Turn 7 Into the Dark

The first delta dogs campaign. Terminated.
User avatar
Pale Rider
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1951
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Brunswick, Georgia
Contact:

Turn 7 Into the Dark

Postby Pale Rider » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:21 am

Date: 10th November, 2080AD, 17:00UT
Location: Vier, Near Karlstadtneu
Operation: Zenus Mishap
Mission timer: 15:45

Morrison and his three volunteers began their descent into the dark abyss, the tunnel slanted at approximately a 55 degree angle and the walls began to slant inward, the freshly developed walls closing into roughly 2 meters in diameter. The dim light of the shoulder mounted lights, strengthened in intensity as they descended deeper into the cavern. Morrison checked his GPS tracker and realized that they had traversed almost 28 meters when they came to an intersection, the tunnel continued on to the left or the Marines could turn right. The Tunnel at the T-section seemed to be older than the current tunnel; its walls looked to be almost tooled, and seemed to have some form of support structure shoring them up.

Is it Left or Right?
Storyteller
tarpshack
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:30 pm

Turn 7 Into the Dark

Postby tarpshack » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:43 am

Since Tarik was on point, Joe kept the incinerator slung and readied his sniper rifle as they moved through the tunnel. The fact that the tunnel had closed in on them was discomforting. Joe kept his eyes peeled for any evidence of life, movement, or danger and hoped that the tunnel wouldn't get any smaller.
Atypicalkiller
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:59 pm
Location: Deep Space

Turn 7 Into the Dark

Postby Atypicalkiller » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:45 pm

Tarik kept his weapon at the ready...he wasn't sure what he was looking for but he kept his cool...unfortunatly in this lighting anything that moved was going ro be torn to shreds reguardless...He wouldn't take chances...friendly or not he'd open fire...they came to a intersection...
"Morrison...we're only four men splitting up anymore would most likely be a bad idea...but it's you call..." Tarik looked down both ways..to see the best he could..


(OOC PR Roll them bones..Intuition/Awareness. )
Last edited by Atypicalkiller on Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCM
BootCamp GM
Corporal Tarik Khan
User avatar
Altair
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:22 pm
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

Turn 7 Into the Dark

Postby Altair » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:31 pm

All of the men didn’t feel easy, even Altair who probably had the most stable personality of the four begun to have second thoughts about the decision to come down the hole. Not that he had much choice but the boy was sure if he had refused, they would have left him behind no questions asked, but he didn’t. Altair was not claustrophobic and he hoped that he was not the only one, since right now was neither the time nor space to find out about your fear of enclosed spaces. The boy was just glad that he was not alone, since it was much easier to travel in a group.

Not long after they had descended the group had arrived at the intersection. Giving their leader the option to choose the direction he wanted them to go, the boy drew his knife and tried to scribe an arrow on both of the walls of the tunnel they came from, pointing towards the exit, at the same time making sure that it was easy to see if they would be in a hurry to leave. Marines might have enjoyed advantages the future technology had brought with it, but Altair wanted to put a safety guard as old the humanity itself, just in case the other methods failed to get them out of this labyrinth.

Replacing his knife, Altair sat down, just as he examined the ground for any signs of tracks these creatures might have left behind. Not that he was good at tracking but it never hurt to try. Finishing on his quick examination of the ground, Altair looked at the motion tracker just as he tried to make out, which way these creatures go, that is if they showed on the screen. Reporting the readings to Morrison, the boy waited for their leader to make a decision.


Pvt. Altair Konterran
tarpshack
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:30 pm

Turn 7 Into the Dark

Postby tarpshack » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:41 pm

The tracks were easy enough to see, but Joe mentioned the obvious anyway, "Well, we've got those same tracks we saw up on the surface down here going down both tunnels, but that doesn't tell us much." Maybe Altair would have better luck with the motion tracker.
User avatar
Jocke
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 944
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:50 am
Location: Philly

Turn 7 Into the Dark

Postby Jocke » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:08 pm

"Tarik, we're heading right."



Morrison turned around to face Altair: "See anything on the tracker yet?"



