Turn 3 Rifle squad

The 2nd Eightballs campaign
Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by Nick » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:29 pm

The projector started with a subtle humming sound. The image that appeared seemed to float in midair ifront of the marines - Using a special laser technique that had been standard for the last twenty years. The image showed a satelite image of a large forest or perhaps a jungle. Altitude markers where superimposed ontop of the image along with arrows, markers and text. The usual briefing screen.

The arrows moved over the image and showed drop points, extration zones and target areas.

{tag vincent}
Site admin

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by pants » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:26 pm

Date: 17th August, 2080AD
Operation: Training Op

The projector laid out the topography of the upcoming training exercise. It all looked fairly straight forward when it was laid out like this and Nick was interested in seeing what the mission planners had in store for them.

Nick stood at ease while he waited for the LT to start the briefing.

Zoe Barr
Chief Petty Officer

Jocke
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by Jocke » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:36 pm

Looking at the projected image, alot of thoughts went through Morrison's head- it looked like it was going to get hilly- if they where bringing the rucks, he'd have to make sure the FNG's packed them a bit more top- heavy then usual. He'd also have to remind them to keep the insect repellant off the plastic- or it would melt.

He then walked over to Sgt. Steel, and had a cross-armed, short and unaudible conversation with his closest superior officer.

(OOC: Yep, it is true- military-grade insect repellant is so strong it will melt plastic. I forget the name of the active ingridient, however.)
LcCpl Conrad Heart

bull30548
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by bull30548 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:45 pm

"Yikes talk about a handgrenade in a handbasket, um sir." Stepping forward examining the map. "So is this a foot drop or are we going in with an APC? Honestly based on terrain, conditions, and the weight of the APC I think it would sink before we got more than a km without some sort of road. That about the only observation I can make sir. Would you like the tech crew and me work on equipping the APC appropriately for the op?" He would like to say more but knows it not his place to make any other tactical observations.

ergeant Gavin 'Wrench' Jones
Section B Second Squad
Squad Leader
3rd Battalion 2nd Regiment 8th Platoon
"Easy Eights"

Jocke
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by Jocke » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:06 pm

bull30548 wrote:"Would you like the tech crew and me work on equipping the APC appropriately for the op?"

Morrison scooped a lump of dip out from his lower lip, before flinging it, above the short LT's head, into the trashbin in the corner of the room. It was a good 20 feet away. Ofcourse he didn't hit it.

Then, as he inserted another lump of dip into his mouth, he walked over to the fresh private.

"We're going in by foot, as far as I can tell- that canopy looks to dense for and APC drop. Besides, there's nowhere to ride it. And as far as you toying with my M-577, you can just forget about it." Morrison made eyecontact, knifehanding the junior marine "See, if you did- and something went wrong, I would be personally responsible for your F-U. I do not accept those in my squad. Is that much clear?"

Morrison then took a step back, spat some dip on the floor, and smiled at the new recruit; "But I do find your enthusiasm very entertaining. Now watch the briefing- there will be time for QnA later, clear?"
LcCpl Conrad Heart

Apachetear
Second Lieutenant

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by Apachetear » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:31 pm

"What's the weather like down below?" Asked Jacob "If it isn't blue skies and sunshine, we're gonna be in for a hell of a slog to get visuals on objectives, let alone achieve them..."

Jacob took a drag of cigarette and looked at Con and Green, then at the fresh meat, John wasn't it?

"If we're coming in at delta foxtrot - is that a ridge or a river we're dropping on to? Another thing, where are recon on this map currently?"

Looking at Jocke he grinned slightly "So, what do you reckon, skirt round and perform a pincer on the target? What do you think?"

Looking at the map, Jacob thanked any deity paying attention that this wasn't a live mission...no-one needs to be dropped downhill of a lookout tower and be expected to slog towards it...
Pvt. Jacob "smiles" Honeysett

Pulse Rifle
Shotgun
Pistol
8" Dagger
12" Shortsword

tommymnemonic
Private

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by tommymnemonic » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:46 pm

Well, now I'm just another FNG. I've got no idea what's going on here. A few months of boot, then this? My corporal spits his chew all over the ship... I thought this was the marines? I guess that's why I'm the FNG.

Okay, I've got a handle on the briefing, and these guys have got my back. I'll just stick to my training. When does the cryo lag die off? My recruiter didn't tell me about that. Ugh! These guys seem really confident, wonder if I'll ever be like that.

Gareth tried to blend in, and payed strict attention to the briefing.

Last edited by tommymnemonic on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private Gareth Bren
'Break Shots' Rifleman/Medic
3 Bat, 2nd Reg, 8th Platoon, 2nd squad

bull30548
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by bull30548 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:11 am

Salutes the Corporal "Roger, Sir !" Reaching into a breast pocket pulling out a pack that has 2 cigars in it. "Perhaps after the op sir you will share one with me in celebration of squad 2 kicking ass." Sliding them back in as I step back next to my squad mate. "Hey there I'm FNG Pvt. Jones you can call me Wrench if you want. When we got more time I'll explain how i got it." Holding my hand out to shake.

