Combat Flow & Time

How to join, advice, Q&A, general discussions
Dugan
First Lieutenant

Combat Flow & Time

Post by Dugan » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:42 am

When there is any sort of combat 'Phases' are used. In each phase a character is able to use their Combat Actions (CA) to perform any action they want to do (the GM will normally work out what you are able to do in the phase so just decribe your actions). A phase is 2 seconds long.

So once you enter combat try and take this into account, don't assume just because you have shot something its dead, as its up to the GM to roll your shot accuracy, penetration etc to determine if its dead.

Thats why I don't like advancing the story to much in a combat situation as your dealing with seconds rather than minutes of time.
Image Ssg Dugan Simovic, Platoon Sergeant                 
ImageImage

Caparzo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Combat Flow & Time

Post by Caparzo » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:22 pm

Thanks for the explanation.  I have been wondering.
Image Ln. Corporal Louis Colwell
3rd Battalion, 2nd Company, 1st Platoon
1st Squad Smartgunner

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:38 pm

The it is of course easier if the GM helps to bring the story along. I have not done this very good these last weeks. Real life has been tough on me and I have a really bad conscious for leaving You hanging somewhat. So I sat down yesterday to write and work calls - Riot police deployment. Just got home from that...

Again sorry for the slow turnaround this time. Writing new turn now...

Thanks for Your patience, You're great!  8)

//N
Site admin

Caparzo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Caparzo » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:39 pm

No worries Nick, thanks for the great game.
1st Squad Smartgunner

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:50 am

What happened this time?
Current Gear
M42A Scope Rifle
M4A4 .45 ACP caliber Sidearm, Suppressed
Combat Knife
K52 Medical Kit
Flashlight, Flares (6)
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Jean
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jean » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:45 am

I still don't understand any of it. I'm trying to, but the rulebook says the same thing that you just said, and I don't understand that either. I'm trying. This game plays differently than what I'm used to.

Also, Jean threw the chest-burster in an opposite corner before it was shot. So I don't think that the girl that died in the story should have had any bullet holes in her.

Just an observation. But also, yeah I'm going to need more information about the time flow thing. I didn't understand it at all.
Jean Wey - Assigned On-Loan Synthetic from Weyland Yutani.
Model# 406-6/Female

Kurosaki, Ichigo
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Kurosaki, Ichigo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:02 pm

Quinn wrote: What happened this time?
Knowing Sweden, it was probably about football scores or political demonstrations. Japan released a funny video in 2002 about "hooligans' and what to do when meeting a hooligan (for those who don't remember, Japan and South Korea hosted the FIFA World Cup). IN the video, the narrator says to 'watch out for the vikings, they are very tall and blond and drink lots of beer. This adds to their rowdiness factor' or something like that.  :D
Sergeant 黒崎、イチゴ
Third Squad Leader
3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
M41A Pulse Rifle

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:43 pm

Yeah this time it was retard...sorry i mean football related.  ;)

Jean: Combat is played out in "phases" just think of it as short blocks of time. You can write quite much but in a more restricted time zone. If people start bringing the plot along too far the game quickly becomes freeform. No criticism against playing freeform but thats not how we do it here because we have a combat system with rather rigid (and far going consequences for the individual player) we don't do that. The game would deteriorate into chaos in five turns or less...

Hope You understand, I really like Your writing btw.  ;D

//N
Site admin

Jean
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jean » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:37 am

I'll just hang on the heels of the other writers in this story until I understand it in a more hands-on way by doing what I'm doing. I'll understand sooner or later. Until then, I'll just be your loyal android and stick to someone like glue in the story. I assume that I can't go wrong this way.

I'm glad you enjoy my writing :)
Jean Wey - Assigned On-Loan Synthetic from Weyland Yutani.
Model# 406-6/Female

Caparzo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Caparzo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:06 am

Jean I think this was more my doing when I assumed the CB was dead from your and Quinn's writing instead of waitng for Nick to say it was dead and then advancing past it's death with my post.
But apology aside, I still do not understand when to say I am shooting something.  I understand the alertness roll but will I get a heads up if I get something for it? Or do I have to state Alertness roll and then so many fire actions if I detect something to be able to shoot something coming at me?
1st Squad Smartgunner

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:33 am

You are assumed to do alertness rolls all the time. Your characters will also defend themselves automatically and take immidiate action to preserve their own or another squadmembers life. All offensive actions are up to the player as are other actions. This is due to necessity of the medium we are using which is a rather clonky way to run something as fluid and quick as a fight.

//N
Site admin

Return to “The Game”