"Harmon, how are you hanging in back there? Everything clear at your end?"



Morrison tried his best to hide how nervous he felt about this- but he couldn't just sit topside and not do anything. As they kept going, Morrison looked closely at the walls, his eyes searching for any sign of that strange mass that the bugs seemed to manufacture.
LcCpl Conrad Heart
Atypicalkiller
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:59 pm
Location: Deep Space

Turn 7 Into the Dark

Postby Atypicalkiller » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:36 pm

Khan turned right as ordered..Morrison seemed pretty certain, but the bead of sweat rolling down his face was a dead give away he was nervous. TK let the others examine the walls he kept his attention at 12 surveying the overhead and the deck..If anything was alive the eyepiece and tracking device in the M56 would detect it immediately...Altair and Harmon were quiet..but most likely equally nervous..Khan wasn't nervous at all...

In fact this seem to be the most peaceful part of the mission yet..No LT's beating up theives..no psychos trying to kill themselfs..the drama was over..and not a moment too soon..Tarik needed full concentration on what was happening..a clear head would help..

(OOC PR continue rolling for awareness/intuition/Spot Ambush)
SCM

BootCamp GM

Corporal Tarik Khan
tarpshack
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:30 pm

Turn 7 Into the Dark

Postby tarpshack » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:36 am

"Harmon, how are you hanging in back there? Everything clear at your end?"



Up until this point, Joe had been pretty comfortable being the 'tail' since he was confident that anything they'd encounter would have to go through Tarik, Morrison, and Altair before getting to him; while the rest of the squad was guarding his ass from the surface. As they headed down the right fork, Joe realized that an ambush from the rear was now possible if something came up from the unchecked left tunnel. With that thought, Joe slung his sniper rifle and lit the pilot on the incinerator. Joe walked backwards covering the team's rear.

"All clear and good back here, but now I'm worried about something coming up from behind. I'm switching to the incinerator and watching our ass, ok?"



(OOC: PR keep rolling Spot Ambush, Awareness, and Intuition here as well please.)
User avatar
Altair
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:22 pm
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

Turn 7 Into the Dark

Postby Altair » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:37 pm

By now Altair was totally absorbed in what he was doing at the moment - monitoring the readings of his motion tracker. It helped to be busy at the times like this, when your mind was processing the information it received from the many receptors. Being busy didn’t give the brain enough time to understand just how dangerous the current situation really was.

Morrison turned around to face Altair: "See anything on the tracker yet?"


Altair looked at their leader for the moment before absently nodding and taking a few seconds to process the information the motion tracker showed, trying to remember his training. Altair still didn’t quite feel right using this piece of equipment but the knowledge was slowly coming to him. The instructors said that in closed spaces motion tracker was not as good as on open terrain but right now they had no other choice. The motion tracker was only giving an occasional faint blip and from what Altair could tell their target was moving away from them.

[b]“The target always moves away from us Bossâ€
Pvt. Altair Konterran
Atypicalkiller
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:59 pm
Location: Deep Space

Turn 7 Into the Dark

Postby Atypicalkiller » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:35 pm

"Aint' shit up here either.." Tarik called out randomly after Altair's and Harmon's reports...


The shoulder lamps made them a dead give away, earlier Khan had tried to extend his as far as possible from his head. He knew in this lighting the lights would be an easy target, but Hell without them they'd be going in circles in the dark.

The lucky bastards topside were probably kicking back and relaxing whilst this crew nearly shit their pants with each step. There was tension in the air and everyone was almost gagging on the auroma. Tarik stopped for a moment and took a deep breathe, then continued onward. He was over concentrating and getting tunnel vision. Come on stay loose... Khan considered as he tried to ease up a little.

