission timer: 04:00:00

Second squad fought the dense jungle with machetes. It was incredibly dense here and they had to take turns in using the machete. They seemed to be standing still. Forty minutes had passed since LT Vincent had radioed Sgt Steel - Forty minutes that felt like a whole year. The rain had decreased somewhat but the thunderstorm raged like never before. A lightning struck a mere kilometer away, an ear splitting crack followed and the sound could be felt as much as it could be heard.

The Marines cursed, their knuckles beaten bloody by the stiff resistance of the bush. Cut one creeper down and there where two just behind it, stretching all over - It was like a spiders web of branches.

Lt Vincent ordered a short break. Suddenly they heard something. Then they heard it again. Someoene to their east was firing an automatic weapon. Then other weapons chimed in, creating a choir of gunfire.

Site admin

bull30548
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Turn 5 Rifle Squad 2

Post by bull30548 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:36 am

Having unslung his shotgun Jones begins loading it as he kneels down to let his legs rest supporting all his weight. But as soon as he heard the fire he rolls behind the first thickest tree he sees and points down range with his shotgun. Readjusting to help put as much tree between him and any fire he slips his helmet on and lowers the IR sight. Jones looks all around with his shotgun up and side to side.

"Ok were those just blanks or was THAT live fire?" Radioing over the headset so he doesn't have to yell out. "Mckenzie you got Ares with you I don't want to hit him if he's out that way."

ergeant Gavin 'Wrench' Jones
Section B Second Squad
Squad Leader
3rd Battalion 2nd Regiment 8th Platoon
"Easy Eights"

Jocke
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Turn 5 Rifle Squad 2

Post by Jocke » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:31 am

"Stay quiet and calm people. And keep your thick heads down! I want a porcupine formation- three meter spread, clear?" Morrison said on his squads frequency, scanning the surrounding jungle. It didn't really do him much good- it was too dark, and too thick. The sound of gunfire had his mind racing- it could ofcourse all be part of the exercise- but blanks are under-loaded, so they wouldn't be able to hear the weapons as clearly as they did. No other squad had reported a contact, either.

bull30548 wrote:Having unslung his shotgun Jones begins loading it as he kneels down to let his legs rest supporting all his weight. But as soon as he heard the fire he rolls behind the first thickest tree he sees and points down range with his shotgun. Readjusting to help put as much tree between him and any fire he slips his helmet on and lowers the IR sight. Jones looks all around with his shotgun up and side to side.
Seeing what Jones did was encouraging- atleast the kid knew how to move. But there was one little detail that sort of annoyed Morrison; "Jones- quit playing with the peashooter and get back to your M41A1" Morrison's voice was calm, but very frosty.

Turning his head to Vincent, he spat some dip at the rotting canopy beneath his boots.

"So do we check it out, or do we continue to the field HQ, boss?"

"McKenzie- get the dog to sweep around us- make sure noones sneaking around out there" Morrison gestured towards the surrounding green hell.

(OOC: Porcupine formation -or Hedgehog, if you swing that way- is when a squad, platoon, or an entire company, form a circle with their backs to eachother, guns pointing outwards, hence it's name.)
LcCpl Conrad Heart

bull30548
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Turn 5 Rifle Squad 2

Post by bull30548 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:32 pm

He slips his shotgun over his back in the webbing of the pack and pulls his rifle back up. "Yes, sir. Sorry sir I just didn't want accidently pop off a round into the area they could shrug it off since it isn't APHE. Just trying to keep to the orders at hand." He slowly moves back until he is in position three meters away from Wolf and finding some decent cover if there was any.
Section B Second Squad
Squad Leader
"Easy Eights"

Kagaroth

Turn 5 Rifle Squad 2

Post by Kagaroth » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:38 pm

bull30548 wrote: "Ok were those just blanks or was THAT live fire?" Radioing over the headset so he doesn't have to yell out. "Mckenzie you got Ares with you I don't want to hit him if he's out that way."
Jimmy looked in the direction from were the voice came identifying the man then with a low voice he answer: "If I'm nt mistaken that sounded like live ammo but we must not count on that we are here on a training mission so we should consider this like a real battle and act accordingly."

