The 2nd Eightballs campaign
tashw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by tashw » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:11 pm

Date: 17th August, 2080AD
Operation: Training Op
The arrows moved over the image and showed drop points, extration zones and target areas.
Eileen stood beside the projected image, studying the image once more briefly before turning her attention to the platoon.

"You've had a chance to look our latest vacation spot. Jungle terrain, and according to latest reports from Recon a heavy storm approaching. The good news is it will help cover the drop ship and our approach. Just try and keep that in mind when we have to walk through it."

"The primary purpose of this mission is to practice co-ordination of operation with Recon squad. In this case attacking the defended base at Zulu Bravo based on intelligence gathered by Recon. The base will be defended by 12 marines from 3rd Regiment, 1st Platoon."

"The dropship will land First Squad and Sergeant Steel at Drop Zone 1, then Second Squad and myself at Drop Zone 2. Both squads will them approach the target on foot, First Squad from the south and Squad 2 from the west. We'll be using the terrain and the jungle as cover, both from any enemy patrols and whoever may be using that lookout tower."

"Which brings us to Recon. Recon squad is currently approaching the target to identify enemy forces and disposition. This includes identifying any use of the lookout tower. We'll contact them when we land, at which point we'll be able to assess the threat from the tower. If we can be observed or attacked by forces on the tower Recon is responsible for taking them out."

"Both squads will approach to 500m of the target and halt there. Once all squads are in position we'll co-ordinate an attack on the target. Final details on this will depend on what Recon have to tell us."

"As you know no live ammunition is to be distributed," Eileen glanced at Honeysett and Morrison. "I'll rely on squad leaders to make sure I don't see anyone carrying it. Sergeant Steel, you and I are authorised to carry live ammunition. No one's said we can't carry a few spares, so let's make sure we do."

Eileen looked around at the platoon, "Now, are there any questions?"

nd Lieutenant Eileen Vincent
Platoon Commander
3 Bat, 2nd Reg, 8th Platoon

bull30548
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by bull30548 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:16 pm

"Looks like it going to end up being a three prong attack Corporal. I like those odds better to be honest."

"Lt. are we going to be using the dropships for overwatch or are they just dropping us and jumping out?" Raising his hand so the Lt. know who was talking.

He had heard the Lt. comment but decided not to mention that he had a couple of live ammo clips in his rucksack even a smartgun canister in there. He liked tinkering with things and was trying to figure out a way to prevent jams. He also had the rounds for his shotgun in his bag too. His reasoning behind this maybe they could bag a wild pig or something after the op. Have a little barbeque to celebrate the win whoever won. No grenades though he never muched cared for them too dangerous to use especially in close quarters. Misjudege the distance or your aim off just enough to bounce back at you and you just lose a leg or arm if you were lucky. He generally loaded those buckshot rounds in his launcher for the pulse rifle if he had a choice.

Putting his hand down after speaking he whispers over to Bren. "Well so much for me on this mission. I am about as stealthy a rock being thrown through a greenhouse. I guess it all on you man huh?" Nudging him in the ribs to give him the hint I am kidding.

ergeant Gavin 'Wrench' Jones
Section B Second Squad
Squad Leader
3rd Battalion 2nd Regiment 8th Platoon
"Easy Eights"

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by pants » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:47 am

After Cpl Morrison and Steel had finished their little chat he slapped the marine on his shoulder as the Corporal left.

Turning his attention back to the LT, Nick listened as she laid out the mission, and he couldn't keep the grin off his face when she had finished.

"This sounds like a cake walk! We go for a bit of a tramp in the bush, hook up with Eagle's recon squad, then show the marines from 3rd Regiment, 1st Platoon why the 'Easy Eights' are the best damn marine outfit in the whole darn corp! I love my job! Hoohah!"
"Actually LT, I've got a question about the live ammo situation. I know only me and you are authorised to carry it but I thought it might be easier to also load up Cpl Morrison and L Cpl Honeysett with live rounds as well.

"For one thing it cuts down on the load that we both would have to carry and secondly if we run into any hostile indigenous lifeforms it allows us to respond faster to a hostile situation. While our orders state that only you and I should be carrying, what the mission planners don't know won't hurt them."

Nick had a cheeky grin on his face while he said this.