"Hey Bossman, do we have any flares....or something we could shoot down this tunnel to illuminate it..we seem to be pretty bright.." Tarik wanted to see whatever was looking at him. Altairs Report of something moving away from us might of been leading them somewhere..."At least if the rest of the tunnel was lit up we might not be such an easy target.." Tarik was willing to sacrifice the element of surprise, if indeed it had not already been compromised. His question is was Morrison willing to do the same?
SCM

BootCamp GM

Corporal Tarik Khan
User avatar
Pale Rider
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1951
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Brunswick, Georgia
Contact:

Turn 7 Into the Dark

Postby Pale Rider » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:24 pm

Date: 10th November, 2080AD, 17:15UT
Location: Vier, Near Karlstadtneu
Operation: Zenus Mishap
Mission timer: 16:00

Fourteen meters into the tunnel and the ground begins to slope downward, the terrain still crisscrossed with footprints, the lights cast a soft glow around the marines as they descend deeper into the depths of the planetary crust. The air is humid, and has a faint decaying odor almost a sickly sweet smell, not pleasant but, not altogether disgusting either. Stepping forward, Tarik stumbles to his feet as the ground seems to disappear beneath him. Landing roughly, but on his feet he realizes he is on a steeper incline than previously.



Suddenly, Altair’s eyes are ripped from the almost machine like quality walls by the sound of a rapidly growing beep. It grows louder and louder as a solitary blip begins advancing up the tunnel in which they were heading.

Storyteller
Atypicalkiller
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:59 pm
Location: Deep Space

Turn 7 Into the Dark

Postby Atypicalkiller » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:28 pm

"Argh.." Tarik whined as he misplaced his feet...this all but warranted more lighting..."Step down.." he called out to his fellow squad as he stood back up and took position and heartstopping beep is heard..and another...increasing in frequency.. Aww shit.. Khan thought to himself as he planted his feet in the ground and readied himself to shoot...

"Orders?" Tarik's finger inched closer to the trigger of his M56...he glanced down at his grenades reassuring himself of there position. His eyes looked all around the tunnel ahead of him..he remembered Honeysett saying to check the deck and overhead at all times.. He moved his eye piece down again and hoped it would pick up whatever was out there before it was too late..



(OOC PR Roll for awareness...third times a charm..)
SCM

BootCamp GM

Corporal Tarik Khan
User avatar
Altair
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:22 pm
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

Turn 7 Into the Dark

Postby Altair » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:36 pm

Tarik’s advice was indeed a good one. Altair remembered the flare their instructors have used on one of the training missions in boot, what was it called again? Starshell? The boy knew that it was fired in to the air and that once it reached 200m the parachute would open and the shell would provide light for the next 45 seconds. Altair just wondered what would happen if they would use it down here, but alas he was not the leader and the decision was not for him to make.

Altair was startled out of his thoughts when his friend grunted landing roughly on the steep slope, the boy was glad that these creatures didn’t make any pit traps - one fall like that and you could be instantly dead on some kind of debris. Those primitive but most deadly traps where usually set up to ward off against some unwanted visitors. Instantly a history book came to Altair’s mind, a book that described the traps, the early civilizations have made, among them – the Egyptians and the Aztecs.

Taking a few breaths to get used to the stale air Altair was about to warn his team about the perils the ground could hide, when suddenly his motion tracker came alive. Taking a look at the monitor the boy swallowed.

[b]“Boss something or someone is approachingâ€
Pvt. Altair Konterran
User avatar
Jocke
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 944
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:50 am
Location: Philly

Turn 7 Into the Dark

Postby Jocke » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:55 am

"Atypicalkiller" wrote:"Orders?"


"Make sure it's not a colonist before you kill it. See anything on the IR?" Morrison struggled to keep his voice calm.



[quote=""Altair""]“Boss something or someone is approachingâ€
LcCpl Conrad Heart
tarpshack
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:30 pm

Turn 7 Into the Dark

Postby tarpshack » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:47 am

"Harmon, how's your IR, still clear?"


"Still nothing," Joe replied uneasily.



Joe's eyes were wide open as he struggled to catch a glimpse of anything in this dark tunnel. The shoulder lamps seemed to light them up more than it lit up the tunnel, and he couldn't see anything on the IR.

(OOC: But please keep rolling intuition and awareness for me, PR)

Return to “USCM 1.0 - Delta Dogs: First campaign”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest