Gun Talk

How to join, advice, Q&A, general discussions
Ranger2011
Sergeant
Sergeant

Gun Talk

Post by Ranger2011 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:02 pm

Ranger2011 your in the US Army. What would happen if a grunt asked his NCO if he could use his own weapon?
My good man. I'm a Ranger. I'm not the Army. Lol. Jk. When i'm with the Rangers in Fort Benning I can have whatever weapon I want, as long as I can afford to buy and haul it around and as long as I have my license. (Class 3 license) allows me to buy automatic weapons and such. But here in Fort Bragg, I have to store them in the Armory with everything else. Currently I have a Colt Python .357 Magnum and a G36a2 Assault Rifle. If I were to be deployed with the 75th Rangers then I could choose to take either one of these weapons or both with me instead of the standard issue. I love the G36, Germans make the best weapons. I do believe the Polish Police use the G36C...? But sadly, I am selling my .357 and getting a Glock 17. Which I am both sad and happy about. Glock has got to be my new favorite weapon manufacturer. Hopefully, after my six years in the military finally is over, (2 more years cross my fingers), I am going to open up my own security company. Or try and get in to Blackwater.  ;D

Here's my baby, Fire selector, has the whole “Sâ€
Last edited by Dugan on Sun May 24, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private Michael K. Johnson
Motion Tracker Expert, Comm/Computer and Portable Welder Professional

Morse
Captain

Re: Quartermaster's Office (Weapon Allocation)

Post by Morse » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:04 am

I had a decent question.

I was wonderin if there was any way that i could get a hold of an M41A-E2 somehow.

I was readin up on the weapons in this, and thats more my style. Its not a heavy weapon like a M56-smartgun, but it isn't an M41A standard. I never liked gernade launcher additions, and i always liked semi heavy weapons that can handle a bi-pod that aren't quite a mobile turret.

how would i go about gettin my hands on that? 
Last edited by Morse on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Post by Dugan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:04 am

Speak to Nick. Though I'd think the weapon would be pretty much identical in function normal M41A except with a bigger magazine, though I suppose it could maybe do a little more damage as it says the operating forces on bullet rounds are increased.
Image Ssg Dugan Simovic, Platoon Sergeant                 
ImageImage

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:41 pm

Yeah we can talk about issuing one of those after this mission.

//N
Site admin

Raider65
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Raider65 » Thu May 07, 2009 5:17 am

@Ranger2011: Your rifle is missing it's charging handle and that rifle only has a two way selector.
And how is it that it's more powerful firing the same cartridge as the M16, the 5.56 x 45 mm NATO. Maybe over the M4 if it's got a longer barrel giving it slightly more velocity.

The duckbill flash hider is not as efficient as the bird cage ones of the M16. (They tested those on the XM8 and switched to the birdcage type on the later models)

The G36 rifles are nice and good weapons with better gas op than the M16's tho.
Last edited by Raider65 on Tue May 12, 2009 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image  LCpl Erik Stormhurst
ImageImage

Ranger2011
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ranger2011 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:42 pm

Yes I have realized this after posting the photo. It has more than what's on it now. That was after I stripped it. The fire selector is blocked by the switch. There are three settings. The 5.56mm NATO is the same for all the weapons but it isn't always the ammo that makes a gun. The M16A2 has a muzzle velocity of around 970m/s. Which is about 60 more than a G36. However, the G36 operates much like an AK-47 but still retains much of the M16's accuracy and versatility. I can accurately hit a target at 900 meters with a G36. I have trained more with the M16 and only achieved accuracy at around 800...I don't know what it is, the G36 is just better...

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Wed May 20, 2009 3:08 am

The G36 is overall a more reliable weapon because of the roller-back system it uses. Otherwise, it's mostly the little things that count. Like the clear plastic magazines so you can see how much ammo you have left at a glance. Also the integral scope is nice, although it has a tendency to fog up in damp, cold climates with no iron sight backups.