He didn't care if it was live ammo, he trusted his skills, he survived until that very day so he was ready for another skirmish with unknown enemy force.

tashw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Turn 5 Rifle Squad 2

Post by tashw » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:10 pm

"So do we check it out, or do we continue to the field HQ, boss?"
"It sounded a way off to me," Eileen looked off to the east in the direction of the shots. Not that the jungle allowed her to see much further than a few metres. She shook her head, "No, it sounded closer to Eagle or Honeysett. We're continuing to HQ, I want to know exactly what's going on here."

nd Lieutenant Eileen Vincent
Platoon Commander
3 Bat, 2nd Reg, 8th Platoon

Jocke
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Turn 5 Rifle Squad 2

Post by Jocke » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:27 pm

tashw wrote:"It sounded a way off to me," Eileen looked off to the east in the direction of the shots. Not that the jungle allowed her to see much further than a few metres. She shook her head, "No, it sounded closer to Eagle or Honeysett. We're continuing to HQ, I want to know exactly what's going on here."

"Copy that." Morrison stood up slowly, looking for any kind of movement in the surrounding bush.

"Devildogs- we are heading out- same heading and formation as before. Stay sharp!" The squad looked collected enough, he just hoped that all of them would make it back- Morrison had lost more then enough men...

Morrison did not like this at all. He had the same nagging feeling that accompanied him on his last drop. He shook his head, trying to clear it of everything that would take his concentration away from the mission at hand. Without a word, he followed McKenzie into the thick jungle.
LcCpl Conrad Heart

tommymnemonic
Private

Turn 5 Rifle Squad 2

Post by tommymnemonic » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:52 am

Gareth kept a sharp lookout in his sector. The weapons fire startled him, but he tried to keep his reaction to a minimum. No need for his squad to start thinking he's anything but a hard bitten leatherneck. Why was there weapons fire on this training excersise? What happened to the laser tag system? Mines? Real, blow your leg off and kill you land mines?

Alright, keep it together. Nobody else is freaking out. Just stay calm and focused on the job at hand. Listen to the NCO's and the LT and we should make it out of here alive.

Gareth readied his pulse rifle for the live ammo, setting condition 3. He double checked his ruck to be sure everything was secure. Once he'd taken his designated position, he gave himself a moment to just feel scared. Then he tried to man up and get his job done.

"Condition 3 correct? What are our orders in case of contact?"

Private Gareth Bren
'Break Shots' Rifleman/Medic
3 Bat, 2nd Reg, 8th Platoon, 2nd squad

Jagr35
Private First Class
Private First Class

Turn 5 Rifle Squad 2

Post by Jagr35 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:30 am

McKenzie acknowledged the directions from Morrison and clicked over the his team channel. "Ares, Circle." he directed and immediately watched as the hybrid canine broke off and moved off to the left. From training McKenzie knew that Ares would circle out about 100 yards and sweep around the moving marines. Switching to the HUD on his eyepiece Hunter watched as his partner progressed through the dense jungle.
VT Hunter McKenzie/K9 Ares
K9, Ground Auxillary
3 Bat, 2nd Reg, 8th Platoon

"Bystanders only count for partial cover."

bull30548
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Turn 5 Rifle Squad 2

Post by bull30548 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:56 am

Date: 17th August, 2080AD

"Condition 3 correct? What are our orders in case of contact?"
"Duck and cover until confirmation of target marine. They confirm it as a threat we kill it pretty easy. So lets give some thought on what we got so far on this 'training mission'. We got live fire, live sentry guns, and perhaps live claymores. I am very curious as to who the hell we pissed off to end up in this kind of a mess? Now I know this isn't a democracy Lt and Corporal and I plan on following right along with current orders? But honestly is there any chance I can find out why somebody wants us dead? "

Jones stands in position ready to follow into the mouth of hell. Inside however he is about to shit himself. He has never been scared of anything in his life not really. But for the first time in his life just by seeing the looks on the Lt's and Corporal's faces. Experienced hardened marines looking worried about the mission.
Section B Second Squad
Squad Leader
"Easy Eights"

Jocke
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Turn 5 Rifle Squad 2

Post by Jocke » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:57 pm

Overhearing Jones and Bren talk, Morrison nodded towards the two marines,"Jones has most of it down" he said, spitting again "But not only will we wait for target confirmation- if need the be- I will also try and evaluate it, so we might be retreat.... I mean, taking backwards-action if the enemy force is too much foor us to swallow in one bite."

