New join form in the making...

How to join, advice, Q&A, general discussions
Nick
Administrator
Administrator

New join form in the making...

Post by Nick » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:29 am

I am currently working on making a fillable PDF form that will be used for applications. There are several advantages with this. One is that every character will have his or her own character sheet. The other is that every player has access to his sheet at any time and can even download and print it on a nice looking sheet. It will also ease up my work as a GM significantly as I will no longer have to edit anything as I plan to have players upload their sheets themselves through a script or via forum.

Characters can now have a bio and a background on their sheet as well - There is much work left however and I hope I can finish it up this weekend. It is a rather slow process of trial and error for me as I never did fillable PDF forms before...

Thanks for Your patience.

//N

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Re: New join form in the making...

Post by Dugan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:43 pm

Nick I'm sure there is a pdf version of the character sheet floating around on the net. Should save you some trouble if we can locate it.

Edit.

Here found it:

http://www.rpgsheets.com/sheets/191001.pdf

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:31 pm

To those that feel panic just seeing that form - Don't worry I will write up a players guide and post as a PDF as well with a step by step guide.

If that isn't enough I am planning to offer ready-to-play templates as well. I hope Dugan can help me with this...

;D

//N

Zafubern
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Zafubern » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:53 pm

I think it is a great idea! It allows the players to have more control over their characters and interact with the character as well, gives it a more personalised touch and feel.

Caparzo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Caparzo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:04 am

I like it. I already started filling it out.

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:33 am

I will post a second draft with some minor cosmetical adjustments later today. I will then start on the players guide and a system to upload the sheets to the server.

//N

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Post by Dugan » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:24 am

I've seen the second draft seems good. One thing I wanted to mention to players is when filing out equipment you only have to list 'Combat Equipment' in the space provided, this is gear that you actually carry into combat with you. Any other gear is considered 'Non combat Equipment' and is usually stored in your framepack and dropped before entering combat. This second group of equipment doesn't count towards your characters Combat Load.

Combat Load is calculated by your strength and if your 'Combat equipment' exceeds this you start getting penalites to your Combat Actions.

(Nick maybe it'd be worth having a space for peoples Combat Load on the character sheet?).

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:28 am

Yeah I will try and add something like that...

Also I unstickied a lot of old posts - My intentions are to merge these posts into a PDF player guide instead to avoid crowding the forums with one bazillion stickers that at best are hard to navigate...

//N

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Post by Dugan » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:29 am

Nick I'm talking rubbish, there is a space on the sheet for Combat Load. :-[

Caparzo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Caparzo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:19 pm

So our loadout is the stuff ya'll have listed on the starting equipment page right?

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Yeah...I thought You wanted more fields. :)

No worries. Sadly my computer died on me today = total re-install and new computer parts. This sets me back a little bit. Will work on it all day tomorrow...

Trying to get the players guide up ASAP.

//N

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Post by Dugan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:28 am

Nightmare.

No Carpazo it isn't all the equipment you were issued, read my post above and it explains what gear to list there.

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:02 pm

Computer up and running with Win 7 now - Have installed all needed programs and will try and work a little on the players guide. What will take some time is to write up all the support skills and descriptions to them. There are quite a few :o

//N

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:19 pm

Uploaded a new and (final?) revision of the join form. A few cosmetical fixes and a few under the hood fixes as well - Should load faster.

Still slow progress on the player guide. Don't despair though it will come. ;)

//N

Zafubern
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Zafubern » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Instead of updating the PDF and uploading it to the site, how about making the form a part of the site so that all the player needs to do is to update it and save it? Meaning to say, the form is on the web and there is no need to keep uploading the form everything the player stats change. I think it would be easier for both the GM and players.

Return to “The Game”