Turn 12 - Knee deep

The 11th campaign
Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Turn 12 - Knee deep

Post by Nick » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:28 am

Unidentified Asteroid, near space trade lane, In vicinity of communications relay
Mission timer: 01.22.13

"I'm OK, thanks. I took something in the calf, but I can still move. Thank God it wasn't a round or my leg would be gone." Dirk said as he stood up.

"Good, we'll check it out when we get out of this crap. I'm mostly worried about your suit holding up, increase pressure somewhat so you don't get some crap inside until we can tape the hole"

Even in the advanced 22nd century duct tape was still the way to fix stuff, especially leaky stuff that needed fixing before quick.

"Circle waggons people, Dirk and me in the center. Keep it close, the mist limits our view so switch to IR" Ericson said, amost whispering from tension. The aliens had withdrawn after Samanthas last burst, only a shriek had been heard but she surely had struck them. "Maybe they are regrouping." Ericson looked at her compass, but the needle only swung aimlessly back and forth, the asteroid lacked an iron core so there were not fields to align itself after.

Suddenly they could see that walls creeping in closer as they moved through the small pellets. The floor also started to slope upwards and soon they were standing next to a wall. The material the same glassy green as before but without any hint of an ornament or picture inside. A faint rumble could be heard as well as felt through the soles of their boots.

"Dirk get that hole patched up" Ericson said and gave him a roll of silvery tape.

A faint orange light could be seen through the mist some distance away.

<<actions>>

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Re: Turn 12 - Knee deep

Post by Obi » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:01 am

Glancing at his magazine indicator on this side of his rifle, Obi frowned at the reading. 20 rounds, better change out while I can. Obi thought as he quickly carried out the well practiced reloading drill.

"Check your ammo people, reload if you have to." Obi directed calmly over his tactical headset as he addressed the rest of the platoon.

Taking his position with the rest of 1st Squad the battered platoon began to move forward. Obi swore softly to himself as his vision was hampered by the ever present layer of mist, that the aliens had so swiftly disappeared into. The LT;s voice came over his headset in soft whisper.
"Circle waggons people, Dirk and me in the center. Keep it close, the mist limits our view so switch to IR"
Obi hit a key on his EVA suits forearm control unit touchpad and his helmet HUD switched over to IR mode. No one spoke as the marines moved slowly foward, Obi eyes and rifle in constant motion as he covered his arc.
[iLooks like we are going up.][/i] Obi thought as the ground became to incline slightly upwards. As the LT's strained voice came through the headset again,
"Maybe they are regrouping."
Obi grinned as he retorted. "No way, more likely we got them demoralised."

<tag> ALL
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:09 pm

"Dirk get that hole patched up" Ericson said and gave him a roll of silvery tape.

"Yes Ma'am" Dirk said as he took the duct tape from the LT.

Turning up the pressure in his suit as Lt Ericson had told him, Dirk taped up the hole in his suit. After putting four layers around his leg he handed the tape back to her.

"Thanks Ma'am, I'm good to go" He said as the men and women circled around the two Marines.

As the walls closed in and the floor sloped upwards Dirk looked at the faint orange light in the distance. It seemed that the light might be there only chance to move onward.

"Lieutenant, it could be that the Xenos aren't coming down here after us because they know better than to get stuck down here. They adapt and learn quick. In my opinion we should move out towards the light, or at least send a pair of scouts forward." Dirk said in a low voice

<Tag Lt Ericson>

Duncan
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Duncan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:53 am

Duncan hustled towards Ericson and Pitt. "Ma'am, Sir. I think we need to check the light with IR first. These pellets, I think they're fuel. This shifting is to sluice the fuel into the furnace or reactor or whatever's down there."

What the Hell am I doing here? Duncan thought. Why did I leave Yuma to come here? I don't want to die here, in this place.

Rascal
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rascal » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:38 pm

Nick wrote:"Circle waggons people, Dirk and me in the center. Keep it close, the mist limits our view so switch to IR" Ericson said, amost whispering from tension. The aliens had withdrawn after Samanthas last burst, only a shriek had been heard but she surely had struck them. "Maybe they are regrouping." Ericson looked at her compass, but the needle only swung aimlessly back and forth, the asteroid lacked an iron core so there were not fields to align itself after.
Duncan wrote:Duncan hustled towards Ericson and Pitt. "Ma'am, Sir. I think we need to check the light with IR first. These pellets, I think they're fuel. This shifting is to sluice the fuel into the furnace or reactor or whatever's down there."
"Copy, el-tee", Rascal muttered before perking up with a sarcastic "Nothing like being outta a frying pan and into a fire, eh fellas? Pun intended of course"

He flipped down his helmet's IR scanner, keeping an eye on both the readout and the area around him. He wasnt about to put himself in a worse situation than he already was. God willing, those things would have to swarm him to take him out like the others. He may be just a lowly rookie, but that didnt mean he was one to mess with. He checked his ammo readout, dropped the near empty clip, slapped in a fresh one, and racked the bolt. Payback time.

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:58 pm

Samantha glanced at her ammo counter after Obi mentioned that they should all check thier magazines and saw that her readout read 83; she had fired two short, controlled 6 round bursts; just like they taught you at boot.

Glancing towards the orange light; Hall flicked her IR eyepiece down and spoke up into her helmet mike; "Uh...Lieutenant? Sarge? Any idea what that light is?"; Samantha gestured towards it with her Pulse Rifle; and then slipped the weapon back into the crook of her arm and pointing towards the light; ready to rock n' roll if necessary.

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Sixtus looked towards the light at Samantha's question.

"Could be phosporic luminescence, or a Marine's chemlight." he muttered. He checked his pulse rifle. A red 95 glowed up at him. He hadn't even gotten a chance to put some suppressive fire on the xenos. It was a little embarrassing to be sure. He hoped that would turn around soon.

Note to self, add grapple guns to standard inventory. he thought to himself.

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:30 am

"Could be phosporic luminescence, or a Marine's chemlight."
Obi nodded in agreement with Quinn's assessment. "Probably from one of the poor bastards in the in the other platoon. I think we can not worry about finding any survivors." Obi shook his head as he realised the fate that the other marines had likely met. It isn't right, it is no way for a marine to die.

<tag 1st squad>
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:22 pm

"Lieutenant, it could be that the Xenos aren't coming down here after us because they know better than to get stuck down here. They adapt and learn quick. In my opinion we should move out towards the light, or at least send a pair of scouts forward."
"Yeah, thats a good thought if there ever was one. Move out people. Keep the perimeter, I don't want any of these sneaky fuckers to crawl beneath the surface of this...whatever it is" Lt Ericson held her pistol at high ready in one hand while moving towards the light.

kbeir
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by kbeir » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:32 am

Joe managed to steady himself in the "medium" they found themselves in and gave a quick glance to his ammo counter and confirmed his fears.

The digits glowered at him in the dark. He felt a dread rain down that maybe if he'd have actually got involved with the fight rather than sit and be shocked he could have done something to prevent some of his fellow Marines from...

buying it.

He stood ready to move out as soon as Corporal Morse put them in order and got them going. He tried a deep breath but it only came in ragged.

Forget it Joe. You got this...

Return to “USCM 2.1 - Kaus campaign”