Turn 2

The 1st Eightballs campaign
Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Turn 2

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:05 pm

Mission timer: Start

The computer screen flickered once pausing for a few seconds just to have letters cascading across it. The characteristic sound of the sleeper pods relays engaging could be heard as a repeated ticking sound. In rapid succession the screen printed out:

D.Minuteman, E.Carson, D.Manny, A. Caden, N.Steel, X.Shirak, R.Green, A. Dufresne, H.Nelson, M.Carter, K.Macguire

Moments later the lights came on in the sleeper pods. It was a bright unforgiving light, like staring into the sun. Painful.

With a mechanic buzz the lid of the sleeper pods started to rise. Despite life support systems normally engaging 6 hours before sleeper pod activiation, the warm air of the pods where quickly sucked out and replaced by the cold damp air of the ship. To say the least, waking up in a sleeper pod after 19 days of sleep was unpleasant. The body was stiff and aching, you would have a hang-over like feeling for the first few hours not to mention how freezing the steel floor was.
Site admin

HeavyGlenn
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Turn 2

Post by HeavyGlenn » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:13 pm

Ronald stretched and walked out of his pod, he started to jump a little because of the cold and petted his cold feet. I hate these sleepings things, rather been eating food and singing for 19 days... He looked up at the others as soon his feet was a bit warmer. Good morning people, who is up for breakfast, or is it dinner? He said with a laugh.
an Donaldson

Magnus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Turn 2

Post by Magnus » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:34 pm

"Uugh, breakfast?" Mangus mumbled, slowly rising into a sitting position in his pod. His flesh was covered in goosebumps and he shivered as the last of the body-temperature air from his pod was replaced by the cold wet air from outside. "I feel like shit and you want breakfast?"

Stretching, Magnus got out of his pod. He hissed when he put his bare foot on the icy steel floor, squinting as his eyes tried to adjust to the light. "Christ, you never get used to that. I was warmer back on LC-380, and that was a friggin ice ball moon. Of course they knew how to keep a young marine warm." His eyes glazed a bit as he remembered his last post before going to Gateway Station. "There was this one girl with great big ..." Magnus coughed. "Umm... a smile. Great big smile. Nice personality. Ahh... maybe I'll just check the pods out."

Walking, slowly, Magnus went to the control panel overseeing all the pods. He tapped a few commands. "Okay, everyone's green. Rise and shine, etc etc. It's a beautiful day in the black of space."

Magnus looked to Ronald. "Don't suppose breakfast includes a nice shot of rum maybe?"
rivate Magnus Carter
Medic 2nd Squad
3 Bat, 2nd Reg, 8th Platoon

logician
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Turn 2

Post by logician » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:29 pm

Hearing voices, Sgt Caden awoke with a start. He held his eyelids shut and let the flood of light filter through. I was dreaming. It was dark and something was moving around me. I reached for my sidearm, but it wasn't there. That was all he could remember. Oh, well...

Caden lifted himself out of the sleeper pod and stretched his arms and legs. No matter how often you have a go in those pods, it's hell comin' out of 'em. Caden noticed Pvts Green & Carter chatting near a display. "Enjoy your nap, boys? I could have done without that wake-up call."

Caden walked over to the comm unit on the opposite side of the room and selected the Bridge. The Sgt remarked to the waking squad, "Let's see if the night watch has any word." Speaking into the microphone, Caden said, "Sgt Caden for Arti Priest. Give me a report on our location and status." Caden released the switch and waited for a reply.
ergeant Atticus Caden
Section A Leader

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Turn 2

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:38 pm

After a few seconds Priests british accented voice was heard through the intercom: "We have reached the Denebola system and its quite a view from up here" Priest paused for a few seconds "I have a ship on long range scanner and it has been identified as the WY-109. I expect to have visual on the ship within three hours." The voice sounded nasal and almost brittle through the telecom.
Site admin

tashw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Turn 2

Post by tashw » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:48 pm

Kelly opened her eyes and groaned as she found herself staring straight into the bright artificial light of the sleep chamber.

"Christ," she complained shading her eyes with one hand, as she climbed out of the pod, "Will someone turn the lights down and pass me a coffee." She stretched with another groan of complaint as her back popped in several places, then looked round at the others, "I swear to god that gets worse every time."
nd Lieutenant Eileen Vincent
Platoon Commander

Magnus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Turn 2

Post by Magnus » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:18 am

"Sorry Kel," Magnus paused. "Can I call you Kel? You have a handle, you know, a callsign or anything? You can just call me Mag, everyone does. Well usually people call me worse, but that's another story. Ask me about the nose sometime. Most violent chess game ever. Honest."

"Anyways, well these lights seem to have one setting, 'eye fry.' I feel like I'm going blind every time I wake up. Now, coffee I could deal with maybe. Us second squaders have to stick together, through thick and caffinated..." Magnus continuted to motormouth randomly and trailed off talking about something involving liquor and a tropical beach.

It was easy to see why most people didn't get along with Magnus easily, he tended to talk too much and got himself in trouble often.
rivate Magnus Carter
Medic 2nd Squad

HeavyGlenn
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Turn 2

Post by HeavyGlenn » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:02 pm

Ronald watched the others talk for a while before started to stare on Kelly for a while then shook his head like he awoke a second time, afterwards he spent the next free minutes to do some "sit ups" and sighed.

You know, we should have a few arcadegames like back home he said a bit unsure. Well I gona get myself food he said with a whispers and moved towards the "kitchen area?".
an Donaldson

Magnus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Turn 2

Post by Magnus » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:49 pm

HeavyGlenn wrote: (snip)"Well I gona get myself food" he said with a whispers and moved towards the 'kitchen area.'
"Ahh! The kitchen! That's where the coffee lives!" Magnus joked, following Ronald towards the mess area.
rivate Magnus Carter
Medic 2nd Squad

Heath Nelson
Private

Turn 2

Post by Heath Nelson » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:57 pm

"I'm up, I'm up" murmured Andy - to let himself know more than anyone else. He grabbed the pair of flip-flops he had stowed in his tube before the long sleep, and slid them on his feet before he ever hit the floor. Man, the USMC loved their toys; they don't even let you stay awake for a 19 day out.

Some of the others were already heading for the kitchen, but Andy didn't make it two steps from his tube till he realized the 'head' was going to be his first stop.
rivate Andy Dufresne
Rifleman 1st Squad

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Turn 2

Post by pants » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:47 pm

Coming awake after being frozen like a popsicle really sucked a fat one, thought Nick as he regained consciousness. Hearing voices he forced himself to sit up and take a look around.

It looked to him like the rest of the squad was up and most of them was heading for the kitchen. He on the other hand really needed tp take a leak and maybe rinse his mouth out.
Zoe Barr
Chief Petty Officer

tashw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Turn 2

Post by tashw » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:01 am

"Ahh! The kitchen! That's where the coffee lives!" Magnus joked, following Ronald towards the mess area.
"Someone else can beat it to death," Kelly combed her fingers through her hair as she tried to yawn herself awake, "I don't kill nothing before my first coffee."

She caught up with Magnus, falling into step beside him, "Mag huh? You can stick to calling me Kelly. Can't say I've picked up no other names," she grinned crookedly, "Or at least none you're gonna hear about."
nd Lieutenant Eileen Vincent
Platoon Commander

HeavyGlenn
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Turn 2

Post by HeavyGlenn » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:14 am

Ronald looked at Kel and Mag as the walked next to him and laughed a bit. Hey lovebirds, no flirting with each other on the assigment alright, Ronald said with a smile on his lips as he held up his hands, ready to block off any friendly slaps or punches from the two.

As the reached the kitchen Ronald opened the door and let everyone through before him, he also said "Good morning" to each passing person. As soon Andy comes he pets his shoulder. Hey Andy, dont be so slow. You got to eat alot, cant have a teammate that is to weak or hungry to give me cover, after all im the guy with the big gun you know he said and laughed like hell.
an Donaldson

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Turn 2

Post by Nick » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:49 am

The Lieutenant rose from his pod slowly and looked groggedly around for a few seconds. He looked pale and a little thin, compared to the well built frames of the other marines he looked outright scrawny. Probably noticing this as well he quickly pulled a white t-shirt over his head and with remarkable speed he dressed up in his green field uniform.

He walked over to Sgt. Caden, ignoring the other marines, and said. "Sergeant. Let me introduce Lance Corporal Chappell and Private Bojan to you" he said and turned around giving a nod towards two marines standing in front of their lockers.

"They were helping the dropship crew with their autocannon as we made the briefing before hitting the sleepers. They have been brought up to speed with current situation. Chappell will be the squadleader of second squad and Bojan is a rifleman there. I'm sure you make the necessery introductions" he continued.
Last edited by Nick on Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Site admin

rednus
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Turn 2

Post by rednus » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:53 am

As other marines milled around in preparation,a combination was being keyed into a locker. Clothing himself and double checking his posession's, Lance Corporal Chappell removed a small, folded scrap of paper from from the container, read and pocketed it.
..sempre fi, bitch..

In a break with what seemed the other's spoken thoughts, Rednus didn't mind the pod sleep, he always awoke fresher from them than natural rest , and found he could deal with the long hours of work easier.(some sleep is better than none, and dreams never found him in podsleep)

While the hangovers were still bad after wake-up and he felt as though he had recently arm wresled a Synthetic, food & coffee would quickly alleviate such worries.

The mission at hand came to mind,
...synthetics...
...mutineers...
...biohazard containers...

and he mentally ran through worst case scenario's , a calming exercise he was taught ,
..people only get angry when something happens they dont expect., and when people get angry mistakes occur...
-this was his second tour as squad leader and he was going to expect anything this time.

.. Hunger works very quickly these days.. ,he mumbled to himself, and as he did, noticed that there was still grease under his fingernails from the M577 Auto-cannon quick-prep he perfomed so many hours ago...
.Cpl Rednus Chappell
U.S.C.M Rifleman
Eightballs, First squad.

Return to “USCM 1.0 - Andromeda Campaign”