Some changes to the game

How to join, advice, Q&A, general discussions
Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Some changes to the game

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:41 am

I have decided to go away from the campaign system and go over to a mission system where each mission is completely disconnected from the one before. This is to add more variety to the game and it is also an effort to make the missions a little more inspiring. I will also try and keep the missions under 10 turns, however if things are still interesting and awesome at turn 10 that is highly fluent naturally.

I hope you will like the changes!

By the way if you have any idea on how to improve the game please share here! A would be player contacted me and was concerned that the game was too stat based? I disagree as I feel that stats and a detailed character is what makes for a RPG rather than freeform. It also eases up for me as I can translate the character directly to the rules I am using (Aliens Adventure Game).

Nick the GM

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Re: Some changes to the game

Post by maxvale76 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:25 pm

Hey Nick!

When you say that each mission will be disconnected from each other...do you mean that one mission won't impact the next (i.e. in Mission X we encounter NPC Joe; in MIssion Y he's become the villian) so that in the above example, we'd never again encounter the NPC....but do our characters remember each other and will be considered to have still gone on all these missions together?

I guess what I'm asking is that will Samantha be able to talk to Morse about dragging him away from the Rebel ambush in the next mission....or will it be like that last mission never actually happened?

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:40 pm

Ya I was wondering the same thing. I like the way we have the various missions that we have done, at least for those of us that have been here for a while. Cus my character was shot, and just given who he is, that's probably going to be brought up a lot. And I'd hate for that portion to be left disconnected.

- Also, the only thing I had a bit of confusion on is just 'where' people were. We were moving really quickly and in different places to where it was hard to keep track of where everything was. I liked how a few years ago we had like maps, with listing of where each group was. But I get that may be a bit time consuming, and difficult, so I don't think it's 100% necessary. I'm just mentioning I like it when I know exactly where things are.

Nemo
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Nemo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:44 pm

I know I've not been here long, just a couple of missions, but I thought I'd throw my perspective in.

I'd like to see a more regular posting style (I know Nick's just had a baby so this may not be possible), where the GM posts on day X, the senior players post on day X+1 and every one else posts after that. This is purely because I don't like seeing posts that consist of Grunt A asking his squad leader what to do. Its a personal irrritant so don't take it too much to heart.

Secondly, maps would be awesome, but I do know they take up a huge amount of time to prepare. If we can have one for a mission, that would be great, if not, I'll survive. They add to the flavour, but are not completely necessary. Also a slightly better indication of weather conditions and times would be appreciated, so I can include the situation better in my posts.

Thirdly, and finally, although you've decided to move away from the campaign style, I still think the missions should be linked, even if they're not in the same star system, as watching your character grow, and seeing the relationships between them and the other characters develop is as interesting as blowing some rebel/Alien to the middle of next week.

These are all my own personal views, and I won't run off crying if you ignored them all.

Nemo.
Pvt Norman 'Al' Capone - Squad Smartgunner

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:19 pm

Yeah your characters will be the same, but rather than a campaign with a certain theme we have a single mission. Your characters will still evolve and gain new skills and experience.

I will draw some maps! ;D

The map thingy is actually, in part, due to me switching from Win to Os X. I have not found a good free image processing program yet.

//n

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:20 pm

Yeah your characters will be the same, but rather than a campaign with a certain theme we have a single mission. Your characters will still evolve and gain new skills and experience.

I will draw some maps! ;D

The map thingy is actually, in part, due to me switching from Win to Os X. I have not found a good free image processing program yet.

//n

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:20 am

To clearify there will be little difference from a regular campaign, but instead of a bundle of missions being connected each mission will be standalone. This mean less work for me and more ability to focus on the individual mission. You will however still be part of 3rd brigade 2 battalion 1st platoon. The platoons mission statement will be slightly modified however being more akin o a rapid response strike team as featured in the Aliens movies. This means less full scale war scenarios and more cramped abandoned space stations :)

//N

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:22 pm

I'm good with this. Cus those big campaigns did kinda feel a bit hit or miss. (Like how we did that awesome thing on that colony where we lost like 5 people fighting the Aliens, then we went to New York to fight 2 Aliens that we never saw.) We're a platoon of marines, so we don't need any sort of nemesis or thing like that, since we're all supposed to be faceless anyway. So ya, I like this idea.

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:18 am

I think it is a good direction to go in. We can still have character development, yet not have to worry about the overall big picture implications in the wider universe.

Cheers

Obi
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Return to “The Game”