"Of course since this is only a training mission we won't be running into any live fire from our opposition, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Also Lieutenant which squad are you assigning Pvt McKenzie and his puppy to?"

Zoe Barr
Chief Petty Officer

exowolf
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by exowolf » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:40 pm

John just stood there taking it all in and nodding at everything that went on. He was tired of the new recruit brown nosing and all the annoyances it brings. Briefly he shook his head at the sniper check comment.
The primary purpose of this mission is to practice co-ordination of operation with Recon squad. In this case attacking the defended base at Zulu Bravo based on intelligence gathered by Recon. The base will be defended by 12 marines from 3rd Regiment, 1st Platoon."

"LT, is this a hit and run on the base or are we going to take it over?"

Also Con, I am going to need to go over the coms we use between the groups then.

"They are building a prison so we can escape..."

Pale Rider
Major

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by Pale Rider » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:22 pm

“November-Five-Five to Papa Bravo, we have a situation here we have encountered a UA571 Sentry gun with live ammo. It will either open fire on us or it will give our position away to our ‘enemy.’â€
GM

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Jagr35
Private First Class
Private First Class

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by Jagr35 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:16 pm

"Of course since this is only a training mission we won't be running into any live fire from our opposition, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Also Lieutenant which squad are you assigning Pvt McKenzie and his puppy to?"

Hunter stood up, once again giving Ares a "stay" hand signal. "Ma'am I'm as concerned as Sgt Steele is and with all do respect. I'm a little confused as to exactly what my team is supposed to do. Although, we do have enhanced direct action abilities, we are hardly a front line assault team. Can you give me a better idea of exactly what our specific assignment is?"
VT Hunter McKenzie/K9 Ares
K9, Ground Auxillary

"Bystanders only count for partial cover."

StConstantine
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by StConstantine » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:32 pm

Also Con, I am going to need to go over the coms we use between the groups then.
"Sure I can run you through everything on the drop ship, most of it is pretty self explanatory and idiot proof so you won't mess stuff up too much but I still wish Danny Bojan was here 'cause he could run you through the whole thing properly." Con said to John "at least he knew what he was doing, I was just a temp"

"Yep" Con said "one over here, how the hell are we gonna take a base with empty guns? Would you like us to run in there with our bare hands and combat knives or is there some system for killing the enemy?"
PFC Karl Sarafian
Combat Engineer
"Boom"

tashw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by tashw » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:40 pm

Private Gavin Jones
"Lt. are we going to be using the dropships for overwatch or are they just dropping us and jumping out?" Raising his hand so the Lt. know who was talking.
Sorry Jones, the dropship's strictly there to get us on the ground," Eileen replied, "Once we're landed they return."

Sergeant Nick Steel
"Actually LT, I've got a question about the live ammo situation. I know only me and you are authorised to carry it but I thought it might be easier to also load up Cpl Morrison and L Cpl Honeysett with live rounds as well.

"For one thing it cuts down on the load that we both would have to carry and secondly if we run into any hostile indigenous lifeforms it allows us to respond faster to a hostile situation. While our orders state that only you and I should be carrying, what the mission planners don't know won't hurt them."
Eileen considered Steel's suggestion, then smiled slightly, "You're a bad influence, Sergeant. Alright, squad leaders get to play pack horse too."

"Also Lieutenant which squad are you assigning Pvt McKenzie and his puppy to?"
"They'll be with second squad," Eileen glanced over to McKenzie, "I'm interested in seeing them in action."

PVT Hunter McKenzie
"Ma'am I'm as concerned as Sgt Steele is and with all do respect. I'm a little confused as to exactly what my team is supposed to do. Although, we do have enhanced direct action abilities, we are hardly a front line assault team. Can you give me a better idea of exactly what our specific assignment is?"
"I'm was expecting mainly scouting duties. Early warning on enemy patrols, and later on we'll need to search the enemy base. You have the best idea of your dog's abilities though, McKenzie," Eileen gave him a questioning look, "Do you have another suggestion?"

Pvt John Blackhawk
"LT, is this a hit and run on the base or are we going to take it over?"
"Our objective is to take control of the base," Eileen replied, "Eliminate any enemy forces there and secure the structures."

Private Con Alexander
"Yep" Con said "one over here, how the hell are we gonna take a base with empty guns? Would you like us to run in there with our bare hands and combat knives or is there some system for killing the enemy?"
"Training exercise, Alexander. I'd appreciate it if you didn't actually kill anyone, and I'm fairly sure 3rd Regiment would prefer it that way too. Laser emitters and sensors will be used to identify 'kills'."
nd Lieutenant Eileen Vincent
Platoon Commander

Apachetear
Second Lieutenant

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by Apachetear » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:35 pm

"It's like a big game of paintball...without paint..." Grinned Jacob. "Alright, so I'm an ammo horse I'll carry a clip or 2, personally I'd prefer a pistol with a clip as a 'just in case' rather than fumbling with loading and unloading my rifle...if it's all the same to you of course..." Smiling sweetly Jacob looked at the LT before looking back at the rest of his squad "I don't want any 'nades taken by accident by the way, too much risk in a training op with 'nades..."
Pvt. Jacob "smiles" Honeysett

Pulse Rifle
Shotgun
Pistol
8" Dagger
12" Shortsword

Jagr35
Private First Class
Private First Class

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by Jagr35 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:45 am

"I'm was expecting mainly scouting duties. Early warning on enemy patrols, and later on we'll need to search the enemy base. You have the best idea of your dog's abilities though, McKenzie," Eileen gave him a questioning look, "Do you have another suggestion?"

McKenzie shook his head with a smile. "No Ma'am. Just wanted some clarifications. Early warning is our bread and butter. We'll give you a show."
VT Hunter McKenzie/K9 Ares
K9, Ground Auxillary

"Bystanders only count for partial cover."

tommymnemonic
Private

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by tommymnemonic » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:16 am

bull30548 wrote:
Putting his hand down after speaking he whispers over to Bren. "Well so much for me on this mission. I am about as stealthy a rock being thrown through a greenhouse. I guess it all on you man huh?" Nudging him in the ribs to give him the hint I am kidding.
"I'm all about retaining the element of surprise. Don't know how effective I might be in that department, but you never know. I wonder what it'll be like, going down to the surface in the drop ship? Ever done that Wrench?"
Private Gareth Bren
'Break Shots' Rifleman/Medic
3 Bat, 2nd Reg, 8th Platoon, 2nd squad

bull30548
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by bull30548 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:57 am

"Priest," Eileen turned to the android, "Contact Field HQ and report the presence of a sentry gun armed with live ammo. Confirm it's part of the exercise."
"Say what? Well that can't be a good thing can it? Ok which one of you vets took the 1st for a ton of money on Gateway hehe. You must of really robbed them."

"I'm all about retaining the element of surprise. Don't know how effective I might be in that department, but you never know. I wonder what it'll be like, going down to the surface in the drop ship? Ever done that Wrench?"
"Not into combat but we did do one drop in the APC at boot. The rest were simulated drops just to get used to it. I just wish we could use rubber bullets on this one." Looking at the blanks in the clip that was going to go into the pulse rifle. "My drill sergeant loved using those to help us get used to the armor and it limitations. Damn things hurt like hell but when one or two those zinged over your head got your attention better than some blank rifle report. Hell in a combat situation it is hard to tell who getting shot at."

"I don't want any 'nades taken by accident by the way, too much risk in a training op with 'nades..."
"I am with you on that one Corporal but I actually was thinking about the smartgun tracking system. If we set up some phosphorous grenades next to some trees. Tag those trees with some IFF emitters suddenly sthe smartgun going to zoom in on the tree and not us. Also if they got any of those sentry guns set up down around the base as well they confuse them too. If I had the right equipment and gear I might even be able to figure out what kind of IFF encoding they are using and copy it nulling out the special targeting on the sentry guns and the smartguns targeting computer." Realizing he rambling on like the tech head he is he starts examining the clip again.

As he thinks on the clip something else springs to mind. "Hey Sarge are we going to be taking motion trackers on this one. Or is the terrain foliage going to screw up the signal returns?"

ergeant Gavin 'Wrench' Jones
Section B Second Squad
Squad Leader
3rd Battalion 2nd Regiment 8th Platoon
"Easy Eights"

Return to “USCM 1.0 - Barnard's Star Campaign”