Section B Second Squad
Squad Leader
"Easy Eights"

HeavyGlenn
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by HeavyGlenn » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:13 am

Ronald just sat and took in the information as good as he could, which meant the man didnt understand a bloody thing. He nodded at any questions someone gave him, he even felt unsure if it was a training mission or a real one.
an Donaldson

Jocke
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by Jocke » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:29 am

Apachetear wrote: Looking at Morrison he grinned slightly "So, what do you reckon, skirt round and perform a pincer on the target? What do you think?"

Morrison scratched the back of his head, as he was taking mental notes on the map.
"First off, that looks like a gorge to me- could be a ridge- but definetly not a river. Rivers don't flow uphill. Question is how dense this jungle is, if it's too dense, then we can't really do a proper pincer-maneouver, since it would take too long. Plus all those topograph lines- Smiles, this is going to be a tough one. It's gonna be hell just to reach the objective." Morrison sighed, spitting between his own two feet.

bull30548 wrote:Salutes the Corporal "Roger, Sir !"
Seeing the private salute sent a shiver down Morrison's spine, reminding the NCO of how little thse guys knew about the real world.
"Jones and Bren, is it? This I will only tell you once, so listen up!" Morrison barked at the two fresh recruits "saluting in the field is known as a 'sniper check', and thus- that is something that we don't do! Infact, unless we're at the parade grounds, don't ever salute me again! Is that clear!?" Morrison instantly went back into his high-strung NCO workmode, when dealing with the two fresh guys.

"And no thanks, Private Jones- I do appreciate the gesture- but I do not smoke."
LcCpl Conrad Heart

bull30548
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by bull30548 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:42 am

"Roger, Sir" giving the thumbs up sign to the Cpl. "I also like to observe that isn't that like a 40 km distance? We got like 2 days to get there so no sleep for the righteous huh? And um speaking of snipers what do we know about that tower I don't want to get fragged before I can engage the bad guys. Much less see them are we going to get enhanced optics for our pulse rifles for such things?" Shutting up again as he realizes he might just overshot his bounds by a foot and a half.

Section B Second Squad
Squad Leader
"Easy Eights"

Jocke
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by Jocke » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:10 am

bull30548 wrote:"I also like to observe that isn't that like a 40 km distance?

Morrison smiled and shook his head- granted, the metric system could be confusing at first- but this should've been cleared up in boot camp.

"No, that is not 40 kilometers. I estimate the distance between D1 and target to be about 8 klicks, and D2 and target to be..." Morrison scratched his nose "say, maybe 12 klicks. So it's a good couple of hours- maybe a day- depending on our load, and timeframe available. Nothing that we don't get paid for private." Morrison ended with a grin.
LcCpl Conrad Heart

Kagaroth

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by Kagaroth » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:27 am

Jimmy looked at his new mates, another bunch of marines on another ship, just a normal day for him. 9 years into the service he got used with those kind of short briefings just before the drop could comence.
bull30548 wrote: And um speaking of snipers what do we know about that tower I don't want to get fragged before I can engage the bad guys.
Jimmy took a quick look at the private then to CPL and said: " No worry pal, I'll take care of each and any sniper down the road to hell and back. Hitman's the call sign and I didn't got it for nothin'"

tommymnemonic
Private

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by tommymnemonic » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:56 am

bull30548 wrote:
"Hey there I'm FNG Pvt. Jones you can call me Wrench if you want. When we got more time I'll explain how i got it."
Gareth shook Gavin's hand.

"Nice to meet you Wrench. I don't have a handle yet, but Gareth, or Bren will do. You got any idea wtf is going on here? Training op huh? How are we gonna take out that guard tower? Oh well, I got my pulse rifle, and the Corporal seems like he's been around the block..."
Jocke wrote:
"Jones and Bren, is it? This I will only tell you once, so listen up!" Morrison barked at the two fresh recruits "saluting in the field is known as a 'sniper check', and thus- that is something that we don't do! Infact, unless we're at the parade grounds, don't ever salute me again! Is that clear!?"
"Do not salute you unless on the parade ground, Aye Aye sir!"
Last edited by tommymnemonic on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private Gareth Bren
'Break Shots' Rifleman/Medic
3 Bat, 2nd Reg, 8th Platoon, 2nd squad

StConstantine
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Turn 3 Rifle squad

Post by StConstantine » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:10 am

Con looked around, he eyed all the new recruits in turn then looked at the star's projection in front of him.
"Right, so we go in follow the path, finish the mission and get out. That seems fair but what do we do if we get in trouble. Weather down there looks like it coul be pretty crappy and I don't think there will be too many place for a pickup ship and comms will get screwed if there is any kind of electrical storm and we might be up a damn crocodile infested creek without a paddle. Talking about crocodiles what about the wildlife. All im saying is that we have too many damn risks for such a simple training excersise and I want some kind of guarantee that if there is trouble we have the ability to get out."

PFC Karl Sarafian
Combat Engineer
"Boom"

Return to “USCM 1.0 - Barnard's Star Campaign”