Also I think it's a little lighter than the M-16 due to mostly plastic in it's construction, but I'm not completely sure on that. Personally, I'd take an HK416 for sheer reliability, or failing that a G-36C as a backup.
Current Gear
M42A Scope Rifle
M4A4 .45 ACP caliber Sidearm, Suppressed
Combat Knife
K52 Medical Kit
Flashlight, Flares (6)
Image Image Image

Ranger2011
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ranger2011 » Fri May 22, 2009 10:07 pm

Exactly. I've fired many assault rifles, G36 and M16/M4 included. Other favorites include the AK-47 (which is overrated in my view), the Steyr AUG and many others. OMG. I love the Glock 18 machine pistol. It is AMAZING!!! I wasted a 33 round magazine in less than two seconds...And, there's a fire selector. Awesome. I love guns, also I love cars. Can anyone top a 2003 Honda S2000?  ;D ;D ;D

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Sat May 23, 2009 2:04 am

The Steyr is the standard issue rifle for the Royal Australian Navy (RAN), and the Australian Defence Force (ADF) in general. It is simple, easy to teach and very simple in its operation and use.  However, the M4 is starting to become more common.  Having used both on active operations, i think the M4 has the edge in reliability, manouverability, mission flexibility, in that how easy it is to slap extra kit on it.  Still they both get my thumbs up.
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Re: Gun Talk

Post by Dugan » Sun May 24, 2009 4:49 pm

I've split this topic from the Quarter Master topic as it is discussing real life weapons. Anyhow discuss away!
Image Ssg Dugan Simovic, Platoon Sergeant                 
ImageImage

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Sun May 24, 2009 7:51 pm

On the guns:

I'd prefer the AUG over the M4 mostly because the M4 has a nasty tendency to jam when in rough climates, where the AUG won't do so as easily. I don't like bullpup weapons though, just because of reloading. I practically have to wave the weapon everywhere just to reload the magazine.

Exception to that is the Tavor. I love that thing.

Otherwise for a rifle, just give me an M-14 with scope. I like being the DM anyway.

On cars:

http://optikaituning.com/images/nissan_skyline_gtr.jpg

Oh yeah. Too bad they're not street legal in the U.S.
Current Gear
M42A Scope Rifle
Combat Knife
K52 Medical Kit
Flashlight, Flares (6)
Image Image Image

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Mon May 25, 2009 9:02 am

Quinn wrote: On the guns:

I'd prefer the AUG over the M4 mostly because the M4 has a nasty tendency to jam when in rough climates, where the AUG won't do so as easily. I don't like bullpup weapons though, just because of reloading. I practically have to wave the weapon everywhere just to reload the magazine.
I hear what you are saying Quinn, though i have to say i have never had a issue with any M4 i have used.  In really hot tropical conditions the Steyr is a bitch.  Given how the entire stock is plastic, the bloody thing sweats!  Plus i will agree with the bullpup design, am not a fan of it at all.
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Mon May 25, 2009 12:11 pm

Polish Police use the G36C
The Swedish National Police Task Force also uses the G36C.

We ordinary mortals in the patrol cars use the 9mm Sig Sauer P226 (15 round standard but I have a high capacity at 17 rounds) with the Speer Dot Gold hollow point ammunition. I carry a total of 47 rounds in gun and belt. As backup we use the 9mm H&K MP5A2 converted to firing semi-automatic only with a 30 round clip. We use the Swedish M39B armour piercing ammunition mixed with the Speer Dot Gold.  ;D

//N
Last edited by Nick on Mon May 25, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Site admin

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Tue May 26, 2009 3:56 am

Why use an SMG that doesn't have another function other than semi-auto? At least get a burst function on that thing Nick. Jeez...

And if you've had no problems with your M4 Obi, then good. You probably take care of that thing like it was your first born though.

Also, just finished cleaning my first rifle that I own. Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1. Passed a wire brush and 17 oiled patches down the barrel of that thing. Holy crap was that thing dirty. But now it's good to go!
Current Gear
M42A Scope Rifle
Combat Knife
K52 Medical Kit
Flashlight, Flares (6)
Image Image Image

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Tue May 26, 2009 8:30 am

Why use an SMG that doesn't have another function other than semi-auto? At least get a burst function on that thing Nick

Mainly because our laws are written in a way that requires you to check for effect after each round fired - We've had police officers thrown into jail firing back in self defense.

//N
Site admin

Return to “The Game”