Morrison shook his head, nthe absurdity of his current situation amusing him. How much bad luck can I have?

Morrison then turned to McKenzie "Once you got it cleared, you take point, I'll be right behind you man."

"Alright people, lock & load! Keep 'em on safe!" Morrison said to his squad.

LcCpl Conrad Heart

Kagaroth

Turn 5 Rifle Squad 2

Post by Kagaroth » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:05 am

Jimmy could hear weapons fire in the background, he was trying to find from where the sounds came but he could not see much through the bushes. The tention grew stronger when he heard land mines exploding around. His first thoughts were to move in to find more about what was going on and the lack of intel was one of the biggest drawbacks for their unit, a damn training turning in real combat, what can you ask for more, we need to find more but where the hell in recon they should proide us with intel regarding current events.

Another explosion of a land mine and Jimmy looks at Corporal Morrison and their Lt, come on cut the damn chit chat and lets move we are sitting ducks here, lucky us they haven't sent scout patrols this way but every second lost in place can give this unknown enemy a chance to discover our position, he was still looking at both the officer and at the NCO waiting for something to happen.

Kagaroth

Turn 5 Rifle Squad 2

Post by Kagaroth » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:15 am

He got lucky as he heard Corporal Morrison voice, some asction at last, taking backwards-action makes me sick only thinking, does our corporal that we are cowards or we are some stupid fools and that we don't know we are running?, you are jocking almost came from Jimmy mouth but he stopped as he check his pulse rifle making sure his safe is off and sat still waiting for more orders coming from Morrison.

bull30548
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Turn 5 Rifle Squad 2

Post by bull30548 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:32 am

"I mean, taking backwards-action if the enemy force is too much foor us to swallow in one bite."
"Why do I have a feeling that going to be the best answer I am going to get? Sir, Can I recommend that we let Wolf be in the rear then? If we have to move backwards and regroup he would be a great tail gunner for such an action? And if we have to set up a defensive line then we could have him move up quickly and we form a line on him. Um just a thought sir sorry sir."

He cleared his chamber and th blank round bounced on the ground. He clicks the safety rather audibly as he gets back in formation. He cradle d his gun on his arms waiting for the order to move out.
Section B Second Squad
Squad Leader
"Easy Eights"

Jocke
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Turn 5 Rifle Squad 2

Post by Jocke » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:08 am

bull30548 wrote: "Why do I have a feeling that going to be the best answer I am going to get? Sir, Can I recommend that we let Wolf be in the rear then? If we have to move backwards and regroup he would be a great tail gunner for such an action? And if we have to set up a defensive line then we could have him move up quickly and we form a line on him. Um just a thought sir sorry sir."
"Because it is. And yeah, sure- leaving the big gun in the back where he won't do any good at all is not how I work. If you don't like it, you can write to your congressman." Morrison's voice was low, and bitter.

Looking back over is shoulder, he could make out the marines as a line of dark lumps, stretching out into the darkness behind him. When McKenzie gave him the signal, he stood up in a hunched fashion, slapping the arm of the man behind him "We're moving out, pass the word along. I want a "Alpha" passed through the line from tail-end charlie every three mikes. Got it?"

I'm getting too old for this sort of crap. Morrison thought, as he tried to not think about how cushy life as a waiter had really been.

(OOC: "Alpha" is just a phrase- it could be any phrase- that a squaddie will use when his unit is on the move in less-then-bright conditions. Here is how it works; the guy on the tailend will at set times say, or whisper, the phrase to the guy infront, who will pass it along, and eventually, it'll reach the squadleader up front- this way he knows that the entire squad is still with him.)
LcCpl Conrad Heart

Return to “USCM 1.0 - Barnard's Star Campaign”