Turn 29

The 1st Eightballs campaign
Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Turn 29

Post by Nick » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:16 am

"Roger that...Vector five-five-seven...brake...brake...hold it...slowly now" The Pilots voice was steady.

The dropship shuddered for a moment and then it was completely silent. The security bars where returned to their home positions with a slight hiss. "Handshake complete...opening airlock...welcome back guys" The Pilot said.

The Marines gathered their weapons and gear and walked down the lowering belly ramp into the USS Costaguana. Air rushed in as it opened and the familiar smell of the hangar struck against them. The hangar was starting to feel like home, or part of the home at least.

The Costaguana was already heading back to Gateway station. It would reach it in less than an hour. The Marines of 8th Platoon spent this hour cleaning their weapons. MacGuires remains were moved to the small morgue section of the ship where her body would be frozen down waiting for burial. Damaged armor components were replaced with new and the Marines talked about the mission.

After the Marines had cleaned up and changed into clean outfits they lined up in front of Sergeant Caden.

"Ok listen up" Caden said.

"This was a bad one. We didn't get enough intel and we came through this relatively unhurt." He paused for a second. "We lost MacGuire on this one...and I have just got word that Minuteman will not recuperate within the nearest months" Caden continued.

"Things went bad as soon as we landed. The top team managed better and fought their way down through the abandoned complex unhurt. Well done everyone. The ground team was hindered by the massive steel door, which fortunately was opened for us. The Cultists had no intentions of surviving. Part of me still thinks it was too easy..." Caden said...his eyes trailing off into the horizon.

"I talked to HQ earlier this evening. I have some good and some bad news...the good news is that we will recieve a replacement for Minuteman shortly" Caden said.

"I also have a few field promotions to hand out...Steel!" Steel sprung into attention. "You have been promoted to Sergeant by the HQ on recommendation by me." Caden shook Steels hand. "Take good care of these guys!" He continued sincerely meaning what he said. Steel saluted and returned to the line up.

"Private Bojan...you have been promoted to Private First Class on my recommendation" Caden shook Bojans hand firmly. "Private Green, you have been promoted to Private First Class" he walked down the line. "Morrison, you've just become promoted to Corporal!" he shook Morrisons hand and walked down to Gagarin. "Promoted to Private first class Gagarin!" He continued to Honeysett. "You have been promoted to Private First Class Honeysett" Caden said. As he shook Honeysetts hand he leaned closer whispering. "What the hell is up with those smiley faces?" he waited for the answer and then walked back infront of the platoon.

Caden cleared his throat before continuing. "The Bad news is that I, Carter and Chappell will leave you now" The news struck like a lightning rod literally jolting the Marines. "We three have been hand picked to start up a new unit back on Earth. I really don't know more than that. What I know is that we are initially just on leave from you, so we might return to you later on" Caden concluded.

"You have two days shore leave here. Be back onboard here on Tuesday at 10.00 for your next briefing. It was a pleasure to work with you" Caden saluted them. "Carter, Chappell...follow me...we leave for Earth immidiately!" Caden turned on his heel and walked out of the hanger.

Site admin

Apachetear
Second Lieutenant

Re: Turn 29

Post by Apachetear » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:50 pm

The GM wrote:"What the hell is up with those smiley faces?"
Grinning slightly, Jacob whispered back chuckling slightly "really un-nerves the enemy...they don't know what to think"

When he heard of the promotions, Jacob's chest swelled 'hot damn! A promotion, like this - well I'm happy...no doubt about it - and Green not moving, it's always good having someone you know you can trust at your side in a fight, and so - he was glad, in a kind of selfish way, that he wasn't made squad leader...

Then upon hearing of the people who were departing, Jacob looked at them a little sadly, but knew that...if they all survived until a conflict where they were assigned together, the 'old friends' card would get him a few drinks bought for him...suddenly it didn't seem so bad that they had to leave, all he had to do now was survive until then.
Pvt. Jacob "smiles" Honeysett

Pulse Rifle
Shotgun
Pistol
8" Dagger
12" Shortsword

HeavyGlenn
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Turn 29

Post by HeavyGlenn » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:46 pm

The promotion hit Ronald in the same why as woman get to hear that she was pregnant. He smiled, starring off into the air and when Caden left he turned to Honeysett, shouting happily like he was insane and anyone who didnt had glasses could see tears in Greens eyes. The broad man grabbed or at least tried to grab Jacob, hugging him over and over again in a way just a big broad dumb guy can. And just after a few seconds and jumped around slightly, cheering and punching in the air. Even none tried to grab Ronald and wrestle him down he kept on for two minutes and then stood panting, smiling like hell. He thought back on his father and the rest of his familly, he knew they were proud now cause they were in heaven, watching him...
an Donaldson

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Turn 29

Post by pants » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:06 am

"I also have a few field promotions to hand out...Steel!" Steel sprung into attention. "You have been promoted to Sergeant by the HQ on recommendation by me." Caden shook Steels hand. "Take good care of these guys!" He continued sincerely meaning what he said. Steel saluted and returned to the line up.
Nick tried to get his head round this new turn of events. He had only been a squad leader for the last couple of months or so and now he'd been promoted to Sergeant! He had thought that in the last couple of weeks he had started to get the hang of leading his squad, and now he was being asked to lead the whole platoon. Without a doubt it was going to be the biggest challenge of his life but one which he felt ready for.
"You have two days shore leave here. Be back onboard here on Tuesday at 10.00 for your next briefing. It was a pleasure to work with you" Caden saluted them. "Carter, Chappell...follow me...we leave for Earth immidiately!" Caden turned on his heel and walked out of the hanger.
As Nick watched Sergeant Caden leave the hanger, while he saluted his departing form, it brought home to him that now he was the Sarge and was going to be responsible for the lives of the rest of his platoon. He suddenly felt a little nervous.

However he felt some of his confidence return as he watched Green celebrating his new promotion.

"Congratulations Private's Green and Honeysett, sorry that should be Private's First Class Green and Honeysett!" Nick had a huge grin plasted on his face as he walked over to the two marines and shook both their hands.

"Well Ronald, seeing as your now drawing a higher pay packet, are you prepared to blow some of it on doing some partying? What about you Jacob, up for some R and R?" he asked both of them.

Then Nick got a weird look on his face.

"Damn it! I almost forgot my promise to the rest of the platoon!"

Nick looked around for the rest of the platoon noting where they all stood.

"Now hear this! All marines are invited to have a drink with the new sergeant tommorrow at 18:00! The first round is on me, if you don't drink you can have a cola, lemonade or whatever but I would like everyone to attend so that we can get to know each other a bit better. Also congratulations to all those marines who got promoted, you deserve it! Has anyone got any suggestions about where we should have our drinking session?" Nick waited to hear what the platoon had to say.
Zoe Barr
Chief Petty Officer

Return to “USCM 1.0 - Andromeda